SuSE 9, where is it available in karachi?karachi computers??

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
zeeshan Hussain
Lance Naik

SuSE 9, where is it available in karachi?karachi computers??

Post by zeeshan Hussain »

Salam PLUCians,

could u plz help me in finding bug free copy of SuSe .i've kept searching the rainbow center the other day.All i got is an SCO Open Server v5.0.5 that dont even have a correct license# on it .i 've checked the Linux pakistan software page,its dont even listed there. could u plz help me in finding a SuSE copy.
and by the way WHERE IS KARACHI COMPUTER?
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Karachi Computer is at first floor of rainbow center, i dont remember the exact shop number, but i guess it is 105 it is just at left when you get upstaris from the main door stairs.

And yes, can you write an Aayat Number with your Quote?

I forgot to mention one thing Zeeshan, you have posted this post in a wrong thread, i dont think it is related to Security, IMHO it should be in general.
Last edited by farhantoqeer on Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's,
Salam,

I did tried to download Suse 9.0 from ftp://ftp.suse.com but its too much slow and you can't download more then two files same time :)

Best Regards.
Last edited by LinuxFreaK on Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farrukh Ahmed
zeeshan Hussain
Lance Naik

Post by zeeshan Hussain »

Salam
hmm, thanx farhan for ur kind attention to my post,its thread and quote.infact i was told by many rainbow ppl that SuSE isnt available but i asked u ppl ,coz i dont believe these Dukan wala's.
and my quote. in fact this is correct now!
mahin_pk
Site Admin

SuSE 9, why it is not available?

Post by mahin_pk »

I have been responding privately and explaining to every one. Why PLUC is not making available SuSE ?

Let me state this in public so that when any one ask about Suse he may kindly be directed to this, instead of discussing that.

1. As a matter of policy at PLUC neither we tolerate Software Piracy nor help or assist in any activity which may promote Software Piracy.

2. SuSe and some other Linux Distro including Red Hat [ any version beyond 9.0 ] are not Free. Unless they are purchased there use would be illegal. Yes they do provide free evaluation copy for their prospective buyers and they do not need our help.

3. We do not see that by not making available demo copies we are hindering the growth of Linux in any way. Our experience tell us if we disscuss any distro make availabe free demo version then we would be generating a demand.

We do not beleive people here asking for SuSe or other Non-Free Distro can afford to pay US$ 40.00-$80.00. What they are essentaily seeking is a CD for Rs 30.00 [ US$ 0.50 ] and by discussing or making available Demo versions what we would be doing is creating a demand.

4. The way Rainbow Center market works is following:

Some one goes to Shop any where in Pakistan and asks for SuSe [ any Linux Distro or any Software ], Shop does not have it, inquiry is sent to wholesaler at Rainbow Center. Now if there are enough enquiries then any Pirate Distributor would be tempted to launch the CD. One most effective way of combating piracy is to control the number of inquiries, if there are no inquiries / demand no one is interested in promoting any Software CD.

You do not beleive us please introduce us to a Distributor willing to sell Debian on 7 CD's, [ every one we reached has turned us down :) ] we will provide the verified masters Free of Cost. There are some more then 180+ other Distro's which any one interested in promoting can get through us all Free of Cost. This offer is for CD Distributors only.

5. Let it be a known to every one that if any attempt is made to sell / promote Pirated CD of any Linux Distro then they can expect some visitors.

6. Un-less their is policy change at PLUC or we get in writing from SuSe [ They have not yet decided ] that they are willing to take the risks of attracting pirates to their Distro, we will not drstribute evaluation version of SuSe and other non GPL Distro's.

7. In future all request for SuSe and other Non GPL Distro's [ Will Post a list at PLUC wiki ] may kindly be dealt with in following way:

a. Point him/her to the Online Store of that Distro, if there is none then find some Commercial Distributor.

b. Point him/her to this message.

c. Ask him / her if you can help him/her in selecting some other Free Distro. You are at liberty to promote / plead any Distro you like as long it is Free.

d. Do not complain if you violate these and your message gets deleted / edited from public view by me. Any questions any suggestions / ideas request for help feel free to reach me through PM or send E-mail to cd@linux.net.pk.
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Mahin_pk,

I really appreciate that you are not supporting piracy. As for Debian 7-CD version, have thought of putting all those images on a single DVD ? A lot of users nowadays have DVDRom installed.

Warm regards
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Tauseef,
Salam,
Tauseef wrote:I really appreciate that you are not supporting piracy. As for Debian 7-CD version, have thought of putting all those images on a single DVD ? A lot of users nowadays have DVDRom installed.
I don't agree with you because every one can't afford DVDRom as you mention in your post. because in Pakistan mostly people belong to middle class and most of them can't afford much money to buy a Personal Computer and you said mostly people have DVDRom Installed on your PC. I can bet with you that if you Put Survey on the Forum then not more then 10 % people have DVDRoms Installed on their Computers :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

In addition to the point LinuxFreak mentioned, DVD will also have the disadvantage that we have no way of verifying DVD copies. We have enough problems as it is with the CD distros. Only way currently is to build the images using jigdo.

I agree that DVD Roms are not nearly as ubiquitous as we'd like to believe. I got myself a hand-me-down dvd drive less than a month ago even though i have 4 boxes at home.
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

. I can bet with you that if you Put Survey on the Forum then not more then 10 % people have DVDRoms Installed on their Computers
10% of total PC owners in Pakistan is a big percentage. Actually it should be more than enough to consider distributing software.

Anyway it was just a suggestion.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Tauseef,
Salam,
10% of total PC owners in Pakistan is a big percentage. Actually it should be more than enough to consider distributing software.

I did not said that you could survey to all over the Pakistan... I just said that if you just only Survey only at your own City then you could see how much people have DVDRoms in their Computer as well as the % you mention.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed