What skills you need to make a Linux Distro

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
mahin
Major

What skills you need to make a Linux Distro

Post by mahin »

Quite often I am asked what skills are needed to develop a Distro.

Among the Linux Distro's Vector Linux is noted for its focus on doing more with less. You need modest hardware resources to run it, it is very stable thanks to its roots [ Slackware ] and some nifty scripting makes KDE load faster as well as perform better as compared with some other Distro on same hardware. If you are not convinced then try it.

Once you have looked at Vector then you realise that 95% Pakistani users do not need a Distro on 7 CD's but some thing like Vector which simply works using the most bloated desktop on Linux [ KDE ]. No matter what ever reason for not using KDE may be it is never that it is less user friendly for newbie. In brief if you have to suggest a desk top to newbie go for KDE in times where hardware is some old machine go for Vector.

What it takes to make a Distro like Vector?

I am posting below what Tony aka Tigger outlined on 5th October when for personal reasons he could not continue. Based upon these specs [ BTW PLUC did advertised way back before Tigger left to seek some one from Pakistan all we received were requests for Internships, Check our Jobs forum ] Mutiny volunteered, is now working and doing a wonderfull job with the resources you will know.

Like Tigger Mutiny also have a full time job and a family. He is assisted by approx four volunteers [ one from Far East, second from South America, third is European and fourth is North American. There was/is one volunteer also member of PLUC but not much contribution ] and this is what it takes to make a good Distro.

Now in four months I have seen that Tigger's perception of skill requirement was correct so I am now posting that here for every one to see.

If there is some interest then it is possible for us to request one of the Vector Developer to guide our members in learning these skills. You should have some of the skills specifed by Tigger but most important is a commitment to learn. There will be NO SPOON FEEDING where ever it is required that will be on closed forums.

Why ? Well this is goiing to be a sort of Virtual Class Room, :) we can not afford better format so we are trying to make do with resources we have. We are not depriving you of any thing, it is free provided you are interested / committed :).

If there is enough interest then we will have some specific area of forums where you can learn skills which enable you to make some meaningfull contribution and learn skill / add project to your profile which will help you when you are looking for a job.

Please feel free to post here or contact me through PM or email, which ever way you feel comfortable. May I add that we have an understanding in principal with certain benefactors who are willing to offer paid Internship for work on specific projects on a case to case basis.

If you are lookiing for a way to earn while you learn then this is your chance, to show your skills and then apply for internship.

Here is the post by Tony aka Tigger:

Here is the skinny on what you need to help Robert out and lead SOHO for the project:

Either be able to script in bash, or have the ability to learn from the scripts that Robert and I have created.

Be able to use dialog and Xdialog in bash scripting - thats what makes the nicely coloured stuff in console mode and the gui stuff like vasm in gui mode.

Know how to manually backup a partition from another one.

Know how to create binary tgz packages from source. It is easier than you think.
./configure
make
checkinstall <----this little app will do a "make install" and create a slack compatible package for you in one step.

Know how to customize KDE and which config options in ~/.kde you need to put in /etc/skel in order for every new user that is setup to be able to take advantage of the custom config.

The willingness to learn as you go and do the best you can.

Be able to give about 30-40 hours per week during the build cycle and about 20-30 for support after that.

Things you don't need to know:

C,C++ or most other programming languages unless you want to get really creative icon_wink.gif
the meaning of life

I am more than willing to help whomever steps into the role to get started and pass on my tips,etc.

I would love to be able to stay and continue as SOHO 3.2 was very popular but I don't have the time. I made the effort to try and stay but I just can't give it the time. I spent more time on it than I mentioned above in the requirements but that would be a minimum.

Robert and I basically have(had) 2 full-time jobs each. Our regular jobs and VL. I have the added pleasure of having 4 kids, all of which are under the age of 7.

It isn't as difficult as it seems but you have to be able to give a large chunk of your time to the project if you want it to work.

You can email Robert or me if you have any detailed questions.

Robert and I are friends and I wanted that to be clear. I haven't left because of any kind of disagreements or anything like that. It is purely due to the fact that I don't have time for work, family and VL all at the same time. If my kids were older, I'd be staying on as they probably wouldn't want to have anything to do with me then anyhow icon_smile.gif but at the ages they are right now, alll they want to do is spend time with me and I want to spend the time with them. They are only this young age once and I will not miss it for anything.

I believe that there are at least a dozen or so regulars that could step into this role quite easily provided they could donate their time.

Regards,
Tony Brijeski
Former Chief Architect
Vector Linux SOHO
Last edited by mahin on Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

Thanks for sharing this info!

I don't have any skill yet, but i was going to start C/C++ and other languages for this purpose but i think that now i should start with bash line programming....

Can you please give me some usefull links for learning these? and also some name of books as sometimes it is difficult to stare the screen for long period of time...

Thanks
Aqeel Zafar
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

Do your self favour and take the easy route.

Go to http://slax.linux-live.org, go to forums and read FAQ as well as download the Tutorial Tomas has written about remastering.

You have to read that, once you are through then contact us again and we can help you [ In Urdu :) ] what you need to do. You must have few Giga Free space to test and learn every thing on your own.

1. Read the theory.
2. Try out Tutorials.
3. Try to copy/emulate others work
4. Then you re-master on your own.

We will help from step 2 and then step 3 is all our's.

You need to spend time but in a focussed manner, depending upon your present skill level it will take few weeks/month for you to re-master on your own.
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

few Giga space :o

ok, let me read the tutorials, then i will come back :)
Aqeel Zafar
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

Asalaam-u-ALikum!

Well, I have read the FAQs but can't find tutorial written by Tomas for remastering anywhere on the site. Am I missing something?

Regards
Barlas
Aqeel Zafar
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

It is there :) look for it even in forum or main page.

You are spending so much time with Vector why not you go with Vector Live ? If you do not have then let me know and I will send you, can send beta any time but final will take time.

Keep it up you may end up as first Pakistan maintainer of a prominent Distro.
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

Aslaam-u-Alikum!

There is something like this if you are talking about it:
Install Slackware linux and then install ovlfs modules or install my kernel package. Then modify to fit it your needs. At the end download Live Linux Script and install it.
but i was thinking that it should be some looong tutorial..
mahin wrote:You are spending so much time with Vector why not you go with Vector Live ? If you do not have then let me know and I will send you, can send beta any time but final will take time.
VL Live Stable is released, isn't stable release is also Final release...
mahin wrote:Keep it up you may end up as first Pakistan maintainer of a prominent Distro.
That looks like a nice aim for me :D
Aqeel Zafar