Linux for laptops

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
nmafzal
Cadet

Linux for laptops

Post by nmafzal »

Hi,
I have a Compaq Armada 1 Ghz, can anyone plz tell which Linux distro is best suited for laptops? I have tried Ubuntu Live Cd, sound . VGA work fine, but when modem (Lucent) was probed it stopped responding , I guess because of Live CD. Besides there isn't any power meter for laptop batteries in Ubuntu. Any ideas? will I have to use one from sourceforge.net? Please do help out, many thanks,
Best,
Nauman
smsaad
Lance Naik

Post by smsaad »

Assalam-u-alaikum,

Actually this isn't a problem with the distro (Ubuntu). Modem is really difficult or some times impossible to configure on linux. You must search the google to find, whether a driver has been written for your modem or not. On the other hand you have power meter available on Ubuntu. Right click on the Gnome panel on top of the desktop. Select "Add to Panel". You will see a window with diffrent application icons. Select "Battery Charge Monitor" from System & Hardware section. Enjoy!
پا کستا ن ز ند ھ با د
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear nmafzal,
Salam,

Use Vector Linux

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
zeshanzia
Cadet

Linux for laptops

Post by zeshanzia »

Hi,

I am also using Fedora Core 5; which is multibooted with winxp in my compaq laptop.

With my little experience; install some commercial linux distribution and not free ones. Reason: A lot of your hardware will not detect or work; you have to read a lot of dry documents to get your hardware working.

I have posted an email on this forum; I am also searching NOVELL's SUSE Linux 10x. If you manage to get that; it would be best choice.

Please note Novell's SUSE and not Open SUSE.

Regards,