24th Unicode conference to discuss urdu issues

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.

24th Unicode conference to discuss urdu issues

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:25 pm

The Unicode Standard (TUS) encodes the basic characters of the Arabic alphabet, as well as a multitude of compatibility characters and presentation forms. The repertoire of Arabic characters in TUS is sufficient for the representation of the three major languages using Arabic script (Arabic, Persian, Urdu), in addition to many other languages such as Sindhi, Kurdish, Jawi, Baluchi, and Pashto, among others. Because of the large number of compatibility characters, users may have difficulty in choosing the best characters for the most compact representation of a particular language. Just as Roman characters are now used by many languages for which they were not originally intended, Arabic characters are used by large number of languages belonging to a variety of language families. Whenever the repertoire of basic Arabic characters proved insufficient for a particular language, it was extended by creating new variants of characters. Sometimes this extension was accomplished through the use of different diacritic marks, while at other times a glyph variant in an Arabic- language context was taken to represent a unique character for a different language.

When does a particular shape represent a different character, and when is it just an alternative shape? Which variations are based on locale, language, or just style? What about the use of numerals in different languages? What compromises are necessary in order to accommodate existing national standards? What are some typographic conventions that have changed over time? How can search engines (pattern matching) cope with the multiplicity of alternative characters? We will examine these, among other common questions, pertaining to choice of characters in Arabic, Persian, and Urdu.

The conference will be HELD in ATLANTA from SEPT 3-5 2003.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby fawad » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:41 pm

Faraz.Fazil,
Usually it's a good idea to just paste an excerpt of the article and link the original article in your post. That way people can't accuse you of plagirising and the reader can go to the original site and read the whole article in the context.

For example, for this article you could have something like

Read more at unicode.com...

Regards
-fawad
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:49 pm

Oh yes fawad, I totally forgot to mention the source.Anywayz here it is folks:

www.unicode.com

P.S there are many ppl here who would not even bother to click a link hehe

Also, I thought people would have enough common sense to recognise this was an extract taken from the unicode website hehe

Anywayz, your point is noted.I will post the links when required.

P.S I never plagiarised any article and i will never do so.

Also sometimes it becomes neccessary to include extracts while making posts, like when helping a newbie who would not even bother to read ur post twice let alone visiting tons of links mentioneed by you.Bu i do agree the source ,if any, should be mentioned.

Thanx again

fawad wrote:Faraz.Fazil,
Usually it's a good idea to just paste an excerpt of the article and link the original article in your post. That way people can't accuse you of plagirising and the reader can go to the original site and read the whole article in the context.

For example, for this article you could have something like

Read more at unicode.com...

Regards
-fawad
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby fawad » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:26 pm

Faraz.Fazil,
I didn't say that you were plagirizing. Sorry if my wording came across that way.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Return to “%s” General