hard disk is making furious sounds like...takk takk

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.

Postby farhanksa » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:59 am

its 40 gb maxtor 5000rpm. detected in bios and also run os 2k and rh but during boot its makes sounds....
problem is there is lots of imp data in it and i dont want to lose the data....

any option to retrive data with out making problem..

wt may be the problem.....
tha controller card of hd got faulty or the innner platter motor os faulty....? should i go for changinf the controller card of hd???
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby sakbar » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:34 am

might be your hdd head not going well. its better to chaneg it asap. i got similar problem & later it blew on my maxtor but its not necessary !! check with ur dealer

--shakeel
sakbar
Naik

WLM: sakbar76
Yahoo Messenger: shakeel_akbar

Re: hard disk is making furious sounds like...takk takk

Postby mahin » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:18 pm

farhanksa wrote:hard disk is making furious sounds like...takk takk
its 40 gb maxtor 5000rpm. detected in bios and also run os 2k and rh but during boot its makes sounds.... <snip>
Seems like your HD is applying for retirement :). On 40GB HD not much can be done consider your self lucky for getting warning.
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

recovery

Postby s7r1k3r » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:18 pm

Assalam-O-Alaekum!

Try covering the HD with a plastic wrapper and then placing it in the freezer for a few hours. This might fix the problem, if it does not, still it would give you enough time to back up the data.
a10n3 s7r1k3r
s7r1k3r
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

ru makaing fun or giving me advice........

Postby farhanksa » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:10 pm

ru makaing fun or giving me advice........:)
first i thought that the power cable of hd is not ok...i detached all cables from cdrom...floopy and other hd...and only pluged in the single hd which was making problem.....

it worked fine but after some time it started again making sound...and i suddenly pluged of the pc...

Try covering the HD with a plastic wrapper and then placing it in the freezer for a few hours. This might fix the problem, if it does not, still it would give you enough time to back up the data.

did u ever try this method....i am afraid my doing this it may lose its few days quickly :) ????
farhanksa
Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:00 pm

This is clearly an indication that something is wrong with your hard disk and it may die any moment...if the problem is serious.

Step 1: Backup your data to another drive
=====

First of all, copy all your important data to another drive.

To do so, attach another drive (it should have an os installed) a the master.And attach the faulty drive as slave.

Copy all the data from the faulty slave to the working master.

Detach both the drives and mark the working drive that has the data now.
and keep it in a safe place.

Step2: Try repairing the faulty drive:
======================

Now you can experiment with the faulty drive, since all your data has been copied to another drive.

Step A
======

AS a first measure, Low level format and zero fill the drive.I have low level formatted my drive with similar symptons and it got absoultely working again.

You need to low level format ur drive and zero fill it when u notice that there are serious errors like logical bad sectors or if ur hdd displays other strange behaviour like failing at times.

Zero fill writes zero on each and every sector and data is rendered unrecoverable by any forensic utility , which is not the case if u only format the drive.

Low level format involves special positioning of the hdd platters to llf the drive.

Low level format and zero fill bring the hdd back to factory condition.

Low-level formatting is the process of outlining the positions of the tracks and sectors on the hard disk, and writing the control structures that define where the tracks and sectors are. This is often called a "true" formatting operation, because it really creates the physical format that defines where the data is stored on the disk. The first time that a low-level format ("LLF") is performed on a hard disk, the disk's platters start out empty. That's the last time the platters will be empty for the life of the drive. If an LLF is done on a disk with data on it already, the data is permanently erased (save heroic data recovery measures which are sometimes possible).

Low level formatting is also done several times in the factory.

TO LOW LEVEL FORMAT AND ZERO FILL YOUR DRIVE:

To perform an lff, you need a utility that is compatible with your hdd.
I use Seagate Disk Manager for my seagate drives.

For maxtor there are utlities too.

Many useful utilities for Maxtor hard drives are available from: http://www.maxtor.com. Whatever scripting they are currently using buries the utilities. From the home page, highlight product support, then on the dropdown, click "Software & Utilities," then, whenever that screen opens, click on "download library.

Maxtor lists several low-level formatting utilities. After reviewing all of them, the one most general utility I will cover here is MAXLLF.EXE. The documentation enclosed with the file indicates that it may be used with all Maxtor IDE drives. Keep in mind that although a manufacturer may claim compatibility, it is your responsibility to ensure that any utility will work with your system. If you want to explore the other fine utilities available for Maxtor drives on your own, you will find them all at the above link.

Before running any utility to low-level format, check to see that the hard drive is properly identified in your BIOS. If your computer cannot find the hard drive, make sure your cables are connected properly and in good repair. If in doubt, replace the IDE cable. If you cannot hear the hard drive start up, try using another power cable (or momentarily unplug the CD-ROM drive or tape drive). Turn the power off and unplug the power cable before removing or changing any cables.

USING MAXLLF.EXE

Download: http://www.ameriwebs.net/groupworks/dow ... lfutil.exe

Purpose: The Low-Level Format utility is designed to return the surface of the media to manufacturing specifications and format the hard drive as it was shipped from the factory.

MAXLLF.EXE is available from the above link, as LLFUTIL.EXE, which includes the executable file and a .TXT file that should be read before using the utility.

To use MAXLLF.EXE, prepare a bootable floppy disk. This disk should be bootable to DOS 5.0 or higher, Windows 95 or Windows 98. Copy LLFUTIL.EXE to this floppy. Restart your computer with the bootable floppy in drive A. Run LLFUTIL.EXE to extract the user files. Before running MAXLLF.EXE, I recommend removing all hard drives except the one you plan to low-level format. Once you choose the hard drive to format and start the utility, ALL DATA WILL BE IRRETRIEVABLY LOST!

Step B:
=====

After the low level format, re partition your drive and reinstall the os.
iF EVERYTHING WORKS GOOD.

IF SYMPTOM STILL PERSIST AFTER THE LOW LEVEL FORMAT AND ZERO FILL, THEN THROW THE HDD AWAY AND GET A NEW ONE.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Re: ru makaing fun or giving me advice........

Postby mahin » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:10 pm

farhanksa wrote:ru makaing fun or giving me advice........:)
<snip>

You are free to Google and if you find that I was not making fun then what do I get :?: A commitment to hold/host regular PLUC meeting in Lahore :)

I could be wrong so do re-check but my understanding is that beyond 10Giga there has been some changes in media etc.,etc of a type that what would have say worked for 2GB/6GB will not work. As far 40GB well each one is a piece in itself, means no two 40 GB HD are identical so you can not swap the controller cards/chips. Some time media from same batch may work.

As far putting it with ice cream :) may give you some time just to copy your data or till you finish your ice cream [ this rule applies only for one/two servings not five liter pack:) ].

Back-up your data then you may discover that by being bit fear less it will keep on working :).
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

Postby farhanksa » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:55 pm

i was not saying u .....i was talking aout putting the hd in cool place....freezer :) ???
farhanksa
Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:58 pm

Farhanksa, why dont u back up ur data to another drive and then low level format and zero fill the faulty drive.

As i explained, it can solve most problems if they are repairable.

As for putting the hdd in the freezer, this has been done before , but with a very less success rate.Basically the freezing is done to make the platters contract on cooling and expand again on coming back to normal temp.But this has to be done on a very specific temp , which unfortunately,u cant do just with a freezer.Also in 70 R% of attempts, it just renders the hdd useless.

So donot put it in the freezer!!

Instead try the Low level formatting and zero fill techniques i explained before..

I have low level format'ed several drives and they got back working absolutely fine.

I have successfully removed logical bad sectors using low level format and i have once repaired a drive with symptoms similar to yours by a low level format and zero fill.

So do try it out and let me know.!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

well i had removed all partitions

Postby farhanksa » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:10 am

aoa

wt i have done is i formated al partitions....
then i deleted all partitions.....
wt i feel is when the hd becomes hot then its starts making sounds.......

after doing all that i installed win98 and it went fine..but then after some time again it started doing again....
so
now the only option left is your method .....llf.
i am just gona do the method u told me thanks :)
farhanksa
Subedar

Postby sakbar » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:37 am

low level format is a good idea.... don my self on my past hdd crashes .. they ran perfect for sometime after it.

u can check any problems of ur hdd from this utlity @ www.ontrack.com

as for the frezzing well i also applied it once only to my home network server hdd & it ran only rwice after that but gave me enough time to copy/backup data. Its not the right idea, used most of the times only when u want to access ur critical data ..

--shakeel
sakbar
Naik

WLM: sakbar76
Yahoo Messenger: shakeel_akbar

Re: well i had removed all partitions

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:09 am

Good luck with the low level format and zero fill then.

Success rate of low level format also depends greatly on how efficient the llf utility is.

Seagate's low level format utility Seagate disk manager is really gr8 and efficient but it is for seagate drives only.

For your maxtor drive, use the lfutil.exe from maxtor or u can give 3rd party products like those from ontrack a try.

IN any case, perform a complete low level format and zero fill and after reboot, repartition your drive with partition magic or with ur manufacturer (maxtor's utility) if they have one.

Donot use fdisk, as it aint as efficient as partition magic.

farhanksa wrote:aoa

wt i have done is i formated al partitions....
then i deleted all partitions.....
wt i feel is when the hd becomes hot then its starts making sounds.......

after doing all that i installed win98 and it went fine..but then after some time again it started doing again....
so
now the only option left is your method .....llf.
i am just gona do the method u told me thanks :)
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

I have tried it.

Postby s7r1k3r » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:37 am

Honest, I have tried it a few times and it works. :twisted: Besides if you search the net, you will find it as a viable solution :-)
a10n3 s7r1k3r
s7r1k3r
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Re: I have tried it.

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:42 am

As i said before, the freezing method does work sometimes..but the success rate is very low.

Also this a highly dangerous method, that can directly render your hdd useless...if cooled for a greater period.

Therefore it should only be used...when the hdd is totally dead and does not even get detected, and its head doesnot even move.

s7r1k3r wrote:Honest, I have tried it a few times and it works. :twisted: Besides if you search the net, you will find it as a viable solution :-)
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby farhanksa » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:00 pm

aoa
unluckily i tried many thing at the night but no succfess....i downloaded the utility from maxtor site and write a bootable floopy of that..then booted from floopy but the problem is when hd gets hot or.....after some time it makes sounds.....some times itsdetected at bios and the utility says that there is no hd....
i havd done llf it took a very long time but during the llf it mads sounds maky times....but i continued to format....there is no much greater success.. i think there is some problem with the motor of the hd.... it happens i think when it gets hot or when voltage level differs..but i tried to use the hd on diff motherboards ..no faida....i will try to work in it today again using the tools F.F told me...

some one recomended me that pls find the same hd card which is screwed on the hd bottom and replace it then llf it...there may be problem in the card that makes some thing reset again and again making sound
farhanksa
Subedar

Return to “%s” General