Mandrake 9.2 is out!

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.

Postby Tauseef » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:19 am

Yup...all distros are not exactly same or exactly equal

great. so you agree on this point atleast.

You even went to the extent of saying that wine could not be run on redhat

Kindly check the installation process of Redhat 9.0. It was omited from the standard distribution as they could not resolve the compatibility issues, which people at WineHQ had to resolve for the proprietry code in RedHat, after it was released/

It is a matter of common sense, that every distro does have its advantages and disadvantages, plus points and negative points

I did not say that Redhat is a bad distribution. I rather mention that we use it as Redhat Enterprise as Server-OS.

I just mentioned that Fedora needs to prove itself once again, while in the hands of new management and with a new name.

Use what u like best

I use RH, Mandrake and Windows, so I have no doubt about what I like and what I don't.

I have already elaborated a lot on the similarities and differences between distros in previous posts

And you recommend all kind of distros to all users :lol:
Tauseef
Naik

Yahoo Messenger: tauseefshazad@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:01 am

Well, of course i know that.You should have said that wine does not come installed by default in redhat and is not included in the redhat setup.You have to download and install it,and it works absolutely well, rather than giving a wrong impression that wine could not be run "at all"

Tauseef wrote:

Kindly check the installation process of Redhat 9.0. It was omited from the standard distribution as they could not resolve the compatibility issues, which people at WineHQ had to resolve for the proprietry code in RedHat, after it was released/
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby fawad » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:42 pm

I just mentioned that Fedora needs to prove itself once again, while in the hands of new management and with a new name.

100% agree on that. Remember, though, that Fedora is still a Redhat project. Redhat engineers will form the 'core' if you will, of the Fedora project. The idea is to have a pretty much leading edge distro where each component is maintained by a person interested in maintaining it (like the author) instead of someone paid to do so (like Redhat engineers).

Think of Fedora as a proving ground for Redhat proper. It'll change rapidly (like they're taking out UW-IMAPd in favor of dovecot), but it'll give you the latest and greatest set of packages. It'll be a win-win proposition for both users and Redhat. Users get a somewhat stable distro with releases every 6 month. Redhat will get packages that have been tested for a period of time to use in their Enterprise application. All without diluting the Redhat Linux name.[/quote]
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:56 am

Well elaborated fawad.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby outstream » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:41 am

i still wonder, what would be the logo of Fedora :P :D
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby slick » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:53 am

9.2 is sweet..better than i expected it to be...:)
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
slick
Naik

Do not try Mandrake 9.2 - check this first.

Postby mahin » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:22 pm

FYI only :

As has been widely reported, installing Mandrake Linux 9.2 can render certain types of CD-ROM drives permanently unusable. MandrakeSoft has issued an errata about the problem, while a list of affected CD-ROM drives is available here. There are reports that the problem has been identified and a new kernel is currently being tested. Users whose computers contain one of the affected CD-ROM drives by LG Electronics are urged not to install Mandrake Linux 9.2 until a workaround is found.

More details:
http://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20031027
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

Return to “%s” General