Novel takes over SUSE

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.

Novel takes over SUSE

Postby Tauseef » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:42 am

http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html

:( Well the only company hat was making Enerprise-Linux a reality on Government level in many countries is now being taken over.

Tauseef
Tauseef
Naik

Yahoo Messenger: tauseefshazad@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:19 pm

FYI , novell also took over another company ximian some months back

Only time will tell how novell handles the former Suse Project and what prices it fixes.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby fawad » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:38 pm

Here's a message from Miguel de Icaza (project lead for mono, Founder of Ximian and GNOME among other things) on one of the mono lists. Nat in this message is Nat Friedman, co-founder of Ximian with Miguel.
Hey guys,

I know that there has been a lot of speculation over Novell, SuSE,
Gnome, KDE and Mono with today's announcement.

We can say that once the acquisition is completed that:

* Novell/SuSE will continue to distribute KDE and Gnome.

* Novell/SuSE will include Ximian Desktop build,
as it is a more fine tuned desktop than the default Gnome
build they ship.

* Novell is commited to build an stable ISV platform (you can
read my blog for some thoughts on this).

* Gtk+, the Gnome platform and Mono use the right licensing
terms for creating an ISV platform.

* We will continue to work on open source projects, and work
in the best way to offer a complete Linux stack.

And lastly, just remember that Nat and myself are in charge of
Novell's Linux Desktop Strategy, so we will do the right thing

Love,
Miguel.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby Tauseef » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:22 pm

hmmm... I see KDE being side staged as Ximian is Gnome based.

With Redhat already almost married with Gnome and Sun Java Desktop based on Gnome. Suse was major player with some serious KDE work on its Server and Workstaion.

Now that Novel is keen to introduce Ximian (another derivative of Gnome ) on Suse, I see less number of vendors using KDE as serious GUI frontend. (Though Ximian is the most usable GUI out there for Linux )

I see a GUI standard emerging after all these years

Tauseef
Tauseef
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:01 pm

I have been using both GNOME and KDE since a long time.
I also have updated to the latest gnome version 2.4.0 and kde's latest version 3.1.4.

IMO, Gnome and Kde are both good, in their own respects.

Only time will tell as to whether less number of vendors use KDE as a serious GUI frontend or not.

Tauseef wrote:hmmm... I see KDE being side staged as Ximian is Gnome based.

With Redhat already almost married with Gnome and Sun Java Desktop based on Gnome. Suse was major player with some serious KDE work on its Server and Workstaion.

Now that Novel is keen to introduce Ximian (another derivative of Gnome ) on Suse, I see less number of vendors using KDE as serious GUI frontend. (Though Ximian is the most usable GUI out there for Linux )

I see a GUI standard emerging after all these years

Tauseef
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby Tauseef » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:42 pm

Well, I prefer KDE over Gnome as I am more inclined towards native C++ api nature of KDE as compared to C++ wraper around pure C object in GNome (Just like Windows)

KDevelop is my favourite development tool and nothing compares to that in Gnome world (Anjuta is a childs play compared to KDevelop).

But Gnome is now preferred gui for Sun Java Desktop and RedHat. (RedHat tweaked KDE to an extent that no one appreciated it, including folks at KDE ), as RedHat is an active participant in Gnome Development aswell.

Suse was the biggest Linux distributor pushing KDE followed by Lindows and Lycoris and Mandrake. While Novel claims that it will keep KDE in Suse , it also has plans to push Ximian (A Gnome variant) further with Suse as it also owns Ximian and plans to include Ximian as standard option into Suse. Which is good and bad at the same time. It is good as Ximian is the best Gnome variant out there (Far better and more responsive than Java Desktop) and it will now come with as standard with Suse. It is bad as it will hurt the KDE market
Tauseef
Naik

Postby zaeemarshad » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:11 pm

Novell has given to the computer world NDS and IPX/SPX which had been used for long within the computer industry. NDS has been a rock solid performer in directory services. With Novell acquiring SuSe i hope they will contribute a lot towards linux development especially directory services.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

WLM: zarshadvirk@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: negativecreep61@yahoo.com
AOL: zarshadvirk

Postby Tauseef » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:42 am

Well I have no doubt about Novel's capabilities. And now that it has become the biggest Linux distribution channel, we'd wee more of Novel/SUSE shrink wrapped products.

I foresee Suse surpassing RHE market share very soon (Which it'd have done even without Novel anyway) . I really like SUSE workgroup mail serer and its management capabilities aswell which are strongest and easiest of any Linux distribution out there.

I was just wondering how much it will hurt KDE project as Suse was biggest distro out there that had focus on KDE. RH, Sun Java Desktop and Novel Ximian are all Gnome based.

Though I like Ximian, a lot of my Desktop Development is KDE/KDevelop based and I ws naturally concerned.
Tauseef
Naik

Return to “%s” General