Linux for Pharmaceutical ERP?

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
waqasalikhan
Cadet

Linux for Pharmaceutical ERP?

Post by waqasalikhan »

Hello,
I work in IT for a pharmaceutical manufacturing and marketing company. recently we have had to purchase licences for our Microsoft software. Though I am all for 'intellectual property rights' It was a drain on our companies resources and has stopped us from purchasing any more computers which we might need ....cost of servers and all is way too much for our medium sized firm.

So my question is .. Can we switch to Linux ..? is it smart ...? Can we develop our ERP software for pharma on Linux? Will it be expensive? Can the SQL and IDA servers run on Linux ? ...

Main question is that can we have a similar system with a central database .. like on windows ?

Please someone give me a few answers and let me know if open source is the way to go
Thanking you
Waqas
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

it depends on your erp solution. can it be moved to linux?

for some things like file sharing and active directory yes you can go to linux. and there is oracle db for linux too. in fact there are many databases BUT there is no sql server or isa for linux.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?