Any chances of getting OpenBSD 3.4 in Karachi....!

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
owaisnaeem
Cadet

Any chances of getting OpenBSD 3.4 in Karachi....!

Post by owaisnaeem »

Is there any way I can get my hands on OpenBSD 3.4 in Karachi ?

Waiting for the replies
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

owaisnaeem,
The OpenBSD iso is copyrighted by Theo deRaadt. We can't legally distribute it. There are some 'unofficial' isos around, but none of us has tried them, so unless there's a non-trivial demand for it, OpenBSD discs probably aren't going to be distributed.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Owaisnaeem,
Salam,

If you want OpenBSD 3.4 in Karachi i can do this for you but you have to pay me CD's and CD Copy Money :p then i can do this for you :) If you are intrested then Private Messages me :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

its a very little distro ,

download its 12 or 13 packages and make a single boot disk to install it , as i did :wink:

why dont we create a little bsd section in our forum.
what u all say??
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Newbie,
Salam,
newbie wrote:its a very little distro ,
download its 12 or 13 packages and make a single boot disk to install it , as i did :wink: why dont we create a little bsd section in our forum.
what u all say??
Newbie, You are right OpenBSD is very little Distro like i try to find its ISO's but i did not find Officially one yet. so i consider to download the pakages which were needed by the OpenBSD 3.4 and make burn it to the CD's and lend the CD to PLUC or at Karachi Computers. and For BSD Forum i agree with your idea beacuse we mostly (PLUC) do help peoples with only one Distro Called Red Hat sorry to say that but if you guys try to search posts then you guys understand that i am true.... any way the final desigion will be take by the Admins of the Forum :)

Best Regards.

Do Pray For Me :)
Farrukh Ahmed
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

yep this forum is for redhat because in pakistan only redhat is running.

as now redhat is not free , may be the trend of world will change but i am sure it will not be change in pakistan.
because here people call redhat 9 , the linux 9..
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Newbie,
Salam,
newbie wrote:yep this forum is for redhat because in pakistan only redhat is running. as now redhat is not free , may be the trend of world will change but i am sure it will not be change in pakistan.
because here people call redhat 9 , the linux 9..
Aww, Man don't say like that. man if you want change then you have to change your slef first then you try to change your friends then your area then your City and then your Country INSAHALLAH you will be Successed if will need much efforts :)

Best Regards.

Do Pray For Me :)
Farrukh Ahmed
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

newbie, in Pakistan, 2 or 3 laters earlier people doesnt know what linux is it is a great sign that atleast they know the current running version no matter it is of redhat or any other ones, and mind it i am talking about IT Professionals they did call it a uselses UNIX in the past and now a days you can see majority is moving forward towards the OS. Here is yours/oursforums duty to clarify things to others. I have seen knoppix cds on the shelves last month it mean there is a demand and supply. What i believe if we guide them and tell them the difference in linux and distributions then i am sure you will never hear the thing like redhat linux 9 is linux 9.

Cheers!
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

Come on , if you want to learn linux leave Redhat,

Redhat is not any different from other Linux distro's. The thing that makes Redhat different from lets say slackware is its .rpm, its fancy installer, its system-wide scripts for all sorts of system daemons, etc.

Thats what makes Redhat different than Slackware for example. Linux is still the same regardless of the distro, since the distro is nothing more than different packages of programs, utils, and an installation means, and possibly support, etc.

So Redhat is not Linux, it is a Linux Distrobution, Huge Difference (Obviously).
Pakistanis should realize this otherwise you wont really learn what Linux is , and what will you do when Red Hat is no more, as the current situation. Its like buying that popular Redhat Linux Bible book you might see in the bookstores. Once you open it you see a lot of solutions to many problems but you realize they are explained via Redhat (as the cover says) and via only gui's (either Gnome or KDE). Whats the point of knowing how to add a printer with redhat-printtool-gui?? , will you be able to do that on an important UNIX/LINUX company server, not always the case.

Plus if you are an IT Professional you cant say Redhat is Linux, that would mean that you have no idea of IT in the first place. An IT Prof. must be flexiable in this sense. "Suse, Redhat, TurboLinux, Yellow Dog, Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, ... yeah whatever, you name it, I can do that."
jargon
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

i already said that Theamsp
So Redhat is not Linux, it is a Linux Distrobution, Huge Difference (Obviously)
I was not saying that do stuck up with redhat, and dont get too much allergic from redhat :D they have played a vital role in the opensource arena wether you agree or not IMHO they did. You are sitting in the environment where you can get many things easily but here it is not like that or otherwise it is expensive. Majority is bound to wait and get the stuff and resellers only invest on running software i.e redhat :P. Dont you know IT Culture here in Pakistan? Here not everyone is doing IT for fun or something like that they are doing it for better future prospects and for this they are doing the right thing i hope you know what i am trying to say about choosing the software. But yet i agree that they have to work hard if they want to survive. and they will because they have jargon and newbie for a layman like farhan toqeer :wink: so come on boys guide me, teach me!

I think this subject is irrelevent as far as this thread is concerned :P
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
owaisnaeem
Cadet

All this discussion and still no hope for OpenBSD 3.4

Post by owaisnaeem »

Well I am still waiting for a good source of OpenBSD cd's. The 3.4 version consists of 3 CD's and i am asking for this thing, not the stripped version.

And by the way, BSD's were never meant for the mainstream desktop market, so they will never ever be as popular as desktop targetted linux distros like RedHat or......

Looking forward for a promising reply

Take care

Allah Hafiz
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

openbsd and three cds :shock:

i think u can put three releases of openbsd in one cd. :lol:

and BTW friends
nodoubt that redhat is a great distribution, stable , easy, some cool unique stuff.
but if u want to learn linux then its one of the worst linux.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Newbie,
Salam,

I am also shocked to knew that OpenBSD 3.4 is in 3 CD's :shock: BTW can you tell me the Pakages name which were needed at the time of installation so i will download them and burn them into one CD :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed