million dolloar question

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
new guy

million dolloar question

Post by new guy »

Which is better, Mandrake, SUSE, or Red Hat. And WHY!!!?

:roll:
majorwoo
Lance Naik

Post by majorwoo »

Those questions tend to start big fights among people ;-)

It's all about preference, personally I use Redhat - some people get al wound up saying redhat holds your hand, blah blah blah...

Learn what you like, like what you learn.

Quiet brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip.
mahin
Major

Re: million dolloar question

Post by mahin »

new guy wrote:Which is better, Mandrake, SUSE, or Red Hat. And WHY!!!?

:roll:
Nah! :) It will cost you less then $ 1.50 to find out for your self. Yes! this is the suggested retail price for Mandrake 9.0 through out Pakistan [ Rs.90.00 ] maybe you can find it for even less. :) Depends upon your luck and the shop you buy from :).
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

Gentoo ROCKS!!!

My ex-favourite Slackware is a close second.
Red Hat holds somewhere close to "Lindows" and the like.

Gentoo gives you absolute control over every single application installed on your system. You start off with nothing and build (compile) everything optimized for your own configuration. I recommend it to anyone who has an ounce of self respect and wants to know what his/her OS is capable of. It also has a *BSD style portage system which allows you to keep all the applications installed updated to fix all the bugs/security issues as they crop up.
You end up with a system that's requires a little patience to configure and get working but is well worth the trouble.

Why install some other distribution that installs everything and the kitchen sink which comes complete with bugs included (no pun intended) and configured by some distribution coordinator who decides what the best configuration for YOU is. I find it insulting.

Asad
-Fear the donut within
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

AsadR,
You really wanna scare the poor guy away by recommending gentoo? Have you no heart? :D
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

hmm... yaar Gentoo would rock but for a person who really wants to work on his OS in that much depth as u told ....

otherwise for new users i would recommed Redhat 8.0 or Mandrake 9.0 !
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

ok! ok!
maybe gentoo IS a little hard to use (ie: requires a brain to use). I readily agree Mandrake is a first rate choice for it's extreme ease of use. (note lack of mention of Red Hat).

Maybe fighting over Linux distributions IS a little childish.

RED HAT SUX @*#$^@!#*(&$^@!(*&$#@$

-------------
Asad

Keeping the tradition of all my posts, i will now include a link to an intellectual discussion of Red Hat and it's escapades (it's actually from the point of view of a bunch of paranoid KDE users)

http://dot.kde.org/1031695260/103174425 ... 031762417/

Post by Guest »

I tend to agree. KDE on Redhat is a little limited. If you're a KDE guy like me, Mdk would probably be better. However, I've tuned my Redhat 8 system quite a bit, so am waiting for a really good reason to migrate to MDK.
haroon
Cadet

Post by haroon »

Debian
Check out my site
www.deepintellect.com
AIM SN: Haroon M Khalid
18/M/Maryland, USA
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

All

Post by Kdaemon »

May be all are good mainly depends on the use
RH is used mostly
new guy

choices choices choices

Post by new guy »

Mere pyare bhayas,

I got Red Hat, and that did not install, the 8.0, then got Mandrake 9.0, and the same exact problem. Gentoo, I read about it, but i really am clueless about Linux. Everyone at home is now discouraging me because everyone is using MICROSOFT!!!!!! And although I had to install XP so that I can email and communicate, I need someone to help me install Mandrake. I think there is a better system than Microsoft and I refuse to be assimulated, God dammit!!!!
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum ....

let us know pyare bhai about ur system. so let us know about any specific details regarding ur system & needs .... we will try to help u InshAllah.
new guy

installing mandrake

Post by new guy »

Hey guys,

the thing is I don't even know how to partition and mandrake was suppose to be easiest with the installation. Both red hat and mandrake, did the same exact errors, it stalled on something while detecting hda. So don't know now whether it was my cd or the something is wrong with the computer. By the way, if any one of you got mandrake from rainbow did it install fine. Anyway, I think I will need someone physically here to help me with this, because the last time I tried doing it myself, I was waiting for the Mandrake CD to arrive, I started toying with Lindows, ended up cleaning my hard drive. Although I felt a strange warm feeling develop as I saw my Windows 2000 evaporate before me, I need something that works guys. And I just do not fancy myself an XP. Really, I do have some self-respect.
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

I'm sure someone here would be able to help you if you simply provided a few details about the problem you're encountering. If you can't remember the precise error you got, or when you go it, write it down somewhere.

Linux is by far the best operating system to troubleshoot since there's always a 90% chance someone else has had the exact same problem you're having. Even if by some miracle you've stumbled upon a unique problem, discussion forums for Linux are abundant and full of helpful people ( :P ).

Asad

P.S: I recommend everyone who's anyone to read:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
new guy

installing mandrake

Post by new guy »

The specs on my computer is Pentium III, 733, 40GB, got an external U.S Robotics as the Intel one was giving me trouble plus I got told that Linux might not pick it up. Currently it is running XP. But if anyone of you live in Defence I would appreciate if someone can walk me through this. I don't know much about the BIOS but I think that maybe the problem. So if anyone can pick a day and set a time, I would really appreciate it. Plus, is rainbow the only place to get our distros?

Thanks guys.