Computer Hardware in Pakistan

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Computer Hardware in Pakistan

Postby outhanger » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:09 pm

Hey guys.

Does anyone know where is the best deal for computer hardware in Pakistan? Karachi, Islamabad or Lahore.

Dealers tend to rip the software bundle (that comes with the hardware) off for themselves.Where does it not happen?

Also, is there a good Pakistani hardware website?

What are the latest graphics cards available in Pakistan?

Thats, a whole lotta questions. thanks.
"Where blasphemy is a crime, religious freedom does not exist." - Stallman to Musharraf
outhanger
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Postby mahin » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:39 am

I could be wrong but I think you are referring to Used /Pre-owned computers?

Could you please be more specific in what you are looking for? I do not know what software you are not finding pre-installed but you can always ask them to install Linux and if they have problem in getting any particular Distro / Application give them my email address.
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

Postby outhanger » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:33 pm

no, i was referring to brand new computers. unbranded.
"Where blasphemy is a crime, religious freedom does not exist." - Stallman to Musharraf
outhanger

Postby mahin » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:38 am

outhanger wrote:no, i was referring to brand new computers. unbranded.

Then there is no software at all to remove. You are paying only for hardware components in that case you just have to check the prices better seek advice from others on what you will need for your projected needs. Most of the time people buy what they do not need due to misconception.

In Pakistan for personal use buying pre-owned computer from direct importer or ECS board based new PC's are good value for money, IMHO.
mahin
Major

WHAT??

Postby outhanger » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:11 pm

mahin, i'm surprised. you don't even know that most computer components ship with a big software bundle like NORTON ANTIVIRUS is bundled with Intel Motherboards.
and the some Nvidia graphics cards ship with as many as 7 CDs which contain, apart from drivers, popular games and many other useful utilites.
Thats what Pakistani hardware dealers rip off and keep for themselves!!
outhanger

Bundled Softwares

Postby Zaheer » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:29 pm

AOA,
Yes U R right dealers in Karachi rip CD's +Sometimes some original cables & Demo Games which we get from Video Cards like Geforce FX etc.Once I bought a Intel Board and my PC dealer changed my original cables with touchtel cables(nakli cables).And also I saw tag written bundled with softwares worth US $ 50.But.....

Zaheer
Good Judgement comes from Experience and Experience comes from bad Judgement!!
The more I know, the more I realize I don't know!?
The easiest way to find out is to try Out!!!

Registered Linux user #333501
Zaheer
Battalion Havaldaar Major

WLM: zaheermb20@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: zaheermb2002@yahoo.com

Postby mahin » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:03 pm

If you buy boxed version then it is mentioned on box what is included, all you have to do is check the contents.

If components are for OEM then they come in bulk pack, no individual packing or any Driver/Software CD/litrature etc. All this is to save money.

In general these driver CD's have same worth as any other CD [ say Rs 30.00 or Rs 40.00 each ], there may be some exceptions but never encountered any my self.

If you are buying new board ask for Drivers CD, if you are getting OEM packing then ask for copy of the original. With few exceptions you do not need them un-less you are going to install some other OS :). Use Linux and chances are you will not need any thing.

It is cheaper to buy from a shop which has reputation or at least do window shoping so that you know how much it will cost you to get some peace of mind.
mahin
Major

Mahin doesn't know.

Postby outhanger » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:41 am

Mahin, you clearly don't know about software bundles. I'm sure even OEM versions ship with AT LEAST the drivers cd.
outhanger

Postby jargon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:07 am

Mahin: Let him have it.

Outhanger: First of all dont accuse someone of not knowing something then using the words "I'm Sure" which doesn't convey the message that you do know!

OEM products dont necessarily come with anything, thats why an OEM is usually cheaper than retail.
jargon
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby outhanger » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:22 pm

hmm..OK jargon. But I'm really angry over losing the software bundle over every piece of hardware I buy.
outhanger

Return to “%s” General