Piracy-Who's gona buy nonpirated Linux ?, are you

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Piracy-Who's gona buy nonpirated Linux ?, are you

Postby pawas » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:41 am

Linux is here in pakistan, but i dont think so that people will buy nonpirated CD , if they can get Linux Red hat 9 for 25 Rs about 0.4 $
who's gona pay for nonpirated ? i think gov must close those shops cloning Cds days and nights. then they should welcome Linux like co-ops

Now i ask you a Question ...
Which one of you buy Nonpirated CDS ?
Nabeel
pawas
Cadet

Postby funaki » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:36 pm

piracy has been a problem all along no matter its linux we are dealing with or windows or any software.it causes millions of dollars worth of damage to software industry every year. pirace should be stopped for every software out there. well not only for software but for movies and other stuff too like car parts and stuff.as far as buying is concerned i buy all the softwares,movies, games and stuff. even linux i buy it instead of downloading it coz by buying it we are telling company that we are interested in their software and they make it better and better. all my windows, office, linux, movies are all original. and i dont see why others shudnt buy original stuff or am i missing something here. :roll: and for those who are caught pirating should be given severe punishment so that other learn something and stop pirating.
Funaki
AMD 3400+|2GBRAM|ATI9800xt|120GB hdd x2|
Intel 3.2GHZ|2GBRAM|Nvidia FX5900| 200GBhdd x2|
funaki
Lance Naik

Postby lambda » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:51 pm

i don't buy (or copy) pirated software. i do buy pirated dvds, though.
lambda
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:35 pm

There is a world of different in the understanding of linux piracy/warez.

Distros like Fedora Core 2 or Mandrake 10 CE...they are under gpl license...and can be freely distributed legally..so when u buy a redhat 9 (standard) or fedora core 2 or mandrake ce 10..on 35 rupees cd...that is legal..no piracy involed..becoz they can be freely dsitributed under the law of gpl....they are free versions and can be downloaded from the net.

Linux piracy is when enterprise versions (non free versions) of distros are brought out on 35 rupees cds....so far this is not being done in pakistan which is good.

BUt many pirated licensed linux softwarez are out in the market on 35 rupees cds like SUn Star Office for Linux..for which u have to pay to use and is non free...but that comes on pirated cds and this is piracy.

And as for windows...all the cds out there on 35 rupees cds are pirated.

So what i mean to say is..you need to understand which cds should be termed as pirated and which shouldnt....
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby Qadri-409 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:48 pm

funaki wrote: all my windows, office, linux, movies are all original. and i dont see why others shudnt buy original stuff .

how many people in pak has got enought money to buy orignal sotwares .for so many IT students it hard to pay fee for there studies.do yyou think every body has got resources like you to get or buy orignal softwares. ???
M Shahzad Qadri
Qadri-409
Battalion Havaldaar Major

WLM: qadri409
Yahoo Messenger: shahzadqadri409

Postby outstream » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:02 pm

AoA

well i think that even if the government brings in piracy laws, still there will be piracy. if not externally then may be internally. u just cannot stop it.

every one including offices, firms and IT students need to use computers. so for example lets say there is this group of 10 individuals who are classmates or friends with each other. one of them buys a legal software, so what happens now?. well every body has got cd writers in their homes so what they`ll do is just borrow the legal cd from that friend and make a pirated copy of that software on the other cd, using their own cd-writers. :roll:
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby umair007 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:17 am

yes i buy pirated cds and i dont care if any has problem with that send me some blank checks so i can afford a non pirated cd. so do u want us that we stop seeing movies and make our lifes boring man try to understand non pirated stuff is expensive and my dad can give me a kick not that much money
Digipen is the institution of my dreams
umair007
Naik

WLM: umair@mystupidschool.com
Yahoo Messenger: umair_aslam19

Postby funaki » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:28 am

Faraz.Fazil well said.

Qadri-409: i agree with you but isnt this the case companies like Microsoft and Some other come up with Student Version or Personal Editions of their software. That Comes at very low cost compared to the Price of the same software which is not Personal Or Student Edition.

Umair007: Send some blank cheques eh? And i didnt said anything about stopping watching movies and making life boring. Original Stuff can also come cheap if One knows when and where to Look for it.
Funaki

funaki
Lance Naik

Postby umair007 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:01 am

funaki i guess you live in bahrain when u come to pakistan we will discuss the price and the price our parents are ready to give us
umair007
Naik

Postby lambda » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:34 pm

Qadri-409 wrote:how many people in pak has got enought money to buy orignal sotwares.

not many.

if you go the linux route, well, you really don't have to spend anything. i've yet to buy a linux app. then again, i do all my development in xemacs.

if you go the windows route, you can download the .net 1.1 sdk, the win32 sdk, and the vc++ compiler (all free and complete) from microsoft's site. with these three tools, you have everything you need to write c++/managed c++/c# applications for windows -- except visual studio. (you do get a graphical debugger, though.) you can use sharpdevelop as your c# ide (it even has a forms designer, albeit not a very good one). however, xp pro costs rs 8300 or so, and you're probably screwed if you need to do db development with ms sql or something (you'd need to buy that).
lambda
Major General

Postby lambda » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:35 pm

umair007 wrote:funaki i guess you live in bahrain when u come to pakistan we will discuss the price and the price our parents are ready to give us

didn't your parents buy you a powerbook g4, a fast ati card, a 2ghz box, etc?
what's rs 8400 for a copy of xp after that?
lambda
Major General

Postby funaki » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:35 am

lambda wrote:
didn't your parents buy you a powerbook g4, a fast ati card, a 2ghz box, etc?
what's rs 8400 for a copy of xp after that?

are you asking me that?
Funaki

funaki
Lance Naik

Postby lambda » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:24 pm

no.
lambda
Major General

Postby umair007 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:07 pm

i am not talking of myself only i am talking of all the people in pakistan do u think my cousins who are not such fortunate can buy it and also if they even give me 8000rs to buy winxp legit copy i wont man its so much m,oney are u in ur mind we can buy a mediocre printer scanner and goood headphones for it and if i am so much interested why wont i buy lot of dvds and enjoy them they bought me all these pcs cause we bought them from america or pakistan and the g4 was on sale in ebay got it at a very less price and when u r in america i dont know why ur parents are so good but in pakistan they want to secure money :)
umair007
Naik

Postby umair007 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:13 pm

and by the way when i lived in america 35 or 50 $ game looked quite less then 2000 or 3000rs and once akhter computers offered me a non pirated cd it was like 5500 rs i think i my pop said why do u wanna buy that piece of crap when u say u like open source and for that price (never buy any thing from akhter its like getting ur self robbed specially no big deals they will eat u )
umair007
Naik

Return to “%s” General