FED UP.........help.....

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

FED UP.........help.....

Postby waqassonic » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:50 am

i am fed up with trying to install my 5900xt drivers with mandrake 9. please tell me if mandrake 10 is avalaible in pakistan?????CAUSE I HEARD IT SUPORTS THE LATEST DRIVERS...........i heard that linux was a pain with drivers it really is......please help me get mandrake 10.
S-ONIC
waqassonic
Cadet

Postby jargon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:04 pm

well, got any error messages? or anything we can work with to help you, we're not magicians, nvidia drivers are one of the easiest drivers to install in linux.

have you read the README accompanied with the drivers?

you have heard wrong, next time tell your friends that mandrake is just a distro, and when it comes to getting drivers working its the kernel (the linux kernel, because linux == kernel) that one is interested in. Hardware devices talk to the kernel and the kernel talks to them. Mandrake 10, a distro, comes with the version 2.6 line of the linux kernel series, so yes a 2.6 kernel would support more devices, but that doesn't mean Mandrake 10 supports more than Slackware 10, given the same kernel.
jargon
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: FED UP.........help.....

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:07 pm

Did you try to follow the instructions provided to you here ?:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... php?t=2483

Did u try this installer?:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run

Indeed, nvidia has got some nice driver installers for linux..
I myself am using a couple of Nvidia cards under linux (One on Fedora core 2 )(using kernel 2.6), and the other on slackware 10 (using kernel 2.4)...installation of these drivers hardly took a few seconds...apart from the driver download....so indeed..nvidia drivers are one of the easiest to install.

waqassonic wrote:i am fed up with trying to install my 5900xt drivers with mandrake 9. please tell me if mandrake 10 is avalaible in pakistan?????CAUSE I HEARD IT SUPORTS THE LATEST DRIVERS...........i heard that linux was a pain with drivers it really is......please help me get mandrake 10.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Return to “%s” General