REAL isp

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
ashariqbal
Havaldaar

REAL isp

Postby ashariqbal » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:39 pm

A REAL isp creates bandwidth. Uses a router with more than one port. Has heard of BGP.

Do let me know if there is one in Karachi.

What the above describes is a reseller of bandwidth purchased from PTCL.

LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: REAL isp

Postby LinuxFreaK » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:28 pm

Dear Ashariqbal,
Salam,

ashariqbal wrote:A REAL isp creates bandwidth. Uses a router with more than one port. Has heard of BGP.

Do let me know if there is one in Karachi.

What the above describes is a reseller of bandwidth purchased from PTCL.

Well ISP's here in Karachi and Mostly in Pakistan using 2500 or 2600 Series Rotuers and they don't want to share their privacy with Local ISP's in order cut off local bandwidht which should be cut off by using BGP. This idea is good but who will implement it :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed

lambda
Major General

Re: REAL isp

Postby lambda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:15 am

i believe all isps go through ptcl. true, they may have both flag and iti links, but flag traffic goes through ptcl in karachi.

zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby zaeemarshad » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:22 am

AsharIqbal:
Creating bandwidth?? How do you create bandwidth? By rigging your own Fiber Optic??? Will you be willing to pay for extra charges that will incur on your per hour connection.Do you want every ISP to lay a cable to Sprint, NY and BT ...get a sense of the isp business, mate!

Secondly, all good ISPs who have a nationwide presence use a Cisco three tier strategy i.e. Core, Distribution & Access. At the Core level, I have yet to see a good isp using a cisco 2500 or 2600. These routers cant hold the full internet routing table. Its better to understand how the whole ISP business works.

Regards
Zaeem

ashariqbal
Havaldaar

Postby ashariqbal » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:07 pm

thats what I mean - real ISP :-)

Actually I understand that Multinet (now that it is mainly owned by a large Malysian Telco) is laying fibre nationwide. Warid also shows promise.

Creating bandwidth should not mean that internet access costs more - it should mean that it costs less. A low cost strategy like peering using wireless should not be beyond a good ISP. However ISPs find it easier to just blame PTCL...

Return to “General”