Setting Up Own ISP

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
Zaheer
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Setting Up Own ISP

Post by Zaheer »

AOA,
How can I set up my own ISP on Linux .Any Good guide for a newbie to start.
Zaheer
Good Judgement comes from Experience and Experience comes from bad Judgement!!
The more I know, the more I realize I don't know!?
The easiest way to find out is to try Out!!!

Registered Linux user #333501
mahin
Major

Re: Setting Up Own ISP

Post by mahin »

Great !!! could you be bit more forth coming with your focus market and location ? There is no one size fits all, certainly none for newbie.

IMHO unless you are targeting a niche market there is no point in starting a ISP in Karachi if it is else where do check out gonet and cybernet to have some idea in terms of money.

BTW these DCN are also ISP's [ properly designed ] and in Far East they are called ISP not cable net provider, like we do.

You will have to learn about BSD thoug it is getting easy.
Zaheer wrote:AOA,
How can I set up my own ISP on Linux .Any Good guide for a newbie to start.
Zaheer
Zaheer

I m talking about City in Balochistan

Post by Zaheer »

AOA,
Salam Tariq Sahab,great to heard ur reply :) I want to set up my ISP business in Balochistan.And need help and from where to get backbone connection.

Zaheer

LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: I m talking about City in Balochistan

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Zaheer,
Salam,
Zaheer wrote:I want to set up my ISP business in Balochistan.And need help and from where to get backbone connection.
PIE only way which provide you Bandwidth take 1 MB or so from them and then use Downlink from any Provider !!

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Technically Speaking <01>

Post by aquiline »

Setting up an ISP, is a great idea ! I have also similar thoughts.....so let's share the common thoughts .....>
1. First of all bandwidth is a major topic, so one can get it form PIE, PTCL
http://ptcl.com.pk/ give some guidlines to get the pipe ;)
http://ptcl.com.pk/isdn_bri.html
2. Now looking at "Physical-Layer" (Hardware), plz guide how to get the necessary equipment, like cisco router (Is 2500 router still Alive or can be use as a starting point & cisco 1900 switch...???) How to get refurbished equipment (Is it recommonded to use such equipment in inital phase, than upgrade)? If someone can quote the prices....that will be great help.
3. At the Data-Link Layer (Connecting A 2 B....& so on) & Network Layers thing get complex...such as configuration issues, routing, switching, billing etc...etc......!
4. So the main & most important phase is configurations......! requesting all of Guru$ to :idea: 'share the taste of Adventure' :arrow:
5. Downlink....> Using Fedora or any linux distribution, How to configure the downlink to DCN or ISP.?
6. PRIs/E1: What's economical solution (regarding Cisco networking equipment, wot sort of solution will be suitable, router with BRI/PRI Slots…..? How much cost for small setup……?)
7. How to Configure E1/PRIs on router to established the connectivity.?
8. [ProXying] Squid is I think much discussed topic in this forum, so little bit Search will be very helpful.
9. DNS Stuff: I think DNS Setup has been discussed in some posts, howerver in DCN/ISP perspective may refresh new ideas. So little bit help may refresh the topic with Web-Server setup.!
10. Billing Server: I have also seen this post in our fourm, so FreeRadius may help it out...!
[Other$] Any suggestions/tips from Gurus wokring in DCNs/ISPs will be highly acknowledged.....with details of "HOW TO PROGRAM AN ISP" for "DUMMIES" :oops: :?: :idea: :lol: :arrow:
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
Zaheer

Talking about other cities than Karachi

Post by Zaheer »

AOA,
I m talking about Gwadar.There is no ISDN line and the phone line is also not well.And no Cybernet and Supernet etc.Only solution is Downlink from satellite and Uplink I dont know what to do and for Hardware and other equipment I need a whole guide.

Zaheer

LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: Talking about other cities than Karachi

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Zaheer,
Salam,
Zaheer wrote:I m talking about Gwadar.There is no ISDN line and the phone line is also not well.And no Cybernet and Supernet etc.Only solution is Downlink from satellite and Uplink I dont know what to do and for Hardware and other equipment I need a whole guide.
Get VSAT :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Technically Speaking <02>

Post by aquiline »

well, as far as hardware issues, I haven't any updated news.....however got a informative link while surfing/searching ISP Setup with OPEN Source Tools......>>>
http://www.howtoforge.com/book/print/59

http://www.msys.ca/wordpress/?p=75

Keep Smiling :lol: & Searching......"Where there is Will, there is a Way :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
mahin
Major

Re: Talking about other cities than Karachi

Post by mahin »

This Dial-up will not work, go Wireless. Best option IMHO would be Fiber but I suppose that would take more time and resources.

Zaheer wrote:AOA,
I m talking about Gwadar.There is no ISDN line and the phone line
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Hi Zaheer,

Before going for an ISP, you need to define your target market for the next 5 years or so. Firstly, decide that what kind of internet service are you going to offer? Is it

a) Dialup internet
b) broadband highspeed (DSL)
c) Cable (extended lan on coaxial and xTP)
d) Wireless ISP (like Hungama)

Once you have decided, then you can be sure on what you need.

For option a, you will need at least

* PRIs from PTCL so that customer can connect to you
* A RAS (Cisco or Lucent) in which you can terminate these PRIs
* A router (Yes a Cisco 2500 will do as well for a small ISP but you can get a 3600 series from ebay)
* E-1 from PIE. Check if ITI has a local presence in this area.
* Downlink (optional..cheap but unreliable bandwidth)

For connecting E-1, you may need G.703 to V.35 converters, if your router doesn't has an E-1 module like Pandatel, else you can easily terminate the E-1 into your router.

You can get a used Catalyst 1900 switch for the basic switching functions. That should be enough for the networks side. On the systems side, you will need

RADIUS server (FreeRADIUS)
Billing server (ISPs normally use Advanced Billing Systems ABS)
DNS server (BIND 9 or DJB DNS)
Proxy server (Squid)
Mail server (Qmail, postfix, exim)
Web server (apache, boa)

That should get you started. You can run these machines on Linux,FreeBSD or Solaris..your call.

Also, put in a UPS with some decent support time. Also please note that, this is a bare bone setup and the least fault tolerant. Also hire some good professionals to set this up for you.

For a DSL solution, put in a DSLAM instead of the RAS and you are good to go. Also you need a better router at this stage.

Did I mention you need a license from PTA before you can even think about buying anything?? :-)

Cheers
Zaeem