Mac user seeks help

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
rayhan
Cadet

Mac user seeks help

Post by rayhan »

AoA,

I have moved back to Islambad, Pakistan after some 25 years abroad.

Basically I am Mac user, and have used various versions of Windows as well.

So you may be wondering why would I post this in a Linux forum. As some of you may know that beneath Mac OS X is Darwin, an open source, UNIX-based foundation built on such technologies as mach and FreeBSD.

Whilst I am pretty good with GUI gooeyness I would really like to learn to harness the power of UNIX. I have dabbled in Terminal in Mac OS X (bash) and at one point played on Ubuntu Linux at a friend's place in Australia.

So what I am trying to say is that whilst I realise this forum is for Linux, I would like to get some training in UNIX from a reputable institute in Islamabad. Could anyone recommend me as to where I could get this training? I'd be at the beginner stage.

Your suggestions and comments would be kindly appreciated.

Regards

rayhan
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear rayhan,
Salam,

Best Way to Learn by your self !!

last but not least Google is your friend :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

Hey!

Thank GOD! I see another OS X user around , dude , I live in islamabad too , and we can meet up after 22nd for sure , i can teach you some of the basic stuff to do with the console, you can also check out www.macosxhints.com , it has tons of console geekness :)

cheers

~uppal
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear linuxgeek,
Salam,
linuxgeek wrote:Thank GOD! I see another OS X user around , dude , I live in islamabad too , and we can meet up after 22nd for sure , i can teach you some of the basic stuff to do with the console, you can also check out www.macosxhints.com , it has tons of console geekness :)
He Need Unix/Linux Information :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

Dude , see Console in OS X is UNIX, re-read his post :-p or fire up some emulator or get a mac to see what i am saying :-D!
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
rayhan
Cadet

Linuxgeek

Post by rayhan »

Linuxgeek: I appreciate your enthusiasm. I am sure it would be ok for two mac geeks to meet and talk geek. Want to clarify when, 22nd of what? Nov?
yeah I frequent macosxhints but never did look at the Unix stuff. Err the console...isn't that called Terminal.app in OS X.

If you want you can email me at macvinoz[at]gmail dot com, for correspondence. That email address is also my G-Talk log-in name. So yeah you are welcome to email or chat.

btw, what setup do you have?

--------

Pak ISP's: What version of Window is macintosh?

or

Sir, macs are in black n' white and therefore you must use Microsoft to download Internet in colour.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

OMG! Now there are (counting...) 2 MAC users in Pakistan! linuxgeek, methinks you need to start macpakistan.net, complete with a bubbly theme and 2 buttons, one saying Stop, the other saying Go. Of course, you need a paypal link to donate to the 'Save a Steve Jobs' fund as well. :)

Sorry, just had to vent. Until I can afford a MAC, I'll continue to bash mac users :)
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

fawad wrote:Sorry, just had to vent. Until I can afford a MAC, I'll continue to bash mac users :)
aren't you studying full time? apple offers discounts to students/faculty -- something like $200-300 off the sticker price for laptops.

you should wait until at least april; that's when the rumored intel powerbooks will ship.
rayhan
Cadet

Post by rayhan »

Lambda, thank you.

Fawad, :roll: interesting to see why you feel that way. You are a closet mac lover, eh? You say there are 2 mac users in the whole of Pakistan, me and linxgeek....hmmm....you are seriously mistaken, I don't know how many there are, but in Islamabad alone I know of 3 authorised dealers that sell macintosh. If no-one was using macintosh in Pakistan, then why would there be 3 dealers in Islamabad. When I queried one of the retailers, he said that a certain Govt. Department (cannot disclose) were buying high-end X-Serves and PowerMacs, and at the consumer level the mac-mini was very popular with frustrated Windows users.

As for Price, Lambda is right, Apple do offer an educational rate for their computers. A lot of people think that Apple computers are expensive, but if you look at the prices of notebook macs you will see that they are not that much more expensive. Eg. the iBook, a consumer level notebook, is Rs 70,000+ and a similary spec'd Windows laptop costs the same, atleast in Pakistan. Plus if you factor in the total cost of ownership and high resale value of macs (just look on ebay) you will find that macs in the long run are more affordable. I know many people, myself included that ran OS X (Tiger) on a 450 Mhz iMac, PowerMac or PowerBook just fine, try that on Windows.

Like Linux, the Macintosh, does not suffer from viruses, spyware. Sure there are isolated cases of kernal panics and program-level crashes because of poorly designed third-party software, but I have yet to experience a system level crash in nearly 2 years of using a mac.

I used to be a windows user, I just got sick of viruses, spyware, and I just got sick of looking at a graphical interface that looked seemingly designed by Fischer Price (tongue in cheek) i.e. Windows XPee.

Linux I respect, Windows not at all. hmmm...this is begining to sound suspiciously like a sermon....hmmmm...not good.

Ciao,

rayhan

==================

my setup: PowerBook G4, 1.33 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard-drive.
music player: iPod 4th Gen, 20 GB
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

rayhan,
The pricing might be comparable in Pakistan, but in the US, the prices are pretty different. Student discounts are very small for the lower end products. As a comparison, my Athlon 2800 laptop cost me $800 plus tax. A 12'' mac with similar configuration (512 MB, 40 GB hdd, etc) would cost me $950 plus tax (with the Student discount of $50). Pretty hefty price difference for someone like me with little disposable income.

Oh, and I was being facetious about there being 2 mac users. I'm sure you could find 2 more if you look hard enough :)

I guess this discussion is turning into one we should be having on #linuxpakistan or the gupshup forum instead of here.
crazy_frog
Naik

Re:

Post by crazy_frog »

LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear rayhan,
Salam,

Best Way to Learn by your self !!

last but not least Google is your friend :)

Best Regards.
I suppose LinuxFreak always gives the same NO-GOOD-SOLUTION to everybody :wink:

Keep this solution to yourself buddy :lol:
crazy_frog
Naik

Re: Mac user seeks help

Post by crazy_frog »

rayhan wrote:AoA,

Basically I am Mac user, and have used various versions of Windows as well.

rayhan
At last I am getting to hear about MAC .... i was believing MAC doesnt exist in Pakistan 8)