Best Place to Do Linux Certification in Pakistan

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Postby Kompoter » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:46 pm

Hi fellows!

I am looking to do Linux Certification. ( verified by Linux ) is there any good place in Lahore / islamabad / rawalpindi / karachi. where you gurus think the oppertunity available to get a crash courses and do my linux certification ??

looking to hear from Linux-Paki-Gurus..

Kompoter UnGnear
Kompoter
Cadet

well...hmm

Postby farhanksa » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:04 pm

salam
dont mind... certifications r for those who want to sho some thing to other ..means who don thave much in them but have some thing show they use the certificates :) . if u have experience u need not to be certified ur work will be ur certification... :P

well do lots of practice and do research work
good luck
salam
forum might be a good learning place
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Re: well...hmm

Postby Kompoter » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:28 pm

farhanksa wrote:salam
dont mind... certifications r for those who want to sho some thing to other ..means who don thave much in them but have some thing show they use the certificates :) . if u have experience u need not to be certified ur work will be ur certification... :P

well do lots of practice and do research work
good luck
salam
forum might be a good learning place

Bhai FarhanKSA

what if I am not getting a single hour left due to my work, and i am trying to fix my time with some place where professional learning available.. I think you must have to encourage the IT Training.. ( i know how bad it is going on in Pakistan ) but atleast this whole industry needs good professionals to teach the new bread.. in IT..

My concern is not to get the Certificate. but doing certification isnt mean you trying to get certificate.. ( that menas you need a Proper course outline as per the instructions of Linux-Makers, to be on the right track, ) instead of start learing from some NEWTON and waste my evenings. doing GUPSHUP with friends.. ( looks busy do notthing )

The Practice makes man perfect. but it takes times..... ( instead of wasting too much time on early research.. why not I get a crash course. and start researching from the level where other stands ?? )

Becoming a Guru is an EASY task... but to make some one Guru is the Job only few of them can do.. others can only talk..

I am still looking for some one to tell me where to get this done in these big cities...
Kompoter
Cadet

Postby mahin » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:21 pm

There is no Institute in Pakistan [ to the best of my knowledge - please feel free to correct me ] having LPI / RHCE certified instructors.

There are two institute's in Karachi who do provide some coaching but IMHO [ these are my personal views ] that is total waste of money and time. To get any proper training only option is LPI [ Linux Professional Institute ] or RHCE for both you have to buy the course material / books [ approx $150.00 ] and study on your own and appear in exam [ you have to pay for examination extra ]. VU undertakes examination for LPI and some of their testing centers in Pakistan used to offer testing service [ at least in Karachi ] for LPI certification, need to re-check current situation.

Only option for those in Pakistan {You and for that matter any one} is that they must spend some money and buy a second hand PII beside what ever machine they have. Buy Certification in Nut Shell - Oreilly $39.95 and start with Linux From Scratch. Start learning to prepare for LPI Certification exam. If you face any problem then come to this forum with specific problem.

You must have at least two machine's [ better three :) ] if you are serious in learning in proper way. If any one tells you to achive same on one P4 then with out any doubt you will waste your time.

If you calculate the total cost of learning on your own instead of paying tution fee, it would be cheaper. What is best the machine could re-sold once you get your certification.

I agree with your perception that you need guided training rather then learning by trial and error. Your knowledge must be in a structered form and should be tested for conformance with specific skill level.

We are in the process of collecting some information for this topic, once we have some verified details then you can see that at PLUC Wiki.
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

Re: Best Place to Do Linux Certification in Pakistan

Postby Kompoter » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:02 pm

mahin wrote:There is no Institute in Pakistan [ to the best of my knowledge - please feel free to correct me ] having LPI / RHCE certified instructors.

There are two institute's in Karachi who do provide some coaching but IMHO [ these are my personal views ] that is total waste of money and time. To get any proper training only option is LPI [ Linux Professional Institute ] or RHCE for both you have to buy the course material / books [ approx $150.00 ] and study on your own and appear in exam [ you have to pay for examination extra ]. VU undertakes examination for LPI and some of their testing centers in Pakistan used to offer testing service [ at least in Karachi ] for LPI certification, need to re-check current situation.

Only option for those in Pakistan {You and for that matter any one} is that they must spend some money and buy a second hand PII beside what ever machine they have. Buy Certification in Nut Shell - Oreilly $39.95 and start with Linux From Scratch. Start learning to prepare for LPI Certification exam. If you face any problem then come to this forum with specific problem.

You must have at least two machine's [ better three :) ] if you are serious in learning in proper way. If any one tells you to achive same on one P4 then with out any doubt you will waste your time.

If you calculate the total cost of learning on your own instead of paying tution fee, it would be cheaper. What is best the machine could re-sold once you get your certification.

I agree with your perception that you need guided training rather then learning by trial and error. Your knowledge must be in a structered form and should be tested for conformance with specific skill level.

We are in the process of collecting some information for this topic, once we have some verified details then you can see that at PLUC Wiki.

Balay Balay Bhai Mahin..

Yeah howi na baat, atleast I am convinced not to join any institution, now. what I get is to start by my own.. but. is it possible.. to start on the same machine where my XP installed ??? or it is must to buy another system ??.. ( hard disk ki cable utarna lagana b koi masla naheen ) but i dont want that option 2 be utilized.. some one told me ( lindowz - VmWare ) are those options worth 2 start with ???

2ndly. Its really bad to know about Pakistani Institutions. offering ISP Setup Courses every Season.. but none of them effective that much,

I am hardly get 2 know few institutions in islamabad offering linux. but their instructors are partime ppls from ISPs... even they are in the experimental positions. but to do some thing or to know some thing. isnt 2 teach some thing.. ( I guess Book will remain my teacher for some more time ) n that i prefer too..

can any of you have the PDF of the book Mahin Bhai refered ?? I shall be highly appreicate.. if you can put on this board..

... Is it possible PLUC arrange crash courses for begineers.. to intermediate users ?? like

6 to 8 Hours class on Holidays.. ?..

please think on it.

Kompoter NGnear
Kompoter
Cadet

Postby mahin » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:08 pm

I am afraid you can not have Pdf of that book as it is available in print. Please do not even consider copying etc., :) if price is an issue we can always negotiate some special price provided there are few interested member [ read firm orders ] not only one :).

I can not say for others but if you have to learn in a proper way then you must have proper tools and this means minimum two machine, you can have 486+PI or PII rather then one PIV.

I do not think we have resources for holding classes but you or any one is welcome to start, charge reasonable fee but offer proper course [ we can help ]. BTW at the end of the day it will be either LPI or RHCE exam which is going to be any worth [ career wise ]. Between the two my choice would be LPI.
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

Postby mrkkhattak » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:20 pm

Assalamualaikum,

You can install RedHat 9 or Mandrake 9.1 with WindowsXP (dual boot). Beside that as you said about a crash course from PLUC ... a nice idea !

We have been arranging regular monthly meetings in our karachi office (from the last 18+ months ), anyone could come there & attend that meeting. InshAllah, the person who attends the meeting will learn more about Linux & LinuxPakistan.net.

Everywhere in the world, LUGs arrange monthly meetings with a presentation, some technical talks. We can do it too ... pls let us know if anyone is internested in giving any presentation or technical talks at the meetings.

Looking forward to hear from you ppl.

Regards,

-Meraj
Last edited by mrkkhattak on Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

WLM: mrkkhattak
Yahoo Messenger: mrkkhattak
AOL: mrkkhattak

Postby Kompoter » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:29 pm

mrkkhattak wrote:Assalamualaikum,

You can install RedHat 9 or Mandrake 9.1 with WindowsXP (dual boot). Beside that as you said about a crash course from PLUC ... a nice idea !

We have been arranging regular monthly meetings in our karachi office (from the last 18+ months ), anyone could come there & attend that meeting. InshAllah, the person who attends the meeting will learn more about Linux & LinuxPakistan.net.

Everywhere in the world, LUGs arrange monthly meetings with a presentation, some technical talks. We can do it too ... pls let us know if anyone is internested in giving any presentation or technical talks at the meetings.

Looking forward to hear from you ppl.

Regards,

-Meraj

Bingo!!!

I got your point.. I am in islamabad. right now.. so through me an invitation when to attend this meeting.. I would be there.

RedHat Linux 9.. is a good idea. i am thinking of it. but as BARAY Bhai said.. i must have to have another machine.. so i am arranging.. it..

:arrow: I am looking for the PDF.. coz. I have found almost all of the books from those CD's available in Hafeez Center. I am sure many of you guys must have it.. Buying a Book in Pakistan ( i dont think its worth it ) I will better take its lasercopies. and will use it easily.. even at home / office.. where ever i got time... ( registeration /copyrights. ) all are good signs of software development,... but why we are using LINUX if we still have to Buy these things.. and gadgets... ( think open-source ) FREE - GPL.... I am sure you guys help me out.. in this too..

thx.. for ur time and good advice..

Kompoter UnGnear
Kompoter
Cadet

Postby zaeemarshad » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:03 pm

well someone mentioned about a multan chapter of pluc. never heard of that again. its really hard for ppl like us to come all the way from multan to karachi to attend a day's meeting. if someone is thinking seriously about a multan chapter than i can help.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

WLM: zarshadvirk@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: negativecreep61@yahoo.com
AOL: zarshadvirk

Postby fawad » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 pm

zaeem,
I've created a wiki with basic info on creating a PLUC chapter at the wiki. Please feel free to improvise on it.

I think the reason we are having problems is that information on the group members is not consolidated anywhere. If you follow the guidelines in the wiki, it will (hopefully) give each prospective LUG chapter a 'home page' where people interested in getting together can jot down their information. That information can then be used to round up the members when the time of a get-together comes around.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

pls try to have a hard copy o fany book available

Postby farhanksa » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:31 pm

salam.
it would be worth to have a printed book for linux..bcz i think wt ever ur experties r ..u can find things ...very good.. pls try to go some day to urdu bazar and look for linux book... at Ilmi book depu,prince book , college book....but dont go fro complete refrence book its not writen in easy words for new guys...
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Re: pls try to have a hard copy o fany book available

Postby Kompoter » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:29 pm

farhanksa wrote:salam.
it would be worth to have a printed book for linux..bcz i think wt ever ur experties r ..u can find things ...very good.. pls try to go some day to urdu bazar and look for linux book... at Ilmi book depu,prince book , college book....but dont go fro complete refrence book its not writen in easy words for new guys...

Superemoo! FarhanKSA bhai,

AB tu I have 2 buy this book, i dont know the good place in islamabad.. can any one tell me where to find this book ??

UrduBazar.. is in Pindi I guess..

or is it availble on JUmbo Book Sales.. ???
Kompoter
Cadet

Re: pls try to have a hard copy o fany book available

Postby if » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:16 pm

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Kompoter wrote:AB tu I have 2 buy this book, i dont know the good place in islamabad.. can any one tell me where to find this book ??

if u r looking for Unix / Linux books go to Vanguard at F-6 Markaz or a new shop (u can find it in markaz easily if u go there) at Jinnah Super (F-7 Markaz)... both shop are good as far as from our Pakistani local market... but some expensive too...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

WLM: ifhope@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: hope_never@yahoo.com

Intrested in books

Postby skswati » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:03 am

AslamuEliekum
i think u are intrested in books then why dont u try p2p share preogram like kazaa lite , edonkey, emule and search on then books.
i personally like emule because it gives me hundred of results on searching books for example on linux it shows me abt 200 linux books in pdf,rar,chm format so try these and i think the books problem will be solved and to read these books use babylon dictionay which is very help full u just click on word and press ur key combination i t gives u result
thanx
www.emule-project.com
www.babylon.com
Allah Hafiz
skswati
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:05 am

Well i guess im very late in replying to this thread...but i found this debate intresting.

Mahin is right on track here.
Indeed, the best linux certs one can acquire are the RHCE or the LPI.
Unfortunately , in pakistan , there are no good training institutes that may help u in preparing for these certs.For taking these exams, too, there are no exam centres here in pak.mahin mentioned vu, i dont know if they conduct rhce or lpi exams.So one may have to appear for these exmas from some other country like singapore etc.

As for training material, indeed komputer i agree with u that these books publishers should sell books atleast those of linux at reasonable rates.
I paid a visit to urdu bazaar karachi.They have got some good books.But most of the good books are non pirate version and are quite expensive.The pirate ones are really cheap as low as rupees 150 per book but they are mostly old books.

I have got a really good ebook collection on various stuff and esp linux.
I have got some study guides on rhce and lpi exams from osborne and mcgraw hill,i have got some rhce exam simulators, video training guides from mark romaranski and some more stuff in electronic format on linux learning.

If u want the names of some good ebook titles on linux/rhce/lpi , feel free to contact me.I may be able to give u some links to download that stuff, if u got a fast connection.

The PTG interactive cyberclassroom on redhat 8 is an excellent video training guide for newbies who want to learn linux in short period of time.It is prepared by the world's leading linux expert mark romaranski and is available on 2 cds here in pak for only rupees 60..so do get hold of it.I already have my copy.

I can refer u to some more good stuff if u require.

Again, sorry for being late. :evil:
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Return to “%s” General