Disappointing numbr of replies frm members /membr unactivity

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Disappointing numbr of replies frm members /membr unactivity

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:57 am

Hi folks,

We have more than 686 members...out of which 93 % are totally unactive.

If u see the total post count, then the leading 15 members are:
==========================================

fawad

Villa Park, IL
07 Aug 2002
236 posts

mrkkhattak

Karachi
07 Aug 2002

farhanksa

jeddah-lahore
03 Nov 2002

if

Islamabad
13 Aug 2002

kadnan

Karachi,Pakistan
07 Aug 2002

mahin

Karachi
07 Aug 2002

linuxgeek

Multan/Pakistan
07 Aug 2002

lahore
07 Aug 2002

sakbar

Lahore
07 Aug 2002

farhantoqeer

27 Jun 2002

lambda

Lahore
27 May 2003

s7r1k3r

Rawalpindi
07 Aug 2002

Faraz.Fazil

04 Jul 2002
41 posts

gh4z4nf4r

Wah Cantt
14 Oct 2002

LinuxFreaK

Karachi
02 May 2003
=======================================

So my question is, why are the majority of members here so unactive.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:02 am

also users from #90 to 686 have less than a single post!!

one more thing i have noticed here is , whenever someone tries to help some person here, he is not even given a thanx from the person who is being helped.

It is in ettiquettes, to thank someone if he helps you.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby metalione » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:45 pm

i appreciate that you guys want this to be a popupal and active site. i also do... but some of the people here cannot be more active even if they want to.

i mean ... if you talk about me ... if am not an it professional ... about 30 yrs of age ... married with kids .... and i am just here because linux inspired my facination. although i have recieved much help from the people around here... but i dont have that much time to be active.

had i been a computer professional and my job was more closer to linux i would have been more active.

that does not mean that this website is not popular. to me its one of the three sites i open just after loging in.

so please guys keep up the good work without being discouraged. you guys are doing a great job.

about the second post... yeah ! people are not so civilised ... maybe i also might have forgoten to thank the person who helped me here. thats a problem ...

i am beleiver of first correcting myself and then pointing to other ... so starting today ... i pledge to post a thanks everytime someone helps me in forums.

farhan
metalione
Lance Naik

Postby if » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:23 pm

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

i agree with farhan... and we don't need too many post... only thing which we need is... help eachother... and i think we do try to help others... by doing this, we can learn many things which we can't learn otherwise... thx to ppl which initial this forum and this effort of learn... thx to them...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

WLM: ifhope@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: hope_never@yahoo.com

Postby fawad » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:30 pm

Faraz.Fazil,
Agreed that we do need to have more activity on the forum than we do right now. However, the point of if and metalione is valid in that a lot of members on the forums are complete beginners in linux, sometimes not even that. Problem is that adopting a completely new operating system takes a lot of time and dedication. Most people on the forum are not at a level at which they can help out others with their problems.

In my opinion, the way to increase participation is to increase member participation in the physical world; i.e. organize regular group meetings, have people do talks on what they're good at, and share your knowledge with the rest of the forum.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby metalione » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:49 am

fawads point bring me to my other concern ... what has happened to khi pluc meetings... i tried to attend in jan but no meeting was held ... then no anouncement was made for other months... low turnout was the reason given to me for not holding any meetings...

but guys persistence will get you more members... i am just wating for things to start happening in the real (physical) world... i can be available at least once a fortnight or so ... and i will be glad to volunteer in anyway i can...

farhan
metalione
Lance Naik

Postby fawad » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:20 am

metalione,
As much as I'd like to facilitate that, there's only so much I can do. Unfortunately, holding the meetings is not in my hands. It's up to you guys to manage a meeting. As mentioned before, there is a homepage for the KHI group at The LinuxPakistan wiki. At the bottom of that page, there's a link that leads to the LinuxPakistan Karachi members profile page. I have just added this page which is to contain the detailed profile for the Karachi members. I've taken the liberty of adding Mr. Tariq's profile in that page. The idea of the members profile page is to have all Karachi members enter their information on that page. That way, when the time of the meeting comes around, the organizers have a better time locating the other members in Karachi.

Within the page code, I've embedded a template that you can copy/paste/fill out to add your own profile. Hopefully, when enough people have added their profiles, we'll have a better idea of the expected success of a get-together beforehand.
fawad
Site Admin

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:36 am

Salam,

Well you guys have got valid points too and i do agree with u guys.
My point was that we need to increase member activity by some means and make this forum even better.

I am on these forums and BBS for more than 5 years.And i am moderator/admin on many foreign reputable forums including the cnet discussion forum etc, so i am quite aware of forum affairs.

Yes u guyz are rite in saying that majority of linux users in pakistan are total newbies and even some dont even know what linux is.

We need to educate the general pakistani computer users about linux and opensource.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby fawad » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:47 pm

Faraz.Fazil,
I don't have nearly enough experience as you do about managing community forums etc., so any advice you can offer regarding increasing member activity would be helpful.
fawad
Site Admin

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:38 pm

I will be glad to help the forum in any way i can.

Based on my experience, i will be making a post on recommendations for forum betterment/enhancement as soon as i get time.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:41 pm

P.S thanx for all your efforts and hard work fawad,basit and others.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

they had done a great job to make platform for linux ppl

Postby farhanksa » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:52 pm

aoa
i greately appreciaty the work done my admins and posters.all of them done a great job to make platform for linux ppl

there r few ppl among use r not wiling to help others...i am really sorry to say that..dont mind
a person once chated with me ,and told me wt happened to him...he was asking for help to a person but he clearly said that he is not goin to tell????
so wt can we do in this case..wt will be the feeling of the person who dont know and being rejected to be helped???

does the person who know linux ..r proud of the him-self??

do they think that keeping their knowledge with them self ..will be a superior thing...??and other cant get information from any other source??

suppose if the person have a brain injury then...wts his knowledge about linux can play part??

i was feeling very sorry for those both person ..who know and dont tell and who dont know and have a chance to talk to person who dont tell

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Re: they had done a great job to make platform for linux ppl

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:44 am

I agree with you farhanksa.
Knowledge is Power.
Free Knowledge for all is the need of the hour.
Ppl who have some knowledge should share it with others freely than boasting about themselves.

farhanksa wrote:aoa
i greately appreciaty the work done my admins and posters.all of them done a great job to make platform for linux ppl

there r few ppl among use r not wiling to help others...i am really sorry to say that..dont mind
a person once chated with me ,and told me wt happened to him...he was asking for help to a person but he clearly said that he is not goin to tell????
so wt can we do in this case..wt will be the feeling of the person who dont know and being rejected to be helped???

does the person who know linux ..r proud of the him-self??

do they think that keeping their knowledge with them self ..will be a superior thing...??and other cant get information from any other source??

suppose if the person have a brain injury then...wts his knowledge about linux can play part??

i was feeling very sorry for those both person ..who know and dont tell and who dont know and have a chance to talk to person who dont tell

Postby kadnan » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:05 pm

umm just 4 Karachi members on http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index ... hi/Members

??

*weird*

anyway regarding contributing and helping out others..I just dont understand that why the ppl dont share their experiences with newbies or every forum/list member..

for example..i found some Tip/problem regarding web programming in php or Java and i solved it someway..it would be nice i share it with members so that they dont waste their time on same thing again and again
similarly if Fawad faced some problem regarding Administration then it woulld be nice he share his experience with us

i suggest a seprate section for that and should be moderated

thanks
-adnan
kadnan
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Postby fawad » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:14 pm

kadnan,
How come you haven't listed yourself there yet? :)
fawad
Site Admin

Return to “%s” General