Forum Ranking Question/Poll

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Should there be ranking on the forum?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

s7r1k3r
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Forum Ranking Question/Poll

Post by s7r1k3r »

Assalam-O-Alaekum!

I just want a poll on the question whether their should be ranking between forum members or not? If yes, should it be based on number of posts?
a10n3 s7r1k3r
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Yes, ranking would be good...

We already have a ranking called "Top Ten Posters" in the member list.
View that list in descending order and you will get the ranks.
I think that ranking is enough and we donot need to introduce anything else

Some members do spend loads of time helping others, they make quality posts and have got good post counts as well......

but there are some members who just increase their post count by making crappy/ unneccessary posts just to increase their post count.Their posts contain no revelant info . just messages like good info,Hi, Mention not, yes it can be done etc etc or contains text copied from other user's posts, unlike some users who really spend loads of time and energy helping others and making relevant posts.

So if the ranking is introduced, it needs to be made flawless....and it needs to be made sure that the correct ranks are given.

Making ranking based on post count is indeed a good idea as long as we will make sure users will only make relevant threads and not crappy /useless threads just to increase their post count.

as i said before, We already have a ranking called "Top Ten Posters" in the member list.

View that list in descending order and you will get the ranks.
I think that ranking is enough and we donot need to introduce anything else..we just need to make sure that people make only relevant posts.
Last edited by Faraz.Fazil on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Here is the ranking based on post count: (number 1 the highest rank)

Format:
Rank number, Name, Location, join date, total posts

===============================

Faraz.Fazil

Karachi/Pakistan/Earth/Universe
04 Jul 2002
327 POsts

fawad

Villa Park, IL
07 Aug 2002
323 posts

farhanksa

Lahore-jed
03 Nov 2002
277 posts

mrkkhattak

Karachi
07 Aug 2002
216 posts

if

Islamabad
13 Aug 2002
168 posts

kadnan

Karachi,Pakistan
07 Aug 2002
154 posts

mahin

Karachi
07 Aug 2002
124 posts

LinuxFreaK

Karachi
02 May 2003
103 posts

lahore
08 Aug 2002
101 posts

linuxgeek

Multan/Pakistan
07 Aug 2002
92 posts

===========================

The ranking is fair enough, and i guess it can be retained...and as i said before the top ten posters list viewd in descending order is enough for the ranking, provided people dont start making crappy/ unneccessary posts just to increase their post count.
s7r1k3r

What are you doing?

Post by s7r1k3r »

Dear Faraz,

Please read carefully the post before posting a reply. And also please don't post two replies for one thing (really un-necessary) and DO NOT copy paste your replies to other threads because this way you are doing the very same thing that you are asking others not to do.

My suggession was that there should be no ranking. I guess you didn't have time to read that. You see this is my point, in order to increase their ranking, people are making this forum more like a desi chat room. If you remove the motive, I think it all will be fine.

Regards,
a10n3 s7r1k3r
mahin
Major

Re:Forum Ranking Question/Poll

Post by mahin »

Agree with Faraz. IMHO if there are some issues these can be sorted with bit more attention. We should focus on promoting Linux and helping people who ask for help.

Look at the positive side of all this noise, it has woken up some :) so things will work out fine :).
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

There should be ranking, but it should not be based on the number of posts, i myself cant think of another way to rank...but then again...im against it so what the hey:p
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,
slick wrote:There should be ranking, but it should not be based on the
number of posts, i myself cant think of another way to rank...but then again...im against it so what the hey:p
As Silk Said, He was right bcoz if we will rank our self by no of post then i thought many peoples do post which are not related to topic as my own post i agree with Faraz.Fazil i do some post like that but i don't want to make my Ranking in the Top Ten Posters. Ranking should be based on Knowledge, acutally i was out of touch from linux but i would like to know do you think that i was Posted which were not related to the Topic. Please lemme know bcoz i want to know that do i ? Faraz.Fazil don't take it wrong that i am hiting your name, no i am not and i am not able to hit ya name coz i am newbie and i don't have much knowledge than ya. If any one hurt by my this post then i am really sorry from the deapth of my heart and every one don't take it hard, its just my thinking...

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re: What are you doing?

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

You said:

============================
"I just want a poll on the question whether their should be ranking between forum members or not? If yes, should it be based on number of posts?"
============================

Where did u say u wanted no ranking??

You asked for a vote...so i cast mine.I dont see anything wrong here that would compel you to tell me to read before i post, coz i already read it.

I guess u got jealous...lol....just joking....

Anywayz, it happens, Np....Get a good cup of cofee and cool down hehe.

Anywayz, guyz lets forget about positions and rankings.Lets try our best we can to help users and do as much as we can for linux and opensource.Lets forget our differences, and work together.Lets not post with a motive to prove yourself...rather post with a perspective to help others and to do as much good as we can do to opensource.Together we can and together we will make the difference.
s7r1k3r wrote:Dear Faraz,

Please read carefully the post before posting a reply. And also please don't post two replies for one thing (really un-necessary) and DO NOT copy paste your replies to other threads because this way you are doing the very same thing that you are asking others not to do.

My suggession was that there should be no ranking. I guess you didn't have time to read that. You see this is my point, in order to increase their ranking, people are making this forum more like a desi chat room. If you remove the motive, I think it all will be fine.

Regards,
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

No nooo...dont quit yet....
how about this...
Faraz...you list out the positives of ranking ppl and standing them out for the forum..im sure..you and all linux gurus like you are here to help...and not boast about who knows the most. And sr17?? you can list out the negatives. So far all i see is "what"..how about some how and why?
No disrespect
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

I would like to know that why we were here ? i think we are here to help peoples regarding their problem right ? if that is so then why we were fighting with each other ? All PLUCian's are Team Members.... so why you peoples fought with eachother ?

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
s7r1k3r

Sorry!

Post by s7r1k3r »

Faraz!

Sorry for the somewhat firy reply. I must be loosing my mind. And here I thought that I didn't. I guess I am not reading my own posts well. My sincere appologies.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that if there is no ranking then would it stop most of us from posting and helping each other? If not, then it would certainly stop the forum spammers. What is your opinion (all of you)???
a10n3 s7r1k3r
s7r1k3r

A side note

Post by s7r1k3r »

By the way,

If you consider my frequency of responses, you will notice that I am not even in the ranking race and I very much appreciate your posts because they are quite informative and I have learned a lot from them. So this should clear out that this thread is not targetting you or any other individual.
a10n3 s7r1k3r
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

s7r1k3r, dude i prefer you that don't make posts like that from which some one disheart or feel wrong about your self.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

alright thats it...
somebody had to take a stand here...so ill go...
with all due respect...the post above as an example(the first example i could find. no implied business this time!) I have looked at all of your 120 posts (yes you :) ) ( it wasnt easy but i did, coz i wanted to be sure of what i was talking about) and i found only about 9 posts that were actually of any use. This is not my forum nor am i any kind of an administrator here...but, looking at this thread and the forum size problem, i would suggest that if someone agrees with someone or if someone has to acknolwledge a "thanks in return" kinda post, it would be better if done via pm(private message) taking you as an example...most of your posts are sort of "agreeing" with someone elses comment or sometimes even not that much :). Im sorry for being so direct, I myself have done quite a lot of redundant posts as well..but it would be better if we use private messaging for all the irrelevant extra bit. I know all of you are gonna hate me for it, just wanted to put it out in the open.
Another issue i notice here...is the "ego" :)
there are a lot of ways to correct a persons advice, sometimes, being polite is all it takes...ive seen a lot of backfiring in this forum and degrading a person because he posted something stupid. Some of the gurus voice their opinions in a very patronizing tone which is the cause of most of the misunderstandings. Im sure no one means no ill will to the other but these little things do count. I havent read the forum etiquettes myself yet :p so if im rephrasing everything thats already been said ...SUE ME!:p
peace bros

:)
farhanksa
Subedar

Post by farhanksa »

aoa

thre must be hugs between ..............

LinuxFreaK
s7r1k3r
Faraz.Fazil

am i rite... lolzz :D :) :?:
guys pls be keewwll and dont get emotional.......
solute to u all guys