Open Asia: Open source in Mongolia, Nepal, and Pakistan

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Open Asia: Open source in Mongolia, Nepal, and Pakistan

Postby farhantoqeer » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:45 am

Hello All, here is something for all of your information.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/10/05/162252.shtml?tid=11

Cheers!
farhantoqeer
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:40 pm

I posted a message there.

This is what i posted:

========================================

Hello,

This is Faraz.Fazil, a moderator from linuxpakistan.net

Well, indeed linux usage is beginning to increase in pakistan.
But still there is a long way to go.

We, at linuxpakistan.net, are making a lot of unofficial efforts to promote linux in pakistan , in every possibe way we can.

We at linuxpakistan.net /PLUC , offer technical help to linux users from all around the world, especially from pakistan, we help them with their problems on our discussion boards/forums,provide answers to their questions, provide them with news relating to linux, provide information relating to linux jobs and alot more.We also have a knowledge base caled wiki.

We also hold regular physical meetings in some major cities like Karachi, Islamabad etc, where we discuss linux issues.

I myself am a moderator and an active helper at linuxpakistan.net forums and you can see me quite active there, helping people with their linux problems.

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/

============
Faraz.Fazil

Email: faraz7476@hotmail.com
============

OpenSource and Linux RulZ!

===============================================
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby khalido » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:17 pm

Microsoft Windows and Office together are available for 40 dollars in Thailand. However, the Pakistan government shows no sign or realization that they can bargain with Microsoft. So sooner or later, things are going to come to a head. Nobody here is going to buy software for a hundred dollars a pop here.

As Pakistan cracks down on software piracy, free software is going to become more and more important. Excepting the larger corporations and multinationals, every single computer in Pakistan runs pirated software. It will be interesting to see whether people will end up buying software, or switching to free alternatives. Even if the govenment starts jailing people, my guess is that about 2-4 percent of home users will pay western prices for software.
>> Link: Best Open Source or Free Software

If MS does lower prices, like it has in thailand, it's going to be a big blow to linux adoption in pakistan.
khalido
Lance Naik

Postby slick » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:48 am

f MS does lower prices, like it has in thailand, it's going to be a big blow to linux adoption in pakistan.

i dont think so, theres much more to linux(open source) than just being free. I see the linux community growing everywhere even when MS software can be obtained cheaper.
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
slick
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:13 pm

Linux is a complete professional operating system....that is best suited both to home users as well as for large businness organizations
It is good as a desktop OS as well as a server side OS.

Indeed...There is a lot more to open source and linux apart from being free as well.

In the old days people used the word linux to refer only to the kernel developed by linus trovalds.

Now there is so much stuff available in linux....it is indeed an awesome OS!
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby Tauseef » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:13 am

Well, Linux is not becoming popular in just 3rd world countries. It is becoming more of an official OS in rich countries such as Japan and Germany, whereas it is being evaluated in UK right now and I hope that it will become a standard there aswell.

That proves one thing. It is not just the money that makes Linux popular. There are many other factors involved.

Why Linux is not picking up as fast in Pakistan as other countries ???
I leave the monetary considerations aside.

Lets analyze other factors..

A) Lack of awareness

B) Linux applications are hard to find off-the-shelf in the market

C) No entertainment CDs for children and home users

D) 3rd party software and update packs are not available

E) Dialup Internet access

A lot of people here will argue that most of above is available on net free of cost. But you must consider that most people in Pakistan have dialup networking available to them. It is hard to download 100+MB update for Open Office, WordPerfect or KDE from the net. Forget about free download of Ximian Desktop which is 480MB+ download, that is the best Desktop for Linux available out there in the market ! . How many users will dare to download approx 500MB ISO image from the net ????

Now if a few CD-makers in Pakistan download these software and distribute the CDs for software such as above in the market, I am sure not only will Linux will gain momentum, these CD publishers will not be at loss either.

Just like I have mentioned a few software above, names and links for such software can be suggested and recommended by a lot of members here ( I am sure just about every Linux user here wants more than what comes standard with Linux distros )

Tauseef
Tauseef
Naik

Yahoo Messenger: tauseefshazad@yahoo.com

Postby khalido » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:14 pm

Awareness is a big problem. In Sasi Arcade recently there was a software raid, so for 3 weeks they hid all their software cds. I tried to explain to them that they don't have to hide the Linux cd's as that is free/open source software, but they just couldn't comprehend that.

Flyers with a easy to understand description with a few web links to learn more should help in this regard. All the cd shops would happily put up a well designed/catchy newspaper. I think for the LinuxPakistan site we need a section explaining for the layman what linux and open source is. A very simple explanation for dummeies along with screenshots.

With a number of people in the forums having access to broadband, it should not be too hard to keep dowloading updates/patches and distributing them. It would be nice if a local company or PTCL can be persuaded to mirror a few linux distros.
khalido
Lance Naik

Postby Tauseef » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:21 pm

Well while meds of this forum are already publishing some of the linux distributions, I think it'd not too much of an expectation to look up to them for such CDs.

And most of the members of this forum will be more than gratefull for this.
Tauseef
Naik

Yahoo Messenger: tauseefshazad@yahoo.com

Return to “%s” General