A little humour :)

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

A little humour :)

Postby outstream » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:31 pm

AoA

guys i came across this funny experience yesterday night. i thought lets share it with people on forum. some days back i had some problems in logging on to my ISP. i dialed out and asked for help. there was some maintainance going on. aisay hi i just asked the guy "man what OS does ur server has?". he replied "Linux". i said ok and i hung up.

Yesterday night i was just sitting idle. so i thought lets check the ppl out there on my ISP help line. i dialed out and i said "hey man i wanna make an account and dial through kppp. can u tell me how to start kppp and also whats baud rate u ppl offer?" he was like "WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?. what r u talking about". i told him i want to connect through Linux and it needs kppp and baud rate to get connected. *silence on the line* then he said "hold on , i dont know about linux, i`ll call my admin". after some time mr admin came "yes?" he asked. i repeated again every thing. he was like "sir i dont know, we dont offer help on linux platform". i said "man u r having ur server on linux right?". "yes" he said. i said" then what if at this time of night some problem occurs? how r u gonna solve it when u dont know how to do it? u are a system admin right?". he said "yes i am admin here and whenever we come across linux problems we call some free lancer linux professionals to help us out". lolzzz..guys i cant tell u...at 3 at night, sitting infront of my monitor screen, when all the world was sleeping..i was laughing like helllll... :lol:
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:09 pm

lol.

This is not new.
I already played with isp help line people many times, just like you did.

They think the person calling is dumb...but they donot know in some cases, the person calling may be their father .(when it comes to computing) ...hehehe
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby Anjum Butt » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:02 pm

I think its not a matter to laugh at.

Two years ago, I was contantly wasting phone calls trying to get customer support, and was constantly being told that the problem was on my end, according the customer support ppl the ISP didn't support Linux (sic).

Most ISPs' customer support dont even know anything except WindowsXP or Windows98.

I really think that ISPs in Pakistan should get better and well trained staff than what they have right now.
More will follow :)

Anjum Butt
Registered Linux User #314299
Anjum Butt
Company Havaldaar Major

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:36 pm

Agree.

The attitude of Most people at the tech support dept of the ISP's is highly unprofessional, due to the fact that most of them are untrained/unskilled.

Isp's need to make sure their employees are well trained and equipped with the neccessary stuff.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby if » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:30 am

Aslam-o-Alaikum,

An Experience with an ISP

today ISP is business... like one of ISP i know... they have 64Kbps on lease line (Shared) 128Kbps Downlink... their server is Linux based... 500+ normal customer (i don't know about any others) they installed their Linux Box from the company who setup their ISP... i don't see a person there with a name "Administrator", the receiption or customer care personnel know is their owner as Administrator...

So days ago... this ISP is hacked by someone... 2+ month he (hacker) create his own account... he set his own configuration etc., During this period when ppl (ISP customers) asked Customer Care ppl,

:?: Why we don't getting internet connected,
:?: Why download is slowed then .5 Kbps
:?: Why web site not opening
:?: Why our connect can't connect longer etc.

:arrow: they said... it's all PTCL problem etc... :lol:

Like this i see normally all the private ISP, try to shift out blame from their side to any other side...

infact ISP owners don't want to acquire

:arrow: Skilled Administrator because he (owner) know, if he hired a person who is good in Admin skills he need to pay him more... etc.
:arrow: Don't get their eqiupment better
:arrow: Don't hired good Customer Care ppl (ofcourse because of money)
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
if
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

WLM: ifhope@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: hope_never@yahoo.com

Postby outstream » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:09 am

AoA

yeah i think u made a point here. of course some Linux guru who knows all ins and outs of the operating system, and who has some experience of the job as administrator, wont be doing a job in an ISP for rs 5000. He has more and goood opportunities waiting for him. for example all of the Oracle is now being shifted on Linux platforms. the nationals and multi nationals will pay him more with attractive packages and hez surely gonna join em. hez not that crazy, i mean no one is that crazy to kick a 25,000 or 20,000+ job for a 5000 job in an ISP.

Basically i think thats the biggest tragedy going on in our country. people just want to spend less and expect best results. they just want to give a poor quality to customers and expect heavy amounts of money in their pockets.

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby if » Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:02 pm

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

As far as I know only 10% of Pakistani ISPs have average Administrator... rest of those can hack / punish by any person...
Last edited by if on Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,

please guide me... thx

Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu

if
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

WLM: ifhope@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: hope_never@yahoo.com

Re:

Postby LinuxFreaK » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:56 pm

Dear Outstream,
Salam,

Sir, In Regards of your Experience. I would like to tell you that if you call me and ask with me the same thing then i will help ya ;) and the person who Shok with you Question its due to Technical Support Peoples know that mostly peoples use Windows or Windows Like OS thats why they practice @ http://www.24hoursupport.com or http://www.helmig.com blah blah they did not Consider Linux or Linux Like Distro that some one aks with them that how can i connect my Computer from Linux.... ;) Any way all i say is we must have to do alots if efforts to teach Peoples Linux and i have a Great Idea from which we can teach ISP's Technical Support Peoples.... If Our Top 10 Poster Will Agreee.....

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php?pagename=LinuxFreak
WLM: f4fahmed@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: f4fahmed@yahoo.com
AOL: linuxpakistan@aol.com

Postby outstream » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:03 am

AoA

yeah i agree with u. but my point was the isp`s which have linux installed on their servers, must have a person always ready to handle that. i mean sys admin is supposed to be a person who knows and who can handle his server easily. that was the point, to hire people with the knowledge about a thing.

as far as calling at ur isp is concerned. i would never do that, if i already knew that its u whoze gonna pick the phone. i m just a baby kid in this world and u r man with experience of years :)

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Re:

Postby LinuxFreaK » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:12 am

Dear OutStream,
Salam,

Sir, I am not here to pick the phone but if you want to Connect your Computer @ Linux then i will Help ya ;)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php?pagename=LinuxFreak
WLM: f4fahmed@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: f4fahmed@yahoo.com
AOL: linuxpakistan@aol.com

Postby outstream » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:52 am

W.salam

O thats very generous of you, but i`ve alreay done that :p..some time later if i come across some problem, i`ll surely love to bug u on that :D

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Re:

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:51 pm

Generous of you to offer that.

But there are many people here on this forum as well, who can help users do that as well, and who are already helping lots of people here.

LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear OutStream,
Salam,

Sir, I am not here to pick the phone but if you want to Connect your Computer @ Linux then i will Help ya ;)

Best Regards.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby outstream » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:00 pm

AoA

yeah thats right sir. i didnt mean to offend any one here. it was just like ummm what u call a little frank chat/discussion between me n linux freak. :)

Good Day

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby farhanksa » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:52 pm

aoa

well each of the 5 fingers r not equall.
it happened to me many times but once ithappened so baddly..that a person y dontu stop using old -non-compatiable os.. he used few hard words...then i tok him to the couter :) he appoligized and also i called network admin he also applologised...
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

i don't see it as much of a problem

Postby lambda » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:16 pm

but then, whenever an isp contacts me about short-term work to fix up their servers, i charge rs 600/hr. that's way less than their downtime costs them.
lambda
Major General

Return to “%s” General