Discussion Board Suggestion - Everyone Read (Please)

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Discussion Board Suggestion - Everyone Read (Please)

Post by jargon »

I don't know about everyone else, but I think it would help if we posted an announcement for some rules about posting to make it easier for people to help each other.

This forum gets a lot of questions from people new to Linux and a lot of the questions are posted that leave anyone who would be willing to help in the dark.

This really goes for newbies to Linux since they are not always sure about Linux and usually leave important information out when submitting questions to their peers.

I propose that we mandate some sort of header to the post that
must always be filled out (kind of like a service ticket).

Here is a something general I whipped up

/////////////// Linux Pakistan ///////////////

(Please Search Forum Carefully Before Posting)

Linux Distribution & Version: XXXXXX XX

Problem Began: XXXXX XXXXX

Was Working Until: XXXXX XXXXX

General Problem: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Error Message(s): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Have Tried The Following: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hardware Specs: XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
(Where Applicable)

/var/log/messages Tail Dump: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Etc: XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

I think this might help, curious to what the site admin(s) have to say.
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

yes u'r idea is good... i agree with u...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

Your idea is not bad. But you know that how many ppl do know about all of those questions (which u said to be asked them before posting on the forum)?

It may infact discourage many new users from posting at our forum.

Anyway, let's see what other ppl say about this suggestion.

Regards,

-Meraj
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Having helped so many users here at LinuxPakistan with their problems, I fully agree with mrkhattak.

Users should have enough common sense to be aware that they need to describe their problem completely, to get a good answer.

how they describe their problem is their choice...but they should provide the complete details of their problem.

Any user having common sense would automatically post the details regarding his question , (the ones u posted.)

As mrkhattak said, if we make this as a rule, which is a good suggestion, but then as a result, some ppl may become hesitant to ask questions.Maybe we can post a generalized rule and not something like describing like what exactly they need to post like jargon did.Check the later part of my post for details.

I have helped many people here.

Some of them describe and post their question in a really excellent way.They even go to the extent of posting screenshots.I even helped a newbie recompile his kernel and that too from sources using make commands, which is quite a big task for a newbie.I provided him the instructions in a good and organized manner, and he followed them and communicated with me with a lot of common sense.and he successfully recompiled his kernel with my help.

I also had experiences helping people who really posted sloppy/incomplete questions and never bothered to search the forum...as most of their questions were already answered before.
and how they used their common sense....leave it.....

The point here is, users must themselves realize and make sure they need to post their question in a proper manner, with all the details.If we make a post/announcement/rule about this, this will not make any much difference...and they will continue to post sloppy /incomplete questions.Also it may discourage some users from posting questions.

BUt we still can make a general rule which goes something like: "You should search the forum to see if your question has already been answered.Even if you ask a question, make sure you describe your problem completely.You should include the details of the problem , error messages if any, what you did that caused this problem, and what have u done so far to correct it...

rather than making a rule which contains a lenghty list of what users need to post..

You may find my view some what different from yours.Read my post completely and you will understand the point i want to make
Linux for Life!
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

Hmm, True I see your point, I wouldn't want new users to feel discouraged, but we should have some general rules so that people who are lost or not sure how to post will have some template to follow.
Obviously we can't force people to follow such rules, but it would make some things somewhat efficient ,
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

How about we do this: Post the guidelines/template/whatever on the wiki. I'll modify the posting page so that it shows a message at the top that they should search forum archives before asking a question.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Good idea fawad.

I made a draft.How about these rules for posting questions:

====================

1.Before you ask a question, search the forum to see if your question has already been answered in some thread.If it is answered, read it carefully and donot ask the question again.If you still have some query related to it, post it in the thread that exists before and donot create a seperate thread.Only create another seperate thread, if it is really required.

2.If your question has not been answered before, then make a new thread and ask the question

3.When you ask a question, make sure you describe your problem/requirement completely.You should include the details of the problem , error messages (if any), what you did that caused this problem, and what have u done so far to correct it...You should also post what version of the distribution and program you are using.Use your common sense to make sure your question/problem is completly described.

4.Avoid asking multiple questions in the same thread...as it creates a hotch potch and jumbles it up.Use one thread for one question.

5.When someone helps you, be thankful to that person and thank him

6.You should not adopt an annoying attitude.Make sure your attitude is acceptable and you communicate with the helpers well.

=========================

if you guyz need any editing, post your suggestion here.

Fawad, If u agree with this, i will post them at the wiki and u can reference it.
Linux for Life!
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

fawad wrote:How about we do this: Post the guidelines/template/whatever on the wiki. I'll modify the posting page so that it shows a message at the top that they should search forum archives before asking a question.
even better: show it on every posting.php page.