Is there a need of posts like "I Agree", "LO

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Is there a need of posts like "I Agree", "LOL", "Yes it is" and all like that

Poll ended at Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:12 am

No - They must be stopped!
60%
Yes - They looks good and give a relax!!!
40%

Total votes : 10

Is there a need of posts like "I Agree", "LO

Postby farhantoqeer » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:12 am

Is there a need of posts like "I Agree", "LOL", "Yes it is", "Well done", "Good work" and all like that. I think we have to work around it. Suggestions?
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
farhantoqeer
Major General

Postby mahin » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:21 am

Must be one liner and no Quote and no signatures , then it is o.k, else no.
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

Postby zaeemarshad » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:33 pm

whats the harm in posting an appreciation of someone's answer. i agree that posts like lolz should be discouraged but a little bit of chit chat is healthy between the members. Remember we are trying to be interactive and as friendly as possible. take a look at the kernel development and mailing list and especially messages from alan cox and linus torvalds. it doesnt hurt i think. also it poses no harm if someone is posting his signature. a few bytes dont hurt the carriers i guess.

I have a suggestion that threads which are closed should be edited and only the problem and the solution should be present in them. once the thread is closed we can delete all the unnecesary stuff and just the problem and the solution.

Regards
Zaeem
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

WLM: zarshadvirk@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: negativecreep61@yahoo.com
AOL: zarshadvirk

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:25 pm

Replies like "lol", "yes it can be done", and "goto google.com" etc etc and other such unneeded replies are okay if they are used seldom..and to a limited extent.If someone posts one such reply in every 20 posts of his, then its somewhat ok...but if someone makes such unneeded posts continously, then this is where the problem lies, and this is not allowed.

I have seen many people with quite a lot of number of posts, most of which are like "GOod info", "LOL", "comments on other's nicks" , "Please use google." , "please search so and so download site" etc etc

IMHO, a balance needs to be maintained.Agreed we do need good interaction between the members.But at the same time, we all need to understand that such unneeded/unneccessary replies should only be posted seldom and to a limited and acceptable extent.Users should make sure that the bulk of their posts are valuable and of some use and not just flooding posts, not just aimed to increase post counts.Such unneeded replies, if posted to an unacceptable extent, do nothing, but waste our precious bandwith and resources...and destroy the hard work of those who spend their loads of time and efforts helping others...and then just see bogus replies being posted after their answer by members wishing to just increase their counts.

I have been watching rogue posting and extremely unneccessary replies for quite a while now.I donot need to point out names directly.

If things really get out of hand. MODERATORS, will take action, and posts may need to be edited.

And one more thing, When answering questions, members should only post if they have got something "useful" to say.If they donot know about what is being asked/discussed, it would be better for them to stay quiet, rather than posting bogus replies.

Also if a person's question has been completly answered by someone, members donot need to pick on those posts and just rephrase the answer given by the previous person, just to have their share of "heeeeyyyy meeeee tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.!!"

The point here is that a balance needs to be maintained...and most of the posts by members should be those of atleast some use and not just rogue posts.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby fawad » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:56 pm

Guys, I completely agree here. I think we should start deleting posts from now on that contain one liners like 'Yes', 'Well said', 'Rock on, dude!' and such. There's nothing more annoying than seeing posts in the frontpage (/index.php) only to find that the person only had 'I agree' to the discussion.

That said, I'd request the moderators to PM the person whose post is being deleted telling him why his post was deleted so he may avoid such behavior in the future.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:02 am

Agreed.
I will be undertaking this operation shortly.

fawad wrote:Guys, I completely agree here. I think we should start deleting posts from now on that contain one liners like 'Yes', 'Well said', 'Rock on, dude!' and such. There's nothing more annoying than seeing posts in the frontpage (/index.php) only to find that the person only had 'I agree' to the discussion.

That said, I'd request the moderators to PM the person whose post is being deleted telling him why his post was deleted so he may avoid such behavior in the future.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:20 am

I have posted an announcement here:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=877

It informs members that we are undertaking this operation.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” General