Covering a building with wireless signals, not using wire.

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
sarthor
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Covering a building with wireless signals, not using wire.

Post by sarthor »

سلام علیکم

I googled but still i need your advices/ideas also to know,
G/Floor, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, 3rd Floor--no Cable allowed to use for networking except [Point One], on the [Point one] there is DSL line, plugged in Linux proxy server(running dhcpd/squid/shorewall4.4),
how to throw wireless signals in all the building without using any wire? if we are using 4 APs in each floor so inside the rooms there be enough signals.
we only can put the APs in corridor, length of the corridor is about 200 feet, and on both sides of the corridor there are rooms with different number, (2,3, and 4 rooms / flat)
We afford till 180$ for single AP to purchase.

in the stairs area, I just checked roughly BulletM AP and my laptop, I got excellent signals from the ground floor AP to top floor While eye to eye contact was there,
I want to know your ideas, and i am sure that will help as always,

What Access point will be better, what will be the APs configuration or channel settings? what encryptions i can use with such network,
here is the image, hope it will help to understand more
Tefl E Maktab
-----------------------------
----- ----- ----- ------ ------ -------
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

for encryption, the ideal case is to use wpa2 with a long passphrase (over 20 characters). of course, if everyone knows the key then all the encryption does is keep random people from catching your signal.

at my workplace, we have two or three different access points for one floor (seven rooms). depending on where you place them and how far the signals go inside the rooms maybe you can do with just two access points per floor.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
sarthor
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by sarthor »

Salam O Alykum,
Thank you for reply,

I updated that image a little more, to make it easy to understand,
so again i will say, that cable/wires are allowed only on the point where there is DsL and Linux machine,
-- what setting of AP configuration will be better? Repeater, WDS or something else, if i am using as repeater so then WPA or WPA2 is not working, only WEP, and i do not want to go with WEP security,

if my way of asking question is not enough good or explanatory that LP visiter/members can understand, so you can asking me writing in urdu also,

Salam O Alykum,
Tefl E Maktab
-----------------------------
----- ----- ----- ------ ------ -------