Irc nicknames in profiles

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

Irc nicknames in profiles

Postby outstream » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:42 am

AoA

basically the question goes for people having administrator rights.

Guys i was thinking that is there any way that people from linuxpakistan.net, who come on #linuxpakistan on freenode.net on irc, can line up their irc nick names here on forum too.

I mean as we have fields of IM services as msn,yahoo, aol etc in personal information or in profile of members of forum, is it not good to add a field of irc nickname in that personal information too?. that way people comming on #linuxpakistan on irc can easily point out the people sitting there, who r regular registered members of forum.

I am posting this suggestion, being aware of the earlier thread about irc, which most of people encouraged, that there should be irc meeting point too. but yeah of course, the core problem solution service is still hold by a forum at linuxpakistan.net
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:58 am

Yes, that can be done...but, ofcourse only, if people have registered nicks at IRC, which is not the case with many of the irc users.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby zaeemarshad » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:25 am

There was that post about irc meetings but after that whole discussion and supporting the idea of irc meetings, its dead again. I still believe that weekly meetings at irc are a better option that random visits by PLUCians.
I am eager to attend one if there is a fixed date and time for it at the irc channel.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

WLM: zarshadvirk@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: negativecreep61@yahoo.com
AOL: zarshadvirk

Postby outstream » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:37 pm

AoA

as far as the registeration of nicknames is concerned, that can be done, wont be any difficult. however the process of registering a nickname on dalnet is more easy than undernet, (i still dont know how to register it on freenode servers, but i`ll find it out). people who are serious about this can just do it in no time, or atleast they`ll activate process of registeration of their nicknames.

its not about the weekly meeting on irc. its more about the regular users there. like i`m pretty much regular on dalnet. yesterday when i connected through freenode and later joined #linuxpakistan. it was only 2 users sitting there.

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Re:

Postby LinuxFreaK » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:36 pm

Dear All PLUCian's,
Salam,

LinuxFreak had been took by some one :(

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php?pagename=LinuxFreak
WLM: f4fahmed@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: f4fahmed@yahoo.com
AOL: linuxpakistan@aol.com

Postby outstream » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:13 pm

AoA

thats sad news LinuxFreek, but ummm its not necessary to have same nicks on irc as ur ID on forum, is it?

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby fawad » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:40 pm

AOA,
I happen to be one of the people with admin access to the site code. Got two comments on this topic
  • Unfortunately, apparently people on the forum can't bring themselves to come on IRC for some reason. Out official forum is #linuxpakistan on irc.freenode.net. I have xchat on autostart on my home and office machine (i hang out on a couple of developer chatrooms as well). Over the past month, I've only seen 4-5 people ever come into the chatroom (never seen more than 3 at a time).
  • I bet it's a really easy to implement this change but I'm pretty busy currently with work and a couple of OSS projects. If someone can send me a database update script, and a diff against phpbb 2.0.6, I'll be glad to merge that into the current website code.

Regards
-fawad
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby outstream » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:36 am

AoA

well yeah thats right. i have been going on official channel #linuxpakistan at freenode servers. there seem to be only 3 people including my self. how ever, i went on to undernet servers and there i joined #linuxpakistan, just to give it a try u know..and the user list of that channel was huge.

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Re:

Postby LinuxFreaK » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:55 am

Dear All PLUCian's,
Salam,

When ever i join #linuxpakistan @ freenode.org then i only found Basit Bnc there and no one else there :) I think so IRC Meeting should be postpond bcoz we need peoples 1st on our channel :) then we will help them :) and as you guys see freenode.org got many channel related to *nix/linux

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php?pagename=LinuxFreak
WLM: f4fahmed@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: f4fahmed@yahoo.com
AOL: linuxpakistan@aol.com

Return to “%s” General