PLUC KU Seminar 2002-08-08.

Linux, Open Source and IT related events in Pakistan (news and reports)
fawad
Site Admin

PLUC KU Seminar 2002-08-08.

Post by fawad »

I wasn't at the seminar, so I need details about
  • How many people attended
    I heard some of you guys used PowerPoint for the presentations. Is that true? If so, why?
    What was the general reaction to the whole seminar
    What went wrong?
    What went right?
    How would you rate the seminar on a scale of 1-10?
In general, I want to discuss the seminar in intricate detail so that we can know exactly what was done correctly and what didn't go through like it should have. Hopefully this thread will help us organize future events in a better way. Please post all comments or concerns here.
Syed Asim Ali

seminar details

Post by Syed Asim Ali »

The seminar started at around 3:15 . Around 5-6 PLUCians were there at the time of start , some joined later . At the start there were around 90+ students ; the figure was later reduced considerably , due to resons like :-
the mic wasn't working properly and the first speaker wasn;t lound enough to be heard by the back benchers .

The second presntation wentvery well.IPV6 was discussed in almost detail and not a simgle person left the hall during that presentaion .

The third presentation started late and althoug it was a good presentation some people left because it was already too late .

All in all it was a good seminar . I would rate it around 7( 6.7 may be ) out of 10 .

Aasim Ali.
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Pics!

Post by linuxgeek »

Aoa Guys ...

Did someone take the pictures? :?: if not then this is a serious issue guys ... we should actually take tons of pictures , scan them up , put them online , they are the only proof of our activites .... why dont anyone get a god damn camera and take some pictures ... how are we gonna grow .. he are we going to make people realize of our presence!

:x :oops: :cry: :(
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
sb

seminar - ku, dcs

Post by sb »

glitches:
- the seminar started late. partly because of us, but more because of our department's hard-to-bend policies.
- we had not installed staroffice/openoffice on the machine. a big sorry for that.
- one of the html format presentations would not run on anything on linux. so we had to move to windoze.
- the mic wouldnt behave nicely with uzair, causing most of his presentation to become a lil incomprehensible for the listeners.
- after the last presentation, the audience count was less than 50% of the original count.
- no photographs :/

achievements:
- originally had an audience of 100+ in the hall.
- people actually learned something new through basit's presentation. it was very well received.
- quite a few PLUC members attended :)

personally i think it could have been better, of course there is always room for improvement. but it wasnt all that bad too.
Raheel

seminar

Post by Raheel »

Congrats for the event! I wanted to attend the seminar too but couldn't due to office work hours :cry: ..... ARGGGG!!!!!
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

sorry junaid about pictures :cry: ... in the future we will try to be a little more responsible regarding pictures !

now ... we would InshAllah have a workshop at SZABIST ... see when r v going to finalize it ...

but this time, pls... pls... don't use any M$ tools i.e Powerpoint etc for the seminar, we have StartOffice, OpenOffice, KOffice etc believe me that could work fine.
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

Why not we plan something with informatics or Aptech , they are always ready for this sorta seminars and they have a large student base too!

mrkkhattak wrote:sorry junaid about pictures :cry: ... in the future we will try to be a little more responsible regarding pictures !

now ... we would InshAllah have a workshop at SZABIST ... see when r v going to finalize it ...

but this time, pls... pls... don't use any M$ tools i.e Powerpoint etc for the seminar, we have StartOffice, OpenOffice, KOffice etc believe me that could work fine.
Junaid Saeed Uppal
basit
Lance Naik

Permission to come in KU

Post by basit »

2 persons reported that they were not allowed to come in Karachi University .. one of them told me that guard even asked CS dept.
that if there is such activity , they refused to let him in ..

Aleem>actualli it was the KU guard that stopeed me
Aleem>he even asked from CS dept but they refused to let me in
basit@pak says>bad
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

u r right regarding this ... but we will wait, if anyone from APTECH etc join our forum, we will talk with them about linux workshop/seminars.

as far as SZABIST/FAST is concenred, we have members of PLUC studying there, so we will talk with them & it would be easier to arrange workshop/seminar etc.

it doesn't mean that we will only wait for them (i.e APTECH) to come to us, we will surely go to them by ourself too, but once we do it at SZABIT/FAST etc. :arrow:
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

I know people at aptech .. will ask them about karachi aptech nodes ...

cheers
--uppal

mrkkhattak wrote:u r right regarding this ... but we will wait, if anyone from APTECH etc join our forum, we will talk with them about linux workshop/seminars.

as far as SZABIST/FAST is concenred, we have members of PLUC studying there, so we will talk with them & it would be easier to arrange workshop/seminar etc.

it doesn't mean that we will only wait for them (i.e APTECH) to come to us, we will surely go to them by ourself too, but once we do it at SZABIT/FAST etc. :arrow:
Junaid Saeed Uppal

Re: Permission to come in KU

Post by Guest »

basit wrote:2 persons reported that they were not allowed to come in Karachi University .. one of them told me that guard even asked CS dept.
that if there is such activity , they refused to let him in ..

Aleem>actualli it was the KU guard that stopeed me
Aleem>he even asked from CS dept but they refused to let me in
basit@pak says>bad
Even though its too late now, did he say from which gate he was not allowed to enter the KU premsis?

[Fawad, my account here needs to be activated... till then Im posting as Guest.]
sb

Post by sb »

[oops, the above/last posting was by me=sabaina=sb :roll:]
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

sb wrote:[oops, the above/last posting was by me=sabaina=sb :roll:]
Done. Password was sent to your account.
sabaina
Cadet

Post by sabaina »

thanks! 8)
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

A couple of comments based on the discussion above.

1. No Powerpoint presentations. In fact, try to not use Windows at all in presentations. Imagine this conversation.

Salesman: Hi maam, I'm going door to door selling bottles of Coke (R). Pepsi sucks, Coke rules. Coke is the best thing since the Ford assembly line. It's got (this, that, ...).
You: Hmm, sounds tempting. What soft drink do you use at home?
Salesman: Umm, Pepsi

2. Details of the events need to be carefully layed out, documented, and announced well in advance for future events. Not only does being late and fumbling around cause inconvenience for the audience, it creates a bad image for the whole group.

Hope we can learn from our failures from this session to make future events a whole lot better, and use the success as motivation to continue the good work.[/b][/i]