is linux server is best for chat server for lan???

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
zinux
Cadet

is linux server is best for chat server for lan???

Post by zinux »

Hello.
i wish you guys would be nice and healthy as worth as ever.i am a new user and i want to know that i have compaq proliant dual processor and dell power edge 1300 dual procesor also.i wanna install linux to make a chat server and browsing server at the same time and distribute the load.well there is a 512mb of ram.please tell me which version is suitable and best for administering.onething in these system there is 9,9 gb of scsi hard disk attached.so please give me your decision so i will try my best to install it.thanx as advance.
ALLAH HAFIZ
Waqas Shamsi
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear zinux,
Salam,

Well mostly IRCD configured on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and its because its power full. you can check some of international Chat Servers Like for more information :)

www.dal.net
www.undernet.org
www.efnet.org

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Most of the chat servers i have heard of , use Linux or other unix/linux variants.

B.T.W dalnet has been continuing to remain crippled...(dont forget the enormous amount of DDOS attacks it was given)
Linux for Life!
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Faraz.Fazil,
Salam,
Faraz.Fazil wrote:B.T.W dalnet has been continuing to remain crippled...(dont forget the enormous amount of DDOS attacks it was given)
I think Linux/Unix did not responcible for DDOS Attack. Its due to their Servers which have not much bandwidht and IP Address. If you notice www.undernet.org then you can see that Undernet.org never goes down because there is a reason and that is they have much powerfull Circuits and they have good Admins :) Most of them whome i knew is dreamd, Nico, Revenger, Badger, netking, and Bjoern.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re:

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Hi freak,

You misunderstood my statement.
I never blamed linux for the ddos attacks on DalNet.I was just pointing out that dalnet has been crippled alot...not that it runs on linux or not.

LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear Faraz.Fazil,
Salam,
Faraz.Fazil wrote:B.T.W dalnet has been continuing to remain crippled...(dont forget the enormous amount of DDOS attacks it was given)
I think Linux/Unix did not responcible for DDOS Attack. Its due to their Servers which have not much bandwidht and IP Address. If you notice www.undernet.org then you can see that Undernet.org never goes down because there is a reason and that is they have much powerfull Circuits and they have good Admins :) Most of them whome i knew is dreamd, Nico, Revenger, Badger, netking, and Bjoern.

Best Regards.
Linux for Life!