How Can I connect to the internet through ISA SERVER?

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
naeem
Lance Naik

How Can I connect to the internet through ISA SERVER?

Post by naeem »

AOA,
Hye all there I am new to Linux I have installed Linux on the dualbooting with XP, Server 2003, Linux 8.0 cureently I am runnig. I am only using my PC in office as linux personal desktop. All the network is on 2000 family. Our server is running win2000 and ISA Server for internet connection sharing, I am able to browse the net through all other OSes, but how can I browse the net through Linux although I m providing my proxy server address, :cry: But i m unable to browse the net, I have configured it to get the address through DHCP of my win2k, Tell me what could be the problem. I will thankful to u all.
AsaifullahK
Cadet

Post by AsaifullahK »

you should check to see if your NIC is configured to work properly.
secondly, check if you've entered the correct DNS in /etc/resolv.conf

post your findings and then we can proceed further with the problem ( if it still exists after this ).
Regards,
Ali Saifullah Khan

Hail The Penguin !!!
naeem
Lance Naik

Post by naeem »

AsaifullahK wrote:you should check to see if your NIC is configured to work properly.
secondly, check if you've entered the correct DNS in /etc/resolv.conf

post your findings and then we can proceed further with the problem ( if it still exists after this ).
configuration of /etc/hosts file
127.0.0.1 Lab1pc16.haven.com localhost.localdomain localhost

configuration of /etc/resolv.conf
;generated by /sbin/dhlient-script
search haven.com
nameserver 192.168.0.4

configuration of /etc/sysconfig/network
networking = yes
hostname = lab1pc16.haven.com
gateway = 192.168.0.4

Hello Mr, AsaifullahK
These are the files that I have posted to you and I have plyed with those files, now problem I m having still, neither I can browse the internet nor I can browse my win2k domain tell me if I can solve the problem by installing the Linux again? and u guide me in this way. I'll be thankful to you. Plz help me
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

remove ur gateway entry from network file. if it doenst work then try it after removing nameserver entry.
raheel
Cadet

Re:

Post by raheel »

Assalamoalekum

Well, its been a long time i'm not in-touch with linux pakistan. It's really feeling nice to join you guys again. This topic catched my eyes and I guess I can provide you with some useful information.

Before proceeding any further with what I suggest below, be sure that you've got all TCP/IP settings working correctly [ like no stupid IP address lying in gateway setting etc ], and you can successfully ping that damn ISA server machines' IP.

While you are accessing web pages behind ISA Server, have you noticed that normally you could browse only using Internet Explorer, and not using other browsers like Netscape? That's due to the fact that ISA server uses an authentication mechanism it calls 'Integerated Authentication'. When Internet Explorer contacts ISA server to request a page, along with every request, it sends a hash that the server uses to authenticate you as a legitimate domain user [ You can verify this fact by sniffing some packets while you browse, just check the request header that your browser sends to the ISA server ]. This authentication method is not supported by other browsers, thats the reason why it renders most of the browsers useless. Moreover, if ISA server can be configured to support other authentication mechanisms that are standard and supported with most of the browsers.

To proceed with setting up things to work for you while you browse on linux, first you have to figure out if you have a legitimate access over ISA server configuration. If so, then the simplest way out is to enable Basic Authentication in your ISA Server [ follow the relavent documents ]. Once you have basic authentication turned on, you just launch your Netscape browser in your linux machine & set the HTTP proxy to ISA server & its port accordingly [ 80 or 8080 whatever you configured ]. As soon as you put a URL in your browser and press enter, it will prompt you for a user & password. Here you're supposed to provide your domain user in the form 'DOMAIN\username' & your secret password. Although using basic authentication is considered to be a security risk [ due to the fact that it's close to clear text password {with very loose encryption} passing from your network segments ], I suppose this won't be a problem on your local network. You should see the web page successfully in your browser.

If in case you cann't administor your ISA server, even then there's a way out. First try the technique above, should the administrator already enabled the basic authentication method. If it doesn't work, then you've to get hold of NTLMAPS, a dummy proxy server that just provides NTLM authentication in b/w your browser & ISA Server and makes the server fool to believe it's talking to Internet Explorer. Get hold of NTLMAPS, read its documentation, open its configuration file & put ISA servers' ip address, port in it, your user name, password & domain name too. Run the NTLM proxy, set your browser proxy settings to be your local machine & port pointing at where NTLMAPS proxy is bound for listening. Now NTLMAPS proxy will proxy your browser requests & add NTLM authentication hash to your request headers. This way the ISA server will start entaining your requests as it does with Internet Explorer & you'll see your pages successfully in your browser.

The same is explained in a lil bit detail in my howto document Web-Browsing-Behind-ISA-Server-HOWTO:

http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Web-Browsi ... HOWTO.html

It's currently a draft. Have a look at it: Any feedback is welcome.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Raheel Abdul Hameed
Software Engineer
Itim Associates (Pvt.) Ltd.
imrangr8
Cadet

how to use connect Yahoo messenger using LAN

Post by imrangr8 »

hi there
its really nice to c this forum.. its really helpful for the new users of linux like me :lol: i have recently installed linux 8.0 server at my home i m using cable net with win2k server with ISA .. the problem i m facing is that i cant connect my yahoo messenger and imici messenger :( on linux i have tried every poxxible thing.... i.e using socks 4 , http:// but no luck i can only browse the net ... can somone help me abt this matter + i cant open my resolv.conf file it gives the error no viewer found :oops: plz plz reply and tell me wat to do + how can i get into the network neighbourhood and make my way to the shared stuff ?

Allah hafiz

Imran