About Compatibility of Red Hat

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
mwalam
Naik

About Compatibility of Red Hat

Post by mwalam »

Aoa

I am a new user. I am living in UK. and I want to use the Linux. Red HAt or Mandrake. My Motherboard is MSI MS-6378 and Hard Drive is Western Digital WD 600. My mothwerboard is fully compatable with Linux- Mandrake but Hard Drive is Not. When i see the Hardware Compatability in the Red Hat website. It doesn't tell any thing about my motherboard and no Hard Drive is mantioned. Can you tell me the Hardware which is compatable with Mandrake is compatable with Red Hat and also about my Hard Drive.
Thanks.
[/img]
Waqas
kadnan
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by kadnan »

I`m also using Western Digital and its working fine with me
give a try

-adnan
mwalam
Naik

Post by mwalam »

Thanks But is it like this. Becuse most of the Western Digital Hard Drives are Compatable shown in the Mandrake Site. Is your shown in the Mandrake site?
Waqas
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

mwalam,
The hardware compatibility list is generally pretty outdated unless the hardware manufacturer makes it a point to have the new product certified with the OS vendor. I have yet to see Linux not pick up a ix86 motherboard or it's corresponding ATAPI hard drive. So i'd say the drive will most likely work.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

I did use Western Digital on RedHat, It didn't give me any problem. As far as harddisks are concerned, I have used many i.e Seqate, Quantum, Western Digital ... none of them had any problem. I never thought that I would have any problem with any harddisk under Linux :-)

regards,

-Meraj
mwalam
Naik

Post by mwalam »

well what is about my motherboard. Is the Hardware compatable to Mandrake is compatable to Red Hat
Waqas
farhanksa
Subedar

i had been using WD Caviar 36400 of 6.4 gb got mandrake 9.0

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
i had been using WD Caviar 36400 of 6.4 gb got mandrake 9.0
but me personally is not satisfied with the western digital harddisk....i think some times it is not detected by some mother boards...may be bcz of any other reason...??
i got another WD CAviar 32500 of 2.5 gb but its out of order now
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Well a friend of mine installed redhat 9 on western digital without problems.

Here is my quick tip to see if ur hardware is compatible with linux or not(it wont destroy any os , partition or data)

1.Boot from linux setup cd.
2.While it initializes, it checks your hardware.It shows the model information on the screen.If the hard disk and motherboard are shown on the screen, it is compatible and will work.
Even if u attempt to install linux on any uncompatible system, you wont lose any data or os or bootloader configs.Linux will proceed to completion only if hardware is compatible.My point is an incomplete linux installation only occupies space on the hdd, and doesnot case any sort of loss.