USB Modems

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

USB Modems

Postby fadain » Sat May 31, 2003 8:03 am

Hello everyone,
Usb modems.......piece of cake...huh???....at least for window user.
But for linux users it isn't.......
Somedays ago i bought U.S. robotics 56k faxmodem USB V.92. :cry: how excited was i........... not until i tried it on Redhat.
Redhat don't seem to detect this modem. Everyone told me that USB modems are winmodems, they dont work. But some people actually managed to make there usb modems work(now dont tell me to ask them, i already did but they use different manufacturers).
Now you people are my last hope to make my beloved modem work on my favorite Redhat ( RH 9.0). Just tell me how to make it work, where can i find its driver etc.
And please please dont tell me to buy a serial modem... i had enough of it......and ofcourse, i love her.
Regards,
Fadain.
fadain
Havaldaar

Postby shaheryar786pk » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:25 pm

Check if linux has detected your USB port correctly. Try looking at /usr/lib/linux*/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o. If you can't see anything like this there then most probably your Linux Kernel does not supports USB. You have to compile your kernel.

If your Linux detects and have USB module at the specified place then you muct have a Win-Modem. :(
Shaheryar S. Sheikh
shaheryar786pk@yahoo.co.uk
shaheryar786pk
Lance Naik

WLM: shari_786pk@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: shari_786pk@yahoo.com

Postby fadain » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:35 pm

thanx for your reply,
currently linux is not installed on my machine otherwise i have checked what you said. But i do know that at that time my USB keyboard was working fine on it.
And please buddy dont let it go..... i want to make my modem work on the linux...somehow.
Regards,
Fadain.
fadain
Havaldaar

Return to “%s” Installation