lilo

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
skswati
Naik

lilo

Post by skswati »

AslamuEliekum
yesterday i installed redhat 9 with duall boot with winxp and windows server2003 i choosed lilo as boot loader and forget to change the mbr now it is on mbr. i created a floppy to boot it but it is unable to boot from floppy.
i tried using linux rescue from cd rom
and then i
chroot /mnt/sysimage
rdev and i found it is on hda11
then i did
dd if=/dev/hda11 of=/boot/linux.ldr bs=512 count = 1 (explain this command too) (according to zaeemarshad he descibed it in his message dual bootproblem n red hat)
then i mounted mine hda1 and copied the linux.ldr to that mount hda1
using command
cp /boot/linux.ldr /mnt/windir
and when i see the ls of /mnt i found the file in /mnt but when i went in windows i didnt find it in windows i searched it every partition so now i m unable to paste it in c drive and unable to change boot .ini file
now u can tell me other methad to correct mine boot or correct the methad which i followed or u can direct me to any url which clearly explain all boot process and its config
Allah Hafiz
shaheryar786pk
Lance Naik

Post by shaheryar786pk »

Brother your message sounds so much confusing to me. Please repost your problem by answering the following problems,

1. You installed the boot-loader on MBR or First Sector Of Boot Partition?

2. After completion the Linux installation, was your computer able to boot itself or not? If yes what Operation System it booted into?

3. On what partitions your systems (WinXP, Win2k3 and Redhat) are installed?

4. Did you ever used/configure LILO before?

5. What exactly you want? Do you want to choose an Operation System from LILO screen?

If I could understand your problem and had solution for it i will provide you will all the commands you need to enter and their functionality. :)
Shaheryar S. Sheikh
shaheryar786pk@yahoo.co.uk
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

dear buddy,
your post is definitely confusing. as far as i know if you have mounted your c drive like
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
and then
cp /boot/linux.ldr /mnt
it should work as it never has failed. the method is proven. i have fixed a 100 bad installations with it. cant doubt it.