Modem Problem

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

Modem Problem

Postby usman767 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:16 am

i have an aopen modem .When i try it query on KPPP.It works on/dev/tty1.When i query for it it says that modem ready. and uit cheacks for some commands linke AT,AT1 etc.But it does not show anyb results in the next results window.When i try to connect it it says Initilaizing Modem and then does nothging.It is a soft modem and working well under XP
usman767
Cadet

WLM: musman_2002@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: usmanfcs
AOL: usman767

does kudzu detects it

Postby farhanksa » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:22 am

does kudzu detects it
can u see it by command scan pci ?
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:38 pm

Is your modem a pci or isa based modem or is it a winmodem?
If it is a winmode, then forget it.Winmodems are crap and they dont work under Linux.

If you have got a pci or isa based modem, check to make sure it is properly configured.Try running the kudzu hardware config utility to configure it.Also check if it is listed under the scan pci/lspci command.
If your modem is not detected/configured properly, then u may need to get a module driver for it from the manufacturer's website.SOme ISa based old modems can also be configured as a generic modem.

Also did u try the network devices panel to access the modem instead of kppp? (Network devices connections support dialup connections, and are created/configured independent of KPPP conns)
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

i will compile all my research related to modem

Postby farhanksa » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:20 pm

salam
i will compile all my research related to modem .i had been using internet modem with linux..successfully..
it needs some of ur devotion to struggle and bravery when u r stuck up.

wt do u think..is the modem compatiability the one of the main reason for ppl not using much linux in pakistan???
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Re: i will compile all my research related to modem

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:50 pm

Yes, i too have been using various types of modems successfully in linux for quite alot of time now.
Yes every work does need dedication and struggle.This is what effort is all about

farhanksa wrote:salam
i had been using internet modem with linux..successfully..
it needs some of ur devotion to struggle and bravery when u r stuck up.

NO, i dont think so.It may be a minor reason, but surely not a major one.The thing is that most computer users here in pakistan are new users, whose expertise level is even newbie level or even below that.Most users are not in a position even to solve their simple windows troubleshooting tasks, let alone attempting to install a new OS like linux, or helping other people troubleshoot problems in windows or linux.

farhanksa wrote:salam

wt do u think..is the modem compatiability the one of the main reason for ppl not using much linux in pakistan???
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby linuxgeek » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:07 am

Hello there,

Why dont you guys compile it up and we can put up that stuff / help pages over howtos.linux.net.pk , I will provide you with free space and all priviliges and other stuff. Drop me an email at uppal at linux dot net dot pk

regards

~uppal
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
linuxgeek
Site Admin

AOL: pakipenguin

Return to “%s” Installation