Help me to Insall LINUX

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

Help me to Insall LINUX

Postby viconly » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:12 am

AoA
My prb is I want to install LINUX on my computer without erasing any sort of DATA...
I have 60 GB of drive with 6 partitions ,,, in C I have 98 and in E I have XP... I want to install LINUX on G drive...... Is it possible... ?????

I tried to install it... but I can't understand at the point ,, how to use fdisk of LINUX and also automatically partitioning section or manddrive I think so... ...... So any one of u can tell me how I can...
One more thing my G drive have 5.89 GB of space..... So I think its enoug to install LINUX on it....... and is it necessary to install swap file on to other drive and what is swap file and how we set it..... Although if I m right it is used as RAM ..... I have a 128 MB of RAM..... so I think I haven't need of swap if it is used as RAM.
So plz help me...
thx
Allah Hafiz
viconly
Cadet

Postby farhanksa » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:48 pm

ya u can install on any partition..
u should use the disk druid for partititon its GUI based and easy for u

its plenty of space to install the linux more than enough..
ya u ned the swap
u can make 256 mb swap asu have lots of space
good luck
salam
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby mrkkhattak » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:13 pm

Assalamualaikum,

A desi tareeqa for installation. through DiskDruid (redhat's GUI disk paritioning tool) U delete ur one parition (which must be empty, i.e G). after deleting that, u would have empty space (of the size of ur parition u just deleted i.e 5GB). create two partitions one swap (which should be double of ur RAM size i.e for 128MB RAM 256MB) and the rest should be allocated to / partition (u can create more partitions, but that may be a bit more advanced for u ). after that .. u can click on next to continue with ur installation.

I hope you would be able to do this, if u see anyother problem, pls do let us know on this forum.

Regards,

-Meraj
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

WLM: mrkkhattak
Yahoo Messenger: mrkkhattak
AOL: mrkkhattak

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:42 pm

You got the answer.
If you follow the steps correctly, u can be assured you will get linux running without any loss of partitions.

Remember never to use automatic partitioning option.It will delete all your partitions.

The best way is the one by mrkhattak.
Free a partition in windows ..make it entirely empty by moving data to other drives.This is the drive on which linux will be installed,It should be of a sufficient size.

Start the setup and select the disk druid as the partitioning mode.
Delete the partition u emptied.Create a new ext2 or ext3 partition for "/" Alot it the max free size available but leave 256 mb free for swap.

Also create a 256 mb swap drive.

Complete the rest of setup, select a bootloader.Although grub is good but I recommend lilo for newbies.

Select the correct settings for x and thats it

Happy linuxing!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

The easiest way.

Postby s7r1k3r » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:36 am

Assalam-O-Alaekum!

The easiest way IMHO to installation is to empty one partition (by moving all its data to another partition) and then removing that partition either by DOS/Windows' fdisk.exe or some third party program like Partition magic. Then just start linux installation, select auto partition, and then select "Use existing free space". Seems to be the most comfortable for new bies.

ALLAH HAFIZ.
a10n3 s7r1k3r
s7r1k3r
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Postby sakbar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:29 am

I agree with Mr. Meeraj Totka, i use it myself most of the time. This is the easiest way to do it & its safe as well.

--shakeel
sakbar
Naik

WLM: sakbar76
Yahoo Messenger: shakeel_akbar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:33 am

I repeat, specifying linux setup to use auto partitioning may destroy all your partitions, as it will create partitions according to its own will.I have personally tested this.

So its better to be safe and use this:

=====================================
Free a partition in windows ..make it entirely empty by moving data to other drives.This is the drive on which linux will be installed,It should be of a sufficient size.

Start the setup and select the disk druid as the partitioning mode.
Delete the partition u emptied.Create a new ext2 or ext3 partition for "/" Alot it the max free size available but leave 256 mb free for swap.

Also create a 256 mb swap drive.

Complete the rest of setup, select a bootloader.Although grub is good but I recommend lilo for newbies.

Select the correct settings for x and thats it
=======================
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby thewizard » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:39 pm

okay u seem like a newbie so herez a lil easy way

use partition magic to resize ur wondows partions if u have the space there or to change ur paetiton to a linux partiton . this program runs in windosws and is very wasy to use . next run the linux Druid or Fdisk ( i prefer DD its easier ) but tnbe just choose the partion created using partion magic and !! enjoy linux :)
thewizard
Cadet

Return to “%s” Installation