:?: JVM for Redhat 7.3

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

:?: JVM for Redhat 7.3

Postby justujoo » Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:59 am

Hi... could any one tell me the exact command for setting the JVM Class Path......
Scenario is I was installing LimeWire .... by giving the ./LimeWire... .bin. It initialize and prepare for the installation but than say that you need to install JVM ... while JDk is install on my system ... the problem i guess is that ..I have to set the ClassPath for the installation... I dont know the command ... if some one here help me with that... oh one thing more... i downloaded J2SE and JRE and only run the RPM ... is there any thing else i need to do... to complete the istallation...
Thanks & Regards
justujoo
Lance Naik

WLM: justujoo@hotmail.com

Postby fawad » Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:44 pm

justojoo,
You don't need to set the classpath for JDK>=1.2. Just install the rpm, which will put the package in /usr/java/?. At that point, the jdk is usable, however, you might have to set up some symlinks. One thing that could be done is put /usr/java/jdk/bin in the PATH. Another option is to set up a bunch of symlinks from /usr/java/jdk/bin/* to /usr/local/bin. Some programs that bootstrap from shell scripts require that the JAVA_HOME (or JDK_HOME) envvar be set to the Java directory. for that put

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk
export JDK_HOME=${JAVA_HOME}

into ~/.bash_profile.

This is all assuming that you have the JDK installed already (which I don't think Redhat does).
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Return to “%s” Installation