About installation and new user of Linux as wall as on this

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

About installation and new user of Linux as wall as on this

Postby arpanet » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:28 am

ADAB.

I am want to install linux first time I have 2 hard drive on one I want to install xp and 2000 and on second I want to install xp and linux I use one hard at one time one for using net and second for home use is it possible that I use both drives at same time and how did I make the partitions on the hard drive on which I want to install linux.
How to install drivers of VGA ,SOUND and modem is install v90 is compatible with linux.

RAB RAKAHA.
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

WLM: allahlok@hotmail.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:13 am

Well, you are posting here with double minds.Please clarify whether, both the hard drives will be used on the same computer simultaneously, or they are being prepared for 2 different pc's? i.e are u planning a dual boot system or what?

If both the drives will be used simultaneously, then why are u installing xp on both drives?

And yes u can use both hdd's on the same computer, by setting one drive as master and the second as slave.But in that case xp only needs to be installed on one drive.

For a dual boot system the os's should be installed in this order.

1.Install win2k
2.Install winxp
3.Install linux and use lilo as the boot loader.Make the linux partitions thru the disk druid in the linux setup.

(this is for a dual boot system , where all the os will be installed on one hdd or even if both hdd's are used, they will be used in combination simultanously with the objective of using collective free space and not one hdd at a time)
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby arpanet » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:37 am

ADAB.
Yes I am going to use both hard drives on one pc and I want to install Linux, Xp and server 2003 I use Xp and older version I want to check 2003 and Linux.

which modem is going to sport Linux is Intel v90 do the sport.

And tell me some installation method tips to install Linux. I nave install it before.

and what is the
use lilo as the boot loader.

RAB RAKAHA.
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:40 am

which linux distro are u gonna install?
are u gonna install redhat linux 9?

Okies lets start.I assume you are going to use both ur hdd at the same time simultaneously for combined size, and that all your operating systems are currently on one hard drive.

Connect both drives to your pc.Set the drive on which xp is installed as master, the second as slave.

Once both the hard drives are set up,Since you already have winxp installed, proceed to installing windows.net 2003 server on a different partition..Make sure u tell it to dual boot.

Once win.net server is installed, check if both xp and 2k3 are working properly in a dual boot manner.

After everything is ok, u need to free some space ,about 4-5 gb for linux.For that choose a partition/partitions of that size.Free them by moving their data to another partition..

Start linux setup.Select the disk druid for partitioning.DONOT tell it to use auto partitioning,coz it will delete all your partitions.So manually parttion using disk druid utility.You will see the partitions that u emptied.Then delete the empty partition/partitions that u reserved for linux, so that u have atleast 4-5 gb free unpartitioned space.Create an ext3 partition with mount point "/" allocate it the max size availbale - 256 mb.

Create a 256 mb swap partition.

Install linux and complete the setup.
Select lilo as the bootloader, and install it on the MBR (master boot record)
also create a linux boot disk thru setup to be on safe side.

Once setup completes, congrats everything is ready and u can start using ur system.

P.S dual booting win.net server with linux has not been tested.
Dual booting with winxp, win2k and linux works fine and has been tested.

For modem support, intel v90 does work under linux.If you have a problem then, download the intel v90 winmodem driver for linux which is available at www.linmodems.org

Lilo and grub are linux boot loaders/boot managers

If u still have questions, feel free to post here or contact me.

Good luck!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby arpanet » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:30 am

ADAB.

.Create an ext3 partition with mount point "/" allocate it the max size availbale - 256 mb.

how i can creat extra partion and is tis partion is in side that 5 gb hard portion.

Create a 256 mb swap partition

how to swap

i had download the modem drivers and now it was in the windows partion how can i bringe them to linux partion.

Dual booting with winxp, win2k and linux works fine and has been tested.

its mean battre to install win xp and put the 2k3 on the side.

Select lilo as the bootloader, and install it on the MBR (master boot record)
also create a linux boot disk thru setup to be on safe side.

give me tips to do this steps.
and thanking 4 replies in so fast.

RAB RAKAHA.
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

pls dont make mess

Postby farhanksa » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:43 pm

u need an empty oprtion in ur hd
out of that u have to make 2 partitions
one is ext3 type mounted as /
other is the swap

to access the windows partition from linux
make any directory using
mkdir /directory
mount /dev/hd?? /directory ??=ur partition alphabet and no# which u can see by fdisk -l
by this u made a dir names as directory and u had mounted the harddisk partition on it
then cd /directory and u r in the windows partition

dual booting is not a problem...i am running 98,xp,2k,2kadvance server, rh 7.3,8,knopics,mandrake at the saem time well i havent tested ?2k3?
the best adn easiest for u is to study from any book about the loader..lilo or grub....
or make the bootable floopies of evey linux u install.

lilo is loader which loades ur os for ur esines u must write it on MBR the first sector from where hd starts to read
good luck
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:24 pm

For partitioning issue:
==============
Since i assume, you havent installed linux yet, so to create the linux partition , u have to use the disk druid utility in linux setup.For that u should have atleast 5 gb unpartitioned space.If you dont have unpartitioned space, then u need to delete one of ur free windows partitions.Thats is why i told u do empty a partition before hand.

Case #1:
--------
In case you have unpartitioned space, just click the create partition button in disk druid utiity in linux setup.It will ask for mount point make it "/" , for size allocate about 4700 mb. Click Ok.Follow same steps for swap.For swap u just have to allocate it the mount point of swap.size make it 256 mbThats is ..Its so simple.

Case#2
--------
If u dont have unpartitioned space, then delete all the data from one windows drive and move it to another, so that u have atleast one drive of 5 gb that has no data on it.Then in linux setup in disk druid, delete that partition by clicking delete button in disk druid.Then click create partition button in disk druid utiity in linux setup.It will ask for mount point make it "/" , for size allocate about 4700 mb. Click Ok.Follow same steps for swap.For swap u just have to allocate it the mount point of swap.size make it 256 mbThats is ..Its so simple.

Yuo can also use partition magic for resizing or deleting your windows partitions and also for creating ext3 partitions.BUt for that only use partition magic 8 or above.

If u ask for my opinoion, i would tell u to aviod hassles and use the disk druid utility in the linux setup.

For accessing windows drives in linux (after linux is installed)
===================================
For accessing windows partitions in linux, once ur linux is installed, you need to mount the drive first.

Find out which drive u want to mount by using fdisk -l command it lists all ur drives and their geometries and /dev/hda NUmber

Once u have the hdaNo which will be like /dev/hda2 etc then :
issue this command in terminal:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdaNO /mnt/mountpoint

where, hdaNO is obtained from fdisk -l , mount point is like /mnt/drive1
u can create any mount point of ur choice.Just you have to browse to the mount point to access the fils.

vfat is used for fat and fat32 drives.For ntfs u need to check if ur kernerl supports ntfs if not then u need to recompile ur kernel.

once the drive is mounted, goto /mnt/mount point directory.You will be able to acces the drive from there.

Dual booting:
========
For dual booting i already told you, just follow the steps i mentioned before and read my post carefully.

P.S arpanet, i have already explained u each and everything in detail.Please try to read the post carefully, you will get the answers.

Message from me to newbies:
=================
If u are a total newbie, no problem...contact me on msn/icq/aol and i can explain it to you in easier terms...even maybe in urdu..so that u may succeed in installing linux and using it.

Hehe man its really difficult explaining things to total newbies...just a joke

Good luck yaar!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby arpanet » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:04 am

ADAB.
Yes u r Right that i did not instal it yet coz i was looking 4 the Questions fist that was in mymind. now they are about to clear and i will instal in one or 2 day.

and i ask which version of linux is good to use any old like 7 or earlier.
any coments plz give me.

you did not tell me how to creat the start up disck.
and i add u faraz in msn so allow me to make a chat.
take care and thanks 4 the ansers.
RAB RAKAHA.
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Postby lambda » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:26 am

arpanet wrote:and i ask which version of linux is good to use any old like 7 or earlier.
any coments plz give me.

use the latest version of whatever distribution you install, and then immediately upgrade it using its online tools.
lambda
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:07 am

Hehe i guess when installing any distro , installing the latest version is recommended, becoz it will have the latest packages and the latest kernel
IN case of redhat install the latest version i.e redhat 9.

I use redhat 9 and find it good enough.
As i have said many times, most distros are same in the sense that they use the ssame packages like a gnome or kde desktop etc.
If u ask for my opinion, i would recommend installing redhat linux 9.

Creatting a linux startup disk is easy.Since yo havent installed linux yet, so during linux setup, it will prompt u if u wanna create the disk. click yes and insert a floppy and create the disk.

The startup disk can also be create once the linux is installed using dd command.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby arpanet » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:08 am

ADAB.
THANKS for the happy posting and i also get some books from net and notes that will help me. and ur posting allot.

RAB RAKHA.
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:15 am

Np friend.
Always a pleasure helping my fellow pakis.
Good luck with your linux ventures.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” Installation