any one tried to install linux on USB drive??

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

any one tried to install linux on USB drive??

Postby farhanksa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:58 pm

aoa

is ther any way to install linux on usb drive?? i mean only minimal instalaiton (no GUI) ?
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:18 pm

Salam,

As far as I know, you must create the "other block device driver"
floppy, and install in "expert" mode. The standard installer kernel
does not have USB support built in. I've not actually done it (it's
dangerous to have the kernel install on an easily-removable media).
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:23 pm

B.T.W there is no use and no sense in installing linux or any opperating system to a removable usb drive.

If u want a linux distro or an os that should be able to run directly from removable media then try giving the knoppix distro a try.There are many other distros like knoppix too that run directly from a cdrom without an hdd, with full terminal, gui, even multimedia and internet support.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

i tried knopics but

Postby farhanksa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:26 pm

hi
i tried knoppics from cd and also installed..but the think i just wana install minimal kind bcz of the need of heavy data transfer between differnt systems.
so is it possible?use any trick
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:26 pm

B.T.W there is no use and no sense in installing linux or any opperating system to a removable usb drive.

If u want a linux distro or an os that should be able to run directly from removable media then try giving the knoppix distro a try.There are many other distros like knoppix too that run directly from a cdrom without an hdd, with full terminal, gui, even multimedia and internet support.

Knoppix Description: This Linux distribution runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is uncompressed on the fly, allowing them to fit 2 GB worth of system and programs on one CD, including a complete X server, KDE and Gnome, and large packages like OpenOffice and The Gimp. Since it runs solely off the CD, Knoppix makes an excellent portable Linux demo or system rescue disk, but its completeness makes it a good general purpose distribution as well.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re: i tried knopics but

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:29 pm

Well, if the sole purpose of using the usb drive, is data transfer betwwen linux and non linux drives, then why dont u just configure the usb drive as removable sotrage media in linux and access it by mounting it as a removable usb drive, then read and write data on it.Whats the use of installing a distro on usb drive then?

To read write data on a usb drive thru linux, all you need is to make sure that ur kernel supports the corresponding usb support, then u just have to mount the usb drive and read write the data by:

mount -a /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive

or

mount -a /dev/sda2 /mnt/usbdrive

If you have problems accessing the usb drive in linux, tell me the exact model that u have and any more info about the usb drive.I will try to help u.

farhanksa wrote:hi
i tried knoppics from cd and also installed..but the think i just wana install minimal kind bcz of the need of heavy data transfer between differnt systems.
so is it possible?use any trick
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” Installation