RPM Client

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

RPM Client

Postby kadnan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:28 am

i dont know i already started this thread in some other section or not..anyways..

there is no GnoRPM with current redhat distros..what are you guys using for rpm installations? "rpm -i pkg.rpm" like me?=)
kadnan
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:30 pm

Well,GnoRpm is A graphical front end to the Red Hat Package Manager, for GNOME.

The folks at redhat, they have removed the gnorpm from redhat 9 and introduced a new package management tool called redhat package management ( gui based)
You can invoke it by typing this command in terminal:

/usr/bin/redhat-config-packages

or simply goto start menu=>system settings=> add remove programs.

So by default, in redhat 9, you can use the gui based redhat package management tool or u can use the good old traditional terminal based rpm -i rpmname.rpm command.

I still use these command to install packages:

rpm -i rpmname.rpm (installs packages in normal mode)
rpm -Uvh rpmname.rpm (installs packages in upgrade and verbose mode)
rpm --nodeps -U rpmname.rpm (skips dependencies)

Even if u dont have gnorpm, u can still use gnorpm again to install the packages.TO do so just download and install gnorpm from http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc ... =Search+...

or directly from: ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/conectiva/snaps ... l.i386.rpm

You will then be able to use gnorpm again.

But imho, the terminal based rpm command is enough for all purposes.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby kadnan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:16 pm

Hello Faraz
yes i know gnorpm is GUI client and i also know current redhat client for RPM but it doesn`t allow you to install 3rd party RPMs..does it?they tried to copy ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS of windows but windows does provide facility to Install 3rd party softwares

-yes gnorpm is available on rpmfind.net but rmps are not uptodate..i wonder old rpm will work on redhat8? if yes then i could install gnoRPM package from redhat7.3 CD

-adnan
kadnan

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:37 am

Indeed, the redhat package manager doesnt allow u to install 3rd party rpms.They just allow u to add or remove the packages that are included in redhat distro by default.

For gnorpm, i guess the only way to find out if older versions of gnorpm will work on rh 8 or 9 is to give them a try on installing.Or download a latest available version from rpmfind.net or from gnome's or ximian's website.

That is why i said the traditional terminal based rpm command is still the best and enuff for all purposes.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby fawad » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:24 am

Doesn't the KDE on Redhat come with kpackage? That'll give you a pretty good frontend to installing RPM packages.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby kadnan » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:38 am

fawad wrote:Doesn't the KDE on Redhat come with kpackage? That'll give you a pretty good frontend to installing RPM packages.

not anymore..or atleast not with Redhat plus KPackage isn`t being mainted anymore you may try http://apps.kde.com
kadnan

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:41 am

Yup, kpackage is not included in redhat 8 or 9
You can still get a copy of it and install it from apps..kde.com or rpmfind.net, but as kadnan, said it isnt maintained anymore.

Guyz, what is the need to install packages like kpackage or gnorpm other than attractiveness, when u can use the terminal based rpm command for all purposes?
AS i said before, IMHO the terminal based rpm command is enuff for all purposes.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” Installation