modem problem

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

modem problem

Postby maksimus » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:57 am

ASA i have a motorola sm56 fax/voice modem and i am not able to install it in linux and not able to make an internet connection dialer. Please help me!!!!
Mohsin Ali Khan
maksimus
Cadet

WLM: mak_iba@msn.com

its rpm works with onlu rh 7.1

Postby farhanksa » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:52 am

aoa

sm56's rpm we got only for rh 7.1 and i had beenusing that..for a long time
there r lots of posts regarding modem at the forum pls do search on the forum
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:00 am

sm56 drivers are available only upto redhat 7.1. motorola has stopped supporting the sm56 modem too, so very little chance of a driver for redhat 8 or 9, but there is some hope.

This is for all the Sm56 users, who are searching for Linux driver for SM56 Modem. Motorola has developed the modem driver for the Redhat 7.1 Linux. But unfortunately the Driver does not support the Kernel from RedHat Linux 7.2 on Wards . From the RedHat 7.2 kernels the contains a few lines of code in the slab.c that does not allows more usage of memory.

But Jan Michel Ibanez has developed a Kludge for the SM56 Modem Driver that is available with this Tar file. From Red Hat 8.0 or from Kernel version 2.4.18-14 on wards there is new problem with the precompiled kernel of any version of Linux such as SuSe , Mandrake etc that gives a Segmentation Fault with a call from SM56 driver called __wake_up that hasn't been fixed that yet.

http://www.geocities.com/rajeshkizhuvee ... m56.tar.gz

More info: http://www.sm56.tk/

But there is only a 40 % chance that the above sm56 emu drv will work.So if u ask for my recommendation, i would recommend u to get a new isa based modem.Or a pci modem that is supported in linux.

Winmodems also known as builtin modems are crap anyway, as far as their overall performance , stability and effectiveness are concerened.Also they hog down ur system resources.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby newbie » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:21 am

very nice information faraz fazil.

and yes buy isa modem or any pci modem with conexant chipset because conexant has the largest modem drivers project for linux.
Company Havaldaar Major

WLM: usman_fool@hotmail.com

Postby rahil320 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:11 pm

there is a way to bypass this problem of 'motrolla modem not working under redhat 8 or 9'.Just follow the steps defined below to enjoy surfing under redhat linux 9(As I am enjoying).
First of all you must get the driver in the tarball format (you can get it from me. Just mail me).Then the most important ything is that you must know how to recompile the kernel , and if you know then recompile the kernel, BUT remeber in order to make your modem work you MUST enable all the PPP related things as modules. Then after recompile the kernel boot from that kernel , uncompress the tarball driver file , 'MAKE' the driver and then 'MAKE INSTALL' it.Now run the minicom and be happy to see the OK prompt.
NOTE : TO ENABLE PPP SUPPORT AS MODULES SEE THE 'NETWORING OPTIONS' LIST CAREFULLY, WHEN COMPILING THE KERNEL, SCROLL DOWN THE LIST , THERE YOU SEE 'PPP' , THE DEFAULT IS YES, CHANGE IT TO MODULE.

Rahil320@hotmail.com
rahil320
Naik

WLM: rahil320@hotmail.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:56 pm

In short, you just compiled the sm56 driver and all ppp related stuff as a module
This works for some users and doesnt work for some.BUt its worth trying it.

modules are loaded /unloaded from /etc/modules.conf file

WInmodems are crap anyway.Getiing a pci or isa based modem that is supported under linux is the best option.

But nice info.

rahil320 wrote:there is a way to bypass this problem of 'motrolla modem not working under redhat 8 or 9'.Just follow the steps defined below to enjoy surfing under redhat linux 9(As I am enjoying).
First of all you must get the driver in the tarball format (you can get it from me. Just mail me).Then the most important ything is that you must know how to recompile the kernel , and if you know then recompile the kernel, BUT remeber in order to make your modem work you MUST enable all the PPP related things as modules. Then after recompile the kernel boot from that kernel , uncompress the tarball driver file , 'MAKE' the driver and then 'MAKE INSTALL' it.Now run the minicom and be happy to see the OK prompt.
NOTE : TO ENABLE PPP SUPPORT AS MODULES SEE THE 'NETWORING OPTIONS' LIST CAREFULLY, WHEN COMPILING THE KERNEL, SCROLL DOWN THE LIST , THERE YOU SEE 'PPP' , THE DEFAULT IS YES, CHANGE IT TO MODULE.

Rahil320@hotmail.com
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby rahil320 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:29 pm

Yes faraz.fazil you are right , but this formula works for me, and at the time of typing this reply im on redhat linux 9 box with motorlla sm56 modem. :D
rahil320
Naik

WLM: rahil320@hotmail.com

modem problem

Postby Usmanj » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:39 am

I have installed SM 56 using rpm driver from drivers.com but now problem is it stop at initializing modem status in kppp while connecting to an ISP.
Can any body tell me what's the problem?
Usmanj
Cadet

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:18 pm

As already stated the sm56 driver will only work till rh 7.1

To make it work on Redhat 9 (and/or) with kernel 2.4, you will have to recompile your kernel and compile all ppp stuff as module

Also you may have to install from .tar.gz sources instead of rpms, coz as a user using the same sm56 modem as yours, tried it and it worked.

SO,

1.Re compile your kernel and compile all ppp stuff as modules.
Modules are loaded/unloaded from /etc/modules.conf

2.Install the sm56 driver through sources.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby arpanet » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:48 am

ADAB..

Bhi ji plese tell the modem name compnay name and model that sport from pci /isa ?

RAB RAKAHA
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

WLM: allahlok@hotmail.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Arpanet, your question has already been answered in much detail in this post:"

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... =3092#3092

Donot post same question at two threads, when it has already been answered.

ALso make a habit, to read explanations carefully.

arpanet wrote:ADAB..

Bhi ji plese tell the modem name compnay name and model that sport from pci /isa ?

RAB RAKAHA
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby gh4z4nf4r » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:33 am

aoa,
arpanet you can buy an intel modem i.e intel 536ep it works fine.you will get the driver for linux in the cd . if not you can download it from the intel's site and the driver there for redhat works fine for me.

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... highlight=
http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... highlight=

allah hafiz.
gh4z4nf4r
Naik

WLM: gh4z4nf4r@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: gh4z4nf4r@yahoo.com

Postby arpanet » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:52 am

ADAB

I read them carefully and as i first post over her then i go to that thred :(
thnks 4 the corporation. :)

Faraz.Fazil wrote:Arpanet, your question has already been answered in much detail in this post:"

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... =3092#3092

Donot post same question at two threads, when it has already been answered.

ALso make a habit, to read explanations carefully.

arpanet wrote:ADAB..

RAB RAKAHA

RAB RAKAHA..
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

WLM: allahlok@hotmail.com

hmmmm

Postby farhanksa » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:15 am

salam

first of all .i have a q? did u studies data comm and networks???
if not then best alternative for modem is
1.External modem even of 33.6 or 28 kb (well i do use ANTIQUE 14.4 zoom modem when i am in mood :) )
2. then comes the ISA modem which fits in blach slot on mother board ...56kbps ISA modem is hard to find as the r not made these days..u have to find it second hand 33.6 ISA modem r vastly avaiulable....33.6 will do fulfil very welll pakistani requirment..but surely buy ISA modem which had commport and IRQ setting jumpers in it
3. then i suggest pci modem bcz they dont have good Signal to noise ratio handleer RElay any how u can go for intel HAM(ambient chipset mdoem but i dont know about their driver avalibility for all kernel versions)
***conexant and rockwell (HCF or HSF) r widely used my me they got driver for all availabel linux kernel versions
lucent and pctel r also available
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:39 am

Arpanet, since you have pci slots and not isa, therefore u can either buy a pci modem or an external one.As i explained before, external modems are generally more expensive than pci ones, and there is not much use of external modems from your perspective.Also they would require u to add an extra power supply to the modem and would connect to your pc via a cable / serial port.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” Installation