How To instal Drivers ?

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

How To instal Drivers ?

Postby arpanet » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:36 am

ADAB...

I am back again with some new porblems as last time i had how to instal linux now i did but as linux did not pic my vga drivers and modem drivers and i had modem and vga drivers but not know how to instal them and
garfical interface is also not looded jsut secrean is blinking.. now what to do ? give me some help...........
that mark me well ... waiting 4 the fast help as i get in
my earlay post ....

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=542

Regards..
ARPAnet.
RAB RAKAHA...
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

WLM: allahlok@hotmail.com

Postby newbie » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:16 am

ask in detail.
whats your vga driver or modem driver and in which form it is available?
whats your version of linux?
Company Havaldaar Major

WLM: usman_fool@hotmail.com

Postby arpanet » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:31 am

ADAB...
Modem drivers are in C filse and VGA drivers format not recognized by me and version is 7.3 and looking if not work with 7.3 will do 8.0 but VGA drivers are jsut 4 7.3 :oops:

RAB RAKAHA...
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:00 pm

Well, linux drivers are available in a variety of formats...and their installation depends on the format in which your manufacturer releases the driver.For instance my AGP video card manufacturer nvidia has the drivers in the form of a autorun files.You run the file, it extracts the files to a directory and starts the installation .sh script.It asks for a module path, and extracts the kernel module for the driver to the specified directory and makes that module the default for the X session.I then have to edit my /etc/X11/XF86Config file and include the modules "nvidia" line to load the AGP driver on startup.The editing is ony done once.

Now that was just an example.Different people and different manufacturers have different drivers for linux that have different install methods.The best place to determine how to install your drivers is to read the documenataion on it from the same place from where u got the drivers from.If you have difficulty doing so , then post the filenames of all the files that you have in the driver directory and also the formaT IN which they are.Also mention the exact make and model of your VGA and modem, so that we may be able to help you.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby arpanet » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:51 am

ADAB...
Yam i donwloded the drvier 4rm asus.com 4 my spacifc mother bord downloads saction but now the time being asus is give some kind of run time erro as it works back i will psot the link the size of driver is about 250kb so you downloded them and chek them and then tell me how to do get ride of the problem.. as now thw time being i am also strugling with widows due to thse worms and i think need to instal linux and windows again... :(

RAB RAKAHA...
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Postby newbie » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:12 am

in which form you have the drivers
normally you can have in
*.rpm or *.tar.gz *.bzip

so in which from you have downloaded

and post the link of the page here where from you are downloading drivers. because you are not going to tell anything in detail :lol:
Company Havaldaar Major

WLM: usman_fool@hotmail.com

Postby mrkkhattak » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:11 pm

Assalamualaikum,

Did u check if your hardware (modem & vga) is supported under RedHat 7.3/8.0 on their website ? If so what does they say ?

Which modem & vga card do u have ? maybe someone else on the forum is using them, he will be able to help you how to install that then :)

Regards,

-Meraj
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

WLM: mrkkhattak
Yahoo Messenger: mrkkhattak
AOL: mrkkhattak

Postby arpanet » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:43 am

ADAB

YAM ThE file fomate is zip after unzip fomat is not recognized and my vga sport it is sapcified vga drviers for linux redhad 7.3 asus.com
and about modem i am using intelv90 i have that driver too but not form oficail sit ... and also not know may it sport or not :( modem drivers are also in zip form ...

now any sugestions ...

RAB RAKAHA..
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:06 am

Well oh well.

For the modem issue., the INtel V90 modem is basically a winmodem.
Winmodems are cheap modems that are built specifically for windows, unlike isa or pci based modems.For this very reason, running winmodems with linux are not such a good idea and only a few winmodems work with linux.

For the v90 modem :
=======================================
Intel® V.90 modem chipset driver for Linux*

Intel® V.90 modem chipset driver for Linux (PCI). This driver supports Linux versions 2.2.12 to 2.2.18. This driver is not compatible with kernel version 2.4.X. Chipsets: MD563X and MD5628D.

File Name/Size:
r-333-5.tgz
442359 bytes
Download From:
U.S. FTP Server (Download within North America)
Mirror FTP Sites (Download from international areas)
U.S. Web Server (Available for byte serving)
==============================
Check http://developer.intel.com/design/modem ... -333-5.htm

for more info.

As already stated, the v90 modem driver only works with 2.2 kernel and not the 2.4 kernel.Therefore the chances are really slim to make it work.And keeping in view your level, i guess u may not be able to do the required tweaking to make it work.So i recommend u to buy a good pci or isa based modem that is compatible with linux.

For the vga issue, again u didnot mention the make and model of your vga/agp.So mention the make/model

For the driver format u said it was unrecognized.Come on the files must have some extension like a file1.C file etc.
So post the complete driver format as well and also post the link from where u downloaded the drivers, so u may be able to obtain more help.

The better communication skills u have, the more better are the chances of getting help.

But posting crappy/incomplete questions with incomplete info and hoping for a good reply is impossible.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

r not inte-modem v.92?

Postby farhanksa » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:34 am

r not inte-modem v.92? or v.90?
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby arpanet » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:04 am

ADAB...

well faraz sahb i tell that fist format is zip but after unzping i did not know that is not c files that is clear to me and i got the driver 4rm asus.com and
url to see the web page on whic download link and small discription abot copatibiliy is give ...
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download ... ype=Latest
driver 4 sis650 is give is on the last just befor end of page...

url is 4 direct download...
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download ... ip~zaqwedc

File Size 184.98 (KBytes)

vga is sis650gl now tell me what shuld to da and now i thing Question is compleat and last nigh i get the linux 9 and by chance cd is linux pakistan but whil instaling linux it hage my system 4 times i did not know y and first time i instal when half pakges intal the system is hagend then restart the system then it hangend system on bios then again when just 80 pages left out of 532 system is again hacged and on rebote again on bios i did not know what is wrong is it with cd or is it with system now i will try again in moring but the linux make me had and get alot out of me..
while instaling it and let see i get the new modem that is copatiable then what to do and how to make inter net conction in linux and what is
2.2/ 2.0 and 2.4 and i think its kernal version and which one is in 7.3 and 8 and 9 ...

RAB RAKAHA...
arpanet
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:02 pm

Well for the modem, i already told you that since u got a winmodem and keeping in view your level, you will not be able to get ur winmodem to work in linux unless u do some kludging, which u will not be able to do.

I downloaded that vga driver of yours and unpacked it.
Now there are two files:

1. sis_drv.o-410 is for X server 4.1.0 (Redhat 7.2)
2. sis_drv.0-402 is for X server 4.0.2 (Redhat 7.0)

Therefore , the driver may or may not work with your redhat 9 with newer version of Xserver.

Anywayz to install the driver do this:

I assume u are doing the downloading in windows.

So Download the zip file.and extract the files to a floppy.
Also download the editor joe's rpm install file to the floppy

ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0 ... 4.i386.rpm

You should have these files on the floppy:

sis_drv.0-410
sis_drv-0.402
joe-2.9.8-4.i386.rpm

Once u have the vga driver files extracted to the floppy and also the joe rpm file on the floppy, boot to linux.

1.In terminal, mount the floppy drive by:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

cd /mnt/floppy

ls -l

You will see the files on floppy.

2. cp sis_drv.o-410 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/sis_drv.o

now install the joe rpm by:

rpm -Uvh joe-2.9.8-4.i386.rpm

Now edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file through joe by the command:

joe /etc/X11/XF86Config

make sure the /etc/X11/XF86Config file have the correct "driver" section.
Driver "sis"

To do this , look at the Device setion of videocard.It should look like

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "sis"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
EndSection

To edit the file, you can also use emacs, vim or.But joe is the easiest to use for total newbies like you.Joe is not included by default in rh9.Thats why i made u download it as well.
If u cant use joe, then use emacs or vim instead.

once ur driver is installed, type startx to start x windows.

You could also haved accessed the files directly from the hdd instead of the floppy.But i explained u the floppy method coz u would not have understood the mount commands

Im sorry to say, but i think you may not be able to follow these simple steps as well.

Be thankful to those who help you.

These days no one bothers to download files for you, unpack them and spend loads of time giving you install instructions

Good luck!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

How To instal Drivers ?

Postby mahin » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:28 pm

Faraz.Fazil wrote: <snip>
I downloaded that vga driver of yours and unpacked it.
<snip>
Be thankful to those who help you.

These days no one bothers to download files for you, unpack them and spend loads of time giving you install instructions

Good luck!

Some one we know do bothers :wink: now all we need is to request him to add this to Wiki :)

Great Work :!: Thanks
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

Postby arpanet » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:33 am

ADAB...

thnaks 4 the help borooooo

now whats about the modem ????

WEll bro y did u think so that i can not able to do so i did drviers before you instruction just by reading redme.txt

i am not able to do just because i am not able to instal linux 4rm last many days to i did also did the drivers and now the
problem is just with the modem now give me some tips about that and nave thing so i can not do it lolz i did 4 to 5 days just to instal linux y it hang my system that all make me sick that y i am little hasitata...
now its ok

as u check my avgater that is looks like a divel and divel can do any thing but not last log.. but i am like not the dam divel hehehe

RAB RAKAHA....
{s7r1k3r}

Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:29 am

Well for the modem, try using the driver i mentioned in my earlier post. (the .tar.gz file)

If it works ok, otherwise try recompiling your kernel, and compile all ppp related stuff as module.Then load all the required modules through /etc/modules.conf

If that does not work, then you may have to do some kludging.

It may well be that your v90 winmodem does not work under linux at all...due to the simpla fact that most winmodems dont work under linux, since winmodems are not true modems.

The best option is to buy a good isa or pci modem that is supported under linux.GOod modems arent that expensive these dayz after all.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” Installation