Problem installing newer version of glib from source .

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

Problem installing newer version of glib from source .

Postby rahil320 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:39 pm

ASSALAM O ALAIKUM TO ALL LINIZENS (LINUX CITIZENS)
I HAVE A PROBLEN INSTALLING NEWER VERSION OF 'glib' FROM SOURCE FILES. I HAVE REDHAT LINUX9 WITH 'glib-1.2.10', NOW I WANT TO UPGARADE IT TO 'glib-2.2'. THE PAKAGE IS IN THE FORM OF SOURCE FILE AND I WONT GET THE RPM VERSION. WHAT IS THE WAY OF INSTALLING 'glib' FROM SOURCE FILE??
1) SHOULD I FIRST UNINSTALL THE OLDER VERSION OF 'glib' WHICH COMES WITH THE DISTRIBUTION? OR
2) SHOULD I DIRECT BUILD THE PAKAGE FROM SOURCE FILES AND 'make install' IT WITHOUT REMOVING THE OLDER PAKAGE?
PLEASE HELP ME..... :(
rahil320
Naik

WLM: rahil320@hotmail.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:14 pm

Apps for linux are available in two forms:

1.Sources....normally in compressed .tar.gz or bz2 format
Basically you compile the sources on your system using the make commands.So sources can be installed on any distro.But it has many drawbacks which i have explained later

2.Distros's proprietary format.

You all know these.Like rpm files in redhat and mandrake and .deb files in debian etc
These can only be installed on their respective distro.But they can be installed very quickly effeciently and without much effort.But there main problem is availablity

Well.
I always recommend installing rpms over sources, if the rpms are available.

Compiling sources takes a hell of time in some cases, and is a cumbersome process, although a few simple commands are involved.But the thing is since you compile all the scripts so it takes a lot of time compared to rpms and many errors often arise as well.

Who said glibc's new version is not available in rpm format?
It is indeed available.

Check www.rpmfind.net and search with query glibc

It will show u the availbale rpms.Download of your choice.

Install by rpm -Uvh rpmname command

If you still attempt to go for the source method, all you have to do is to unpack the source, goto the directory and use these commands:

./configure
make
make install

check the readme file for exact commands as they may vary.
It may seem that installing sources is easy.But it is very time consuming some times and one may get loads of errors.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby cwackked » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:56 am

hello,
if youre upgrading from 1.2 - 2.2, Im assuming you have an old version of the kernel that needs to be upgraded. Try this..
go to ftp.kernel.org
get the new kernel, save it in usr/src...the instructions to compile the new kernel are very simple and you can google for them, or come back here :) then try installing glib.
some more reminders...
did you update ld
updatedb
after the installation
good luck
-omer
-umer
cwackked
Lance Naik

WLM: cwackked@hotmail.com

Return to “%s” Installation