HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server series Installation

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server series Installation

Postby syed » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:21 pm

AOA 2 All,

I am first time trying to install Linux on a real time server. so I faced some problems, therefore I could not succeed in my task. first i dont know weather same procedure which we use to install Linux on normal desktop server is used or special one. any way i tried to install linux on HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server but it did not detect hard disks, so is there any special way to configure harddisk ( Arrays) in server products.

So any one who knows solution is requested to guide me so that I may complete my task successfully.

Regards,

Syed Mohammad Raza
syed
Subedar Major

Postby compucated » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:42 am

You have to download HP SmartStart bootable CD to configure array.
visit http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/serv ... index.html for more info.
compucated
Naik

WLM: compucated(at)msn(dot)com
Yahoo Messenger: activatedpower(at)yahoo(dot)com

Postby ather_36 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:05 am

Salam Syed,
First see this page http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files ... g=en&cc=us
The above link is the list of Supported OS in HP DL360 G5.After confirming that Just Power On the System and see the information in the Post of System.When u see the HP SMART ARRAY CONTROLLER information in the Post of the system then Press F8.After Pressing F8 u see a New menu will be open in Blue Screen.Here U find three option Create ,View and Delete the logical Drive.Select the Create Logical Drive and Press Enter U see a new menu and here u see ur Hard Drives.Now u have to select which type of RAID u have to create.If u only One HDD,Defaultly the system creates Raid 0 by itself.If u 2 HDD u create Raid 1 or more than 2 than its depend either u create Raid 1 or Raid 5.Creating Raid Array or Logical drive is a simple method in HP as compare to IBM.After pressing F8 when Smart Array prompt U see the information below the screen.After creating logical drive reboot the system.
Note 1: Installation of Linux in HP Server is not supported with HP Smart Start CDs cuz Linux is smart and By default its pick all the Driver.You have to manually boot the system with OS CD..
Note 2 : If u r using RHEL 3 or RHEL 4 please use the latest updated verion of the RHEL 3 or 4.It will pick the Driver automatically.Otherwise u will have to install the Driver with Linux dd command when the installation start before Pressing ENTER type linux dd and the driver image is avaliable at the above link in the Software - Driver Diskettes[b]
I m sure my post will help u Inshallah.Any help required just go to the hp official forum www.itrc.hp.com or call ur hardware vendor at last.

Just Dua for me.
Thanks & Regards
Athar Hussain
ather_36
Naik

WLM: ather_36@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: ather_36@yahoo.com

ok

Postby syed » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:56 pm

Dear Athar and Compucated thanks for your kind response, but let me assure that will this server allow to install fedora on it ?

I want to test fedora on this server for testing purpose.

Hope you all be fine & fit.

Regards

Syed Mohammad Raza
syed
Subedar Major

ok

Postby syed » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:19 pm

A.A

Dear Athar I have followed your instructions and reached blue screen of creating RIAD Array but still not installed linux becacuse I have to confrim few things such as one mentioned earlier that Can I install Linux /Fedora 4 and Which RIAD Level should I choose because we have Three Hard dikd in the server. Last but not least that I am going to test DHCP server on this server for 500-600 clients so will it run DHCP smoothly or it will create problems.

In the End I must say thanks to you for your kind help for me.
May Allah Almighty multiply your knwoledge.

Syed Mohammad Raza
syed
Subedar Major

Postby ather_36 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:15 pm

Salam Syed
Will u tell me what is the hard disk type u have? is this SATA or SAS or SCSI?If u dont mind will u call me on Tuesday any time.Inshallah I will try to resolve ur problem.
Thanks & Regards
0333-2457207
Thanks & Regards
Athar Hussain
ather_36
Naik

ok

Postby syed » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:28 pm

Ok Great man I will call U soon.

Regards

Jazak-Aallah
Syed Mohammad Raza
syed
Subedar Major

Postby lambda » Tue May 01, 2007 1:03 am

that's all it'll do? run dhcp? you could probably use an old athlon or 1ghz pentium iii for that task!

in any case, i recommend avoiding hardware raid controllers and just creating a raid-1 (mirror) in the installer and using that. i don't know if you can see the drives if you turn off hardware raid or not.
lambda
Major General

Dear Lamda

Postby ather_36 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:42 am

Hardware Raid is more Stable than Software Raid.Specially in this Server Series Hardware Raid is embedded and by default Hard drives are attach to it.
Thanks & Regards

Athar Hussain
ather_36
Naik

Re: Dear Lamda

Postby lambda » Tue May 01, 2007 1:58 pm

ather_36 wrote:Hardware Raid is more Stable than Software Raid.Specially in this Server Series Hardware Raid is embedded and by default Hard drives are attach to it.
i don't believe you. prove it!
lambda
Major General

A.A

Postby syed » Thu May 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Dear All A.A,

I have created logical array controller with RAID-5, then inserted FC4 disk1 in cd-rom, after system boots it started to load hardware but at option "loading sbin loader" it is stopped and constantly staying at this option. So Please guide me what can be the problem.

Regards,

Syed Mohammd Raza
syed
Subedar Major

Postby lambda » Thu May 03, 2007 6:33 pm

have you tried something newer? maybe something newer will work.

fc4 support is going away (it's supported by fedora core legacy, not by redhat any longer). at the very least, you should try fc6 or ubuntu server.
lambda
Major General

Re: A.A

Postby mahin_pk » Thu May 03, 2007 7:54 pm

syed wrote:So Please guide me what can be the problem.

If you are going to try did you checked Slackware 11.0 [ for test only ] just to see it works on this box or use either of the one as suggested by lambda
mahin_pk
Site Admin

ok

Postby syed » Fri May 04, 2007 8:35 am

A.A 2 ALL,

Thanks for advise but this is an other matter that why system does not install fc4. One improvement is that it passed from sbin loader option but after it prompted with " No hard disk found" and there are three SATA hardisks installed. Some body told u have to install sata drivers manually. I downloaded storage drivers from hp site but they were in rpm format so is it possible to install rpm extension file drivers before linux installation.

Regards,

Syed Mohammad Raza
syed
Subedar Major

Ok

Postby syed » Fri May 11, 2007 11:16 am

A.A 2 All,

Nobody has given response me for my last post , please if u know any thing then guide me ahead. In fact my server has SATA drive. Is this problem due to SATA disk drive?

Syed Mohammad Raza
syed
Subedar Major

Return to “%s” Installation