Bingo: Lucent v.92 dualchipset hardw modem now works great!

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

Postby outstream » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:28 pm

AoA

Mr Faraz.Fazil sir

i think ur pretty right that modules r not loading and its not there

either in /etc/modules.conf, but sir i showed u the run time screen

shots while i was configuring ppp after make xconfig and it seemed i

did it all fine, i checked all things related to ppp as "m" and u

saw it too. i dont know where the problem is comming from.

yeah i remember i did that make modules and make modules_install

part too. i took the print out of instructions given by u and i went

step by step executing all commands. after that make xconfig, i did

make dep then make clean then make modules then make modules_install

and then make bzImage, every thing seems right on the way.

ok as u have mentioned i typed pppd in terminal and nothing happened
here is the output

--------------------------

[root@localhost root]# pppd
[root@localhost root]#

i remember when i was doing make modules or make modules_install, it

said something like "creating modules ppp_generic.c", so i tried

locating it

[root@localhost linux]# locate ppp

after executing that locate command, i got a long list of things

related to ppp, and in those things there was sumthing as ipppd,

then i ran ipppd in terminal and here is what it said

----------------------
[root@localhost linux]# ipppd
Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support.
Check whether you

configured at least the ippp0 device!
----------------------

system lacks ppp?...but i remember i checked it as modules...i still

have the screen shots...i dont know whats happening around...would u

recommend me doing that make xconfig again and this time configuring

all ppp related stuff as "y" instead of "m"..?

Thanks for ur precious time

Good Day
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:40 pm

Hey hold on a second..
I think i caught you.
Did u enable loadable modules support in the kernel??
If not, then the modules will not work.

Oki....

You can now try these out:

1.Try a loose combination of insert module and module probe commands.
insmod is used to insert modules and modprobe is used to probe/load modules in /etc/modules.conf also try a depmod -a

Try locating any available ppp modules.

Then try an insmod modulename or modprobe name commands

2.Make sure and verify your kernel has loadable modules support and that u selected each and every ppp related option during the kernel recompile

2.I assume u didnt try the ltmodem rpm for 2.4.22 kernel.
Goto the link i mentioned before and download the version for 2.4.22 kernel.Install it and check it out.

3.If the above does not work, download the ltmodem stuff in .tar.gz format and compile it...See if it works.Download from the same location

4.If the above dont work, then recompile the kernel again and this time include all ppp support built right into the kernel.Since u are a newbie, enable each and every ppp related stuff esp ppp_generic and ppp_deflate

5.If all of the above dont work, then recompile the kernel again and include ppp support yet once again in module form.Select each and every ppp related option and set it to modules

Which every option u choose, make sure u select each and every ppp related option especially ppp_generic and ppp_deflate..i repeat review all the available options during the xconfig very very carefully.Set each option after careful review...even if its not in the networking section.
OPtions like loadable module support and i2c_dev are not in networking section, yet really have a great effect on such problems.

ALso the screenshots u showed were only of the networking section.May be u missed some important options like loadable module support and others like those.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby outstream » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:34 am

AoA
mr Faraz.Fazil sir

sir ji subsey pehlay tow yeah u r right, i couldnt try that new modem rpm`s for new kernel. the link u sent me in that there were no lt modem drivers for kernel 2.4.22, i think there were just upgradation of drivers with respect to upgradation in kernel. for example there were drivers for kernel 2.4.20-8-8 and kernel 2.4.20-9-8....its the same kernel 2.4.20, i didnt find any for kernel 2.4.22. so right now my machine has only drivers of kernel 2.4.20-8 , i.e the default kernel in my rh9.

okay now lets move to another thing... the ppp and kernel compilation stuff. i tried depmod -a and nothing happened. it just took me to another new line where cursor was again blinking.

anyways i have got the good idea about the instructions u have given me. i think i should recompile kernel and this time i`ll take screen shots of every changes that i`ll make into kernel configuration and then i`ll post any messages, outputs or links of screen shots here.

Good Day

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby outstream » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:38 am

and yeah sorry i forgot to tell u something else...i have downloaded drivers in source format as a .tar.gz file....i`ll try them too...i think i should try them first before trying the rpm drivers...i`ll keep on upgrading u about the outputs

Good Day

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:28 pm

Good luck dude

I always like people who really make an effort and try very hard to solve their problems and listen carefully to instructions.

As they say: Hard work really pays of.
Hard work leads to success.

Good luck again and keep updated!
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby outstream » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:49 pm

AoA
mr Faraz.Fazil sir

Sir jiii...kuch nehin hoyaaa :(.....i tried compiling kernel again and did all that u said...infact it took me 3 hours to compile a kernel, just because i kept on writing down every step in kernel configuration. this time its a long long post from me....here goes alll that i did with kernel

================================
Kernel configuration after 'make xconfig' command

1.Code maturity and level options: no changes made

2. Loadable module support : no changes made (screen shots can be seen at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/imransalim2 ---> configuring kernel --> loadable_modules_support.jpg

3.Processor type and features: no changes made

4.General setup: no changes made

5.Memory technology devices: no changes made

6.Parallel port support :

changed parallel port support to "m"

changed pc-style hardware to "m"

changed IEEE 1284 transfer mode to "y".

7.Plug&play configuration : no changes made

8.Block devices: no changes made

9.Multi device support (RAID and LVM): no changes made

10. Networking options: no changes made (screen shots can be seen at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/imransalim2 ---> configuring kernel ---> networking_optionsx.jpg , x= 1 to 4)

11.Telephony support : no changes made

12.ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support : no changes made

13. SCSI support:

changed SCSI cd-rom support to "m"

14.Fusion MPT device support : no changes made

15. I2O device support: no changes made

16.Network device support:
changed ppp support to "m"
[b]changed ppp support for async serial modes to "m"

changed ppp support for sync tty ports to "m" changed ppp deflate compression to "m"
changed ppp bsd-compress compression to "m"Note: ppp multi link support (experimental) and ppp filtering were faded, couldnt set them to "y", "m" or "n"

(screen shots can be seen at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/imransalim2 --> configuring kernel --> network_device_support.jpg , there are 3 different screen shots of network device support)

17.Amateur radio support : no changes made

18. IrDA (infrared support): no changes made

19. ISDN subsystem : no changes made

20. Old cd-rom drivers :
changed support non scsi/ide/atapi cd-rom drivers to "y"
changed sony cd-rom support to "m"
Note: as i am having sony cd-rom thats why i did it

21.Input core support : no changes made

22.Character devices : no changes made (as the screen shot was so big, thats y i couldnt show it)

23.Multi media devices: no changes made

24.File systems:
changed kernel auto mounter support to "y"
changed DOS fs support to "y"
changed MS-DOS fs support to "y"
changed VFAT ( Windows-95) fs support to "y"
(as the whole screen shot of file systems was too big, so i am only showing the screen shots of the changes i have made )

(screen shots can be seen at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/imransalim2 ---> configuring kernel --> filesystems1.jpg and filesystems.jpg)

25. Console drivers : no changes made

26. Sound : no changes made

27.USB support : no changes made

28.Blue tooth support: no changes made

29. kernel hacking: no changes made

30. cryptographic options: no changes made

31. library routines : no changes made.

========================================================
output after 'make modules' command (Note: I have done all ppp related outputs as bold and underlined so that u can see them easily and u dont have to find where is ppp related module stuff)
========================================================
[root@localhost linux]# make modules
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/split-include
scripts/split-include.c
scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
make -C kernel CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/kernel'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/kernel'
make -C drivers CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers'
make -C block modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/block'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `modules'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/block'
make -C cdrom modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/cdrom'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=cdu31a -c -o cdu31a.o cdu31a.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sonycd535 -c -o sonycd535.o sonycd535.c
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/cdrom'
make -C char modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char'
make -C drm modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/drm'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `modules'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/drm'
make -C pcmcia modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/pcmcia'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/pcmcia'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char'
make -C hotplug modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/hotplug'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/hotplug'
make -C ide modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide'
make -C arm modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/arm'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/arm'
make -C legacy modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/legacy'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/legacy'
make -C pci modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/pci'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/pci'
make -C ppc modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/ppc'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/ppc'
make -C raid modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/raid'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/raid'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide'
make -C media modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media'
make -C radio modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/radio'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/radio'
make -C video modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/video'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/video'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media'
make -C misc modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/misc'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/misc'
make -C net modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ppp_generic -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c ppp_generic.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=slhc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c slhc.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ppp_async -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c ppp_async.c
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ppp_synctty -c -o ppp_synctty.o ppp_synctty.c
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ppp_deflate -c -o ppp_deflate.o ppp_deflate.c
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=bsd_comp -c -o bsd_comp.o bsd_comp.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=slip -c -o slip.o slip.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=dummy -c -o dummy.o dummy.c
make -C pcmcia modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net/pcmcia'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net/pcmcia'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net'
make -C parport modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/parport'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=share -c -o share.o share.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ieee1284 -c -o ieee1284.o ieee1284.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ieee1284_ops -c -o ieee1284_ops.o ieee1284_ops.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=init -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c init.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=procfs -c -o procfs.o procfs.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=daisy -c -o daisy.o daisy.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=probe -c -o probe.o probe.c
ld -m elf_i386 -r -o parport.o share.o ieee1284.o ieee1284_ops.o init.o procfs.o daisy.o probe.o
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=parport_pc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c parport_pc.c
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/parport'
make -C pnp modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/pnp'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/pnp'
make -C scsi modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sr -c -o sr.o sr.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sr_ioctl -c -o sr_ioctl.o sr_ioctl.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sr_vendor -c -o sr_vendor.o sr_vendor.c
ld -m elf_i386 -r -o sr_mod.o sr.o sr_ioctl.o sr_vendor.o
make -C pcmcia modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi/pcmcia'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi/pcmcia'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi'
make -C sound modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/sound'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/sound'
make -C usb modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb'
make -C host modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb/host'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb/host'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb'
make -C video modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/video'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/video'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers'
make -C mm CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/mm'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/mm'
make -C fs CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs'
make -C nls modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs/nls'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs/nls'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs'
make -C net CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net'
make -C core modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/core'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/core'
make -C ipv4 modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/ipv4'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/ipv4'
make -C netlink modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/netlink'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/netlink'
make -C sched modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/sched'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/sched'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net'
make -C ipc CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/ipc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/ipc'

make -C lib CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib'
make -C zlib_deflate modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_deflate'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_deflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=deflate -c -o deflate.o deflate.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_deflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=deftree -c -o deftree.o deftree.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_deflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=deflate_syms -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c deflate_syms.c
rm -f zlib_deflate.o
ld -m elf_i386 -r -o zlib_deflate.o deflate.o deftree.o deflate_syms.o
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_deflate'
make -C zlib_inflate modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=infblock -c -o infblock.o infblock.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=infcodes -c -o infcodes.o infcodes.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=inffast -c -o inffast.o inffast.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=inflate -c -o inflate.o inflate.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=inftrees -c -o inftrees.o inftrees.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=infutil -c -o infutil.o infutil.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=inflate_syms -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c inflate_syms.c
rm -f zlib_inflate.o
ld -m elf_i386 -r -o zlib_inflate.o infblock.o infcodes.o inffast.o inflate.o inftrees.o infutil.o inflate_syms.o
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib'
make -C crypto CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/crypto'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/crypto'
make -C arch/i386/kernel CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/kernel'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/kernel'
make -C arch/i386/mm CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/mm'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/mm'
make -C arch/i386/lib CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modversions.h" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/lib'
[root@localhost linux]#

=====================================================
output of 'make modules_install' command
======================================================
[root@localhost linux]# make modules_install
make -C kernel modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/kernel'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules_install'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/kernel'
make -C drivers modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers'
make -C block modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/block'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `modules_install'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/block'
make -C cdrom modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/cdrom'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/cdrom/
cp cdu31a.o sonycd535.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/cdrom/
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/cdrom'
make -C char modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char'
make -C drm modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/drm'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `modules_install'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/drm'
make -C pcmcia modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/pcmcia'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char/pcmcia'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/char'
make -C hotplug modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/hotplug'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/hotplug'
make -C ide modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide'
make -C arm modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/arm'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/arm'
make -C legacy modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/legacy'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/legacy'
make -C pci modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/pci'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/pci'
make -C ppc modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/ppc'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/ppc'
make -C raid modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/raid'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide/raid'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/ide'
make -C media modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media'
make -C radio modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/radio'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/radio'
make -C video modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/video'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media/video'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/media'
make -C misc modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/misc'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/misc'
make -C net modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/
cp bsd_comp.o dummy.o ppp_async.o ppp_deflate.o ppp_generic.o ppp_synctty.o slhc.o slip.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net/pcmcia'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net/pcmcia'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net'
make -C parport modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/parport'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/parport/
cp parport.o parport_pc.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/parport/
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/parport'
make -C pnp modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/pnp'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/pnp'
make -C scsi modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/scsi/
cp sr_mod.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/scsi/
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi/pcmcia'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi/pcmcia'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/scsi'
make -C sound modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/sound'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/sound'
make -C usb modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb'
make -C host modules_install
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb/host'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb/host'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb'
make -C video modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/video'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/video'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers'
make -C mm modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/mm'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/mm'
make -C fs modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs'
make -C nls modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs/nls'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs/nls'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs'
make -C net modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net'
make -C core modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/core'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/core'
make -C ipv4 modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/ipv4'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/ipv4'
make -C netlink modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/netlink'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/netlink'
make -C sched modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/sched'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net/sched'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/net'
make -C ipc modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/ipc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/ipc'
make -C lib modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib'
make -C zlib_deflate modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_deflate'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/lib/zlib_deflate/
cp zlib_deflate.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/lib/zlib_deflate/
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_deflate'
make -C zlib_inflate modules_install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/lib/zlib_inflate/
cp zlib_inflate.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/lib/zlib_inflate/
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib/zlib_inflate'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/lib'
make -C crypto modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/crypto'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/crypto'
make -C arch/i386/kernel modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/kernel'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/kernel'
make -C arch/i386/mm modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/mm'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/mm'
make -C arch/i386/lib modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/lib'
cd /lib/modules/2.4.22; \
mkdir -p pcmcia; \
find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.22; fi
[root@localhost linux]#

----------------------------------------------
also the /etc/modules.conf has same enteries as before, the only change that i can see is because of including supports for scsi cd rom and via chipset supports..output goes here
=========================================
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

# lt_drivers: autoloading and insertion parameter usage
alias char-major-62 lt_serial
alias /dev/tts/LT0 lt_serial
alias /dev/modem lt_serial
# The next two lines are syntax examples, only Rarely Needed, to automate parameter usage during lt_drivers insertion. See documentation for details.
# options lt_modem vendor_id=0x115d device_id=0x0420
# options lt_modem Forced=3,0x130,0x2f8,0
# section for lt_drivers ends
==================================

but this time when i ran the command pppd in terminal, i got some output..i couldnt understand it..may be u can

===============================

[root@localhost root]# pppd
~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} }
} } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~~?}#?!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&?&u}=}'}"}(}"S?~[root@localhost root]#

i hope to get some good guide lines from u again

Good Day

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:06 am

Ok, So , in the latest step, u recompiled the kernel yet again and tried including ppp support in form of modules, but u did not try that tar.gz file for ltmodem.

First of all, you posted some but not all the options u selected in make xconfig.
Also note that during the xconfig part, you have an option to save the configuration to a file on your hdd..so that u can use it later to load the settings the next time u recompile and can edit only the settings u wish to change on the fly.

So from now on, when u recompile the kernel , during the xconfig part, do all the configuration and then before exitting, save the settings to a file using the save settings to file feature.enter any filename like /root/xconfigsettings.datetime etc etc

Then instead of posting all the configuration u did manually here in the post for me to see, u can just send me that save config file that u created.This way it will be lot easier for you and this will also show all the options u selected.Also the next time u recompile the kernel, u can direcly load all ur customized config in xconfig directly from that saved file and can edit only the new settings required.

NOw try these:

1.As a first step , try giving these commands in terminal:

insmod ppp_generic
insmod ppp_deflate
insmod ppp_async
insmod ppp_synctty
insmod slip

also try doing modprobe with the above e.g modprobe ppp_generic etc
then depmod -a

check to see if it makes any difference

(Also do a lsmod to see module listing)
(insmod and modprobe are used to insert/load modules)

2.If above does not work, then try that .tar.gz file out.

Extract it by using the tar -xzf filename.tar.gz command and then compile it as explained earlier.

Try and check if it works.

3.For the kernel recompile, i think u have already tried it many times..including trying ppp built directly into the kernel and also trying ppp in modules.SO there would be no use in trying it again, although u can, coz i do think u may still be doing some configuration wrong.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby outstream » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:14 pm

AoA

Mr Faraz.Fazil sir

Again i did it all that u said and i think it doesnt loads for inserts modules...well lets go step by step according to ur instructions.
first of all
=========================
insmode ppp_generic shows this
=========================

[root@localhost root]# insmod ppp_generic
Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o: unresolved symbol slhc_uncompress_Rsmp_3bc1319e
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o: unresolved symbol slhc_remember_Rsmp_0bc55868
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o: unresolved symbol slhc_free_Rsmp_2894cfb0
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o: unresolved symbol slhc_init_Rsmp_2e0e927f
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o: unresolved symbol slhc_compress_Rsmp_76135e6c
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o: unresolved symbol slhc_toss_Rsmp_f89e3455

now insmod ppp_deflate shows this

====================================

Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_deflate_workspacesize_Rsmp_f0caf44b
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol ppp_register_compressor_Rsmp_9682e733
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_inflate_workspacesize_Rsmp_ce5ac24f
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_inflateReset_Rsmp_ef76d642
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_inflateEnd_Rsmp_9ef45f92
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_inflate_Rsmp_64cf8602
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_deflateReset_Rsmp_8abb5b63
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_deflateInit2__Rsmp_262f9b2a
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_inflateInit2__Rsmp_5d3b34e2
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_deflateEnd_Rsmp_cd8db61d
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol ppp_unregister_compressor_Rsmp_a1b928df
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_inflateIncomp_Rsmp_b5058135
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o: unresolved symbol zlib_deflate_Rsmp_28c35bd1
====================================================

then insmod ppp_async shows this

[root@localhost root]# insmod ppp_async
Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o: unresolved symbol ppp_register_channel_Rsmp_390cc102
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o: unresolved symbol ppp_output_wakeup_Rsmp_59c12a8a
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o: unresolved symbol ppp_input_error_Rsmp_56f1ea85
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o: unresolved symbol ppp_unregister_channel_Rsmp_0823ced0
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o: unresolved symbol ppp_unit_number_Rsmp_339b0e15
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o: unresolved symbol ppp_channel_index_Rsmp_1e014941
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o: unresolved symbol ppp_input_Rsmp_5ba855cb

then insmod ppp_synctty shows this

[root@localhost root]# insmod ppp_synctty
Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o: unresolved symbol ppp_register_channel_Rsmp_390cc102
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o: unresolved symbol ppp_output_wakeup_Rsmp_59c12a8a
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o: unresolved symbol ppp_input_error_Rsmp_56f1ea85
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o: unresolved symbol ppp_unregister_channel_Rsmp_0823ced0
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o: unresolved symbol ppp_unit_number_Rsmp_339b0e15
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o: unresolved symbol ppp_channel_index_Rsmp_1e014941
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o: unresolved symbol ppp_input_Rsmp_5ba855cb

and finally insmod ppp_slip shows something
===================================================
[root@localhost root]# insmod slip
Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/slip.o

===================================================

Now moving to the next step of instructions, i.e , to do modprobe ppp_generic etc etc...it didnt do any thing..it just took me to next empty line with blinking cursor

===============================================

[root@localhost root]# modprobe ppp_generic
[root@localhost root]#
[root@localhost root]# modprobe ppp_deflate
[root@localhost root]#
[root@localhost root]# modprobe ppp_async
[root@localhost root]#
[root@localhost root]# modprobe ppp_synctty
[root@localhost root]#
[root@localhost root]# modprobe ppp_slip
modprobe: Can't locate module ppp_slip
[root@localhost root]#

==============================================

now if we move to third part of instructions, i.e , depmod -a..it also goes the same way as modprob went

[root@localhost root]# depmod -a
[root@localhost root]#

=============================================

now lets move to step 4, using that modem.tar.gz file, i did it the way mr farhanksa told me to do in his reply of the post and it didnt work that way....here it goes

[root@localhost root]# gunzip ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz
[root@localhost root]# tar -xvf ltmodem-8.26a9.tar
ltmodem-8.26a9/
ltmodem-8.26a9/1ST-READ
ltmodem-8.26a9/build_module
ltmodem-8.26a9/build_rpm
ltmodem-8.26a9/build_deb
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/BIOSaccess.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Build_deb.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Build_rpm
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/CREDITS
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Compile_properly.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Country_codes
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/DeviceFileSystem.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Examples
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/FileList.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Flavor.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/ForNewbies
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Insert-param.html
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Insert-param4.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/LAN_ppp_DNS
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/LastAdvice
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Ltmodem.html
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/NoEC.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/No_DialTone
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Options.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Resources.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/SMP.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Server_issues
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Suse_permissions
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/Tainted.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/andreas.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/build_rpm.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/chatscript.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/conf-report.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/fixscript.man
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/fixscript.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/gcc3.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/linmodem-howto-all.html
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/lt_autoload.man
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/lt_checkout.man
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/modem600.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/modem822.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/post-install.html
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/scanmodem.man
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/slackware
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/srcprep.man
ltmodem-8.26a9/DOCs/wvdial.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/CountryCode.tcl
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/checkout
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/fixscript
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/ksp.sh
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/lt_autoload
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/lt_checkout
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/ltrename
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/noisefix
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/scanPCI
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/scanmodem
ltmodem-8.26a9/utils/unloading
ltmodem-8.26a9/scanmodem
ltmodem-8.26a9/FileList.txt
ltmodem-8.26a9/source.tar.gz
[root@localhost root]# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
[root@localhost root]#

==========================================================

then i went to lomodem-8.26ap directory made after extracting the .tar.gz file. There i saw some read me file and it said to type ./build_module and then if ./build_module goes successfull then next try ./ltinst2 and finally after that ./autoload....after doing ./autoload when i ran kppp and tried querying modem, to my surprise it worked and detected and queried it 100% and then gave me a dialogue box...and GUESS WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....when i dialed out i got connected and wooooooooooooooooo i am posting this thing right now using Linux :D...thanks a bunchhhhhhhhhhh budyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...u had been really helpful to me ....i cannot tell u how much happy i am right nowwwww...it was a dream to do www using linux and at this very moment...i am doing ittt :D

may God bless u all
thanks for all of ur posts and precious time

Good Day and take care

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:07 pm

Bingo man!
Wohoooooooooo!

FInally u have solved the problem and u have succesfully installed your modem and now u can succesfully use the net on linux.

Congrats man!

Just think of how much knowledge you have also gained as a side effect.
You have even learnt how to recompile your kernel and have also learnt many troubleshooting guidelines /tips

Now you have the modem working properly on the latest stable kernel available yet (2.4.22 released on sept 13 2k3)

So you see, hard work and patience really pay off!
I told u in the beginning , if u try hard and dont lose hope and show patience, u will indeed suceed...and that has happened.

Bingo , COngrats and well done again!
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby outstream » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:49 pm

AoA

First of all i would like to thank you again mr Faraz.Fazil sir...well yeah u r right, in this long processes, i learned alot..i mean can u think of a newbie..who has just installed linux and very next day he starts compiling new kernel :p...aur new kernel bhii compiling through source method and doing all the kernel configuration himself :p...lolzz...but it was great and i hope this 3 pages discussion of us will also be useful for future newbies like me who face any problems in installing lucent modem or in compiling kernel...

Thanks a lot again
May God bless u

Imran

outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:14 am

Np.
Anytime

Its a pleasure to help others.

Well done again!
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil