display problem in Red Hat 9

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
outstream
Naib Subedar

display problem in Red Hat 9

Post by outstream »

AoA

I am having some problem in my display settings here. At the time when i installed linux the only resolutions available were 800*600 or 600*480. At that time i selected 800*600.

Now i want to change it to 1024*768.
Now the problem is that when i go to
system settings --> display
it gives me options to select any resolution i want.After selecting 1024*768 and pressing ok it says

"You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take effect.Configuration was written to /etc/X11/XF86Config, original configuration saved as /etc/X11/XF86Config.backup."

ok fine after logging out and comming back, i see no changes there.
The resolution is still 800*600.
As it said in its message, i checked the file /etc/X11/XF86config, there was no entry of my new specified resolution, it was still 800*600 and 600*480 there and same entry was in /etc/X11/XF86config.backup.

At this point i manually changed the entry and saved it as 1024*768 and 800*600.
Again after rebooting there were no visual changes.
Again i went to
system settings --> display

and there it was showing 1024*768 it but was not really IMPLEMENTING the resolution visually on my desktop.

Note: Here i would like to mention that my mother board is some crap from Azza technologies with built-in sound card and built-in vga card.
By default my Red Hat 9 has picked up my sound card and it is showing it all well as " VIA AC`97 Audio Controller from VIA Technologies" But
its not showing my VGA card. On VGA it is detecting is as "Trident Cyberblade (Generic)", Whereas my VGA card is also from VIA technologies. In Windows it shows it to me like "VIA Tech VT8361/VT8601 Graphics Controller". And also i`m using IBM G54 monitor and it comes as unprobed monitor.

so do u guys think this display resolution problem is because my VGA and monitor are not configured?

Thanks for ur precious time

Good Day
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

First of all, not all cards support 1024 resolution.
First of all u need to check if your vga card and monitor support a resolution higher than 800 * 600

Most cards, esp , the old and builtin ones, offer support only upto 800 * 600

If u set the setting to 1024 and on reloging, it still shows 800 * 600 resolution then this means:

Either:

1.You vga card/monitor donot support 1024 resolution and u need to stick with 800 * 600 resolution...I think 800 * 600 resoution is optimal as well

or

2.The driver that is currently installed for your vga (generic) does not support 1024 resolutions, and may be a newer driver from an official source may enable support over 800 * 600....this happened with me once with my nvidia rivat tnt 32 mb agp 3d card.
My default generic driver that came preinstalled with redhat only supported up 800 * 600 and did not perform that well.
I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from nvidia's website and installed them.Not only am i able to run 1024 * 768 resolution now, but also the display quality and performance is very good now.

If all works well on 800 * 600 resolution , then i guess it would be better for u to stick with it

If u encounter some serious errors, like bad performance or video problems etc then only u should try installing a new official driver.

If u are a paranoid like me, and would like to experiment a bit still, then u can try and edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file manually thru a text editor and set custom values for the resolution in the screen resolution.
Make sure u donot mess anything.

But still as i said before, it most probably points that your vga card/monitor and/or your vga driver donot support 1024 resolutions and hence linux skips the 1024 entry and sets and uses the 800 * 600 resolution by default
Linux for Life!
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

reboot in level 3 after making the changes
startx and look at any x errors .xsession-errors or whereever..if you find them..post em here. Its true though that most built in cards dont go over 800x600.
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA

hey guys I did something else. i went to my monitor`s vendor`s site and from there i got the information about horizontal and vertical synchronization of my monitor. then i changed the configuration in display settings and with new settings when i refreshed the x-server, the resolution was good and done. But after that some thing really annoying started happening. i`ll try to make u understand that by following diagram

--------------------------------
| ------------------------
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |------------------------
|

think of the outer square as my ALLOWED DISPLAY SCREEN and inner square as my VISUAL DESKTOP RIGHT NOW. the point is display is not full...i mean almost 3 cm screen from all four sides is black and blank, where as in windows i have the full desktop equal to outter square/screen.

any one has got any idea about that?

and also i went to the vendor`s site of my vga and downloaded driver from there, in that readme file it said that Red Hat 9 will pick up this vga by default and it`ll show it as 'Trident cyberblade (generic)' and thats exactly what my distro is showing, so i guess there is no need to install the driver again, as it has already picked up the right thing, right?

Good Day
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

No problem dude.
You changed the horizontal and vertical sync rates for your monitor to new values that are responsible for the incomplete display screen being used.

Just set the hsync and vsync values back to what they were originally.So the problem will be corrected.

If u dont know the default hsync,vsync values, then just restore the defaults by restoring from the XF86Config.backup file located in /etc/X11/XF86Config.backup to /etc/X11/XF86Config

(it is always advised to make a backup of the bad settings file as well...it would come in handy if the original backup is in any way containing bad settings.)

Now for the driver, Since the vendor site mentions itself that the most suitable driver for redhat is itself the one that comes with redhat by default, so that means, u are already using the most appropriate driver for your vga available, and you will have to stick with the 800 * 600 resolution, which i guess is optimal as well.I have already mentioned in my previous posts the reasons.
outstream wrote:AoA

hey guys I did something else. i went to my monitor`s vendor`s site and from there i got the information about horizontal and vertical synchronization of my monitor. then i changed the configuration in display settings and with new settings when i refreshed the x-server, the resolution was good and done. But after that some thing really annoying started happening. i`ll try to make u understand that by following diagram

| ------------------------
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |------------------------
|

think of the outer square as my ALLOWED DISPLAY SCREEN and inner square as my VISUAL DESKTOP RIGHT NOW. the point is display is not full...i mean almost 3 cm screen from all four sides is black and blank, where as in windows i have the full desktop equal to outter square/screen.

any one has got any idea about that?

and also i went to the vendor`s site of my vga and downloaded driver from there, in that readme file it said that Red Hat 9 will pick up this vga by default and it`ll show it as 'Trident cyberblade (generic)' and thats exactly what my distro is showing, so i guess there is no need to install the driver again, as it has already picked up the right thing, right?

Good Day
Linux for Life!