Linux Loading Failure? and alot of other Problems. :)

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

Linux Loading Failure? and alot of other Problems. :)

Postby jawwadalam » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:28 am

I had installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 on my system with 2 partitions..

I installed the Linux by choosing the Option of paritioning of hard-disk on the Installer's behalf.. !..and Also My installation was with GNOM..not text based.

The Red Hat Linux 8.0 got installed sucessfully, and I was happy to install the Linux for the first time.. I Logged in successfully, used some programmes..and..What happened that A programe got stucked..and I had no option but to forcefully restart the system by hitting the Restart button..

But when the system restarted and It displayed the graphical screen which appears just before the Login screen.. the System got stucked there in a way that it.. flicks the screen after few secs but was unable to proceed...

After I waited for some time it showed me a message telling me about the failure..of Loading

So.. How will I be able to overcome this Problem...?
Pluse..give a hint to save my data as well on the D Partition of the hd..as linux didn't touched that and left that the same..?

And please also let me know how could I recover the partition .. occupied by the Linux.. using FDisk utitliy..? of Windows..? or Is there any way to format the first partition to vfat using any of Red Hat Linux 8.0's utility.

As well as Please let me know how could I install both Linux and windows.. at the same system.. ?

Can you help Me?

Thanks..in Advance.. :)
jawwadalam
Cadet

Postby jargon » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:47 am

Hmm,
Is Windows installed on your system at the moment?

and is windows on the first partition?
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby outstream » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:55 am

AoA

if u r planning to install windows and linux both. i would suggest u to install windows first and then linux. after installing windows when u plan to install linux, then during the linux setup choose manually partition with disk druid. thats the way i chose and it works fine with me. just make /,swap,/boot and /home. there are some books feely available in market which give detailed information about how to set ur partitions manually by using disk druid. and also to make sure u wont get any problems in display again. check the drivers for ur vga card. did linux picked it up automatically when u previously installed it? also get the real specifications about ur monitor such as its horizontal frequency, vertical frequency, image depth etc etc. u can get these specifications easily from the manual which came with ur monitor. incase if u dont have the manual, visit the site of ur monitor`s vendor, all this information will be given there hopefully.

enjoy ur installation.

Good Day
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:05 pm

As regards to the status of your windows partitions:

I am afraid, i have some bad news for ya.

If u choose the auto partitioning option, it deletes all the partitions and creates linux partitions itself.

As a matter of common sense, you should have first checked out articles on installing linux for the first time...and should have chosen the manual partitioning method with disk druid.

Auto partitioning deletes the partition in most cases.

You will be extremely lucky if they did not get deleted.

Now, first of all check what partitions are currently there on your system.

To do that u can use windows (dos)'s fdisk from a bootable cdrom to check the partitions.

or u can use linux's own fdisk.
Simply boot in run level 3, (terminal console) mode and give this command:

fdisk -l (small L0

If the partitions of windows are still there, u can get the data from there.
But if the partitions are gone, then all your data is gone!!! Even in that case, you can indeed recover your data using data recovery softwares like Get Data Back or R-studio or Forensic Utility suite.

To remove linux partitions, u can use linux's gnu parted with the rm switch or u can try windowss (dos version) of fdisk and remove them.But the dos fdisk does give some problems in some cases in deleting non dos partitions.

Partition Magic(for windows/dos) is a tool through which you can easily delete, edit or resize windows and linux partitions.

NOw for that linux error, you said u were able to use the gui correctly without problems initially which means your vga did work correctly.There can be a variety of reasons for the error.
POst the exact error.

Also did u run fsck and e2fsck in console?

After bad system shutdown's, always run fsck/ e2fsck.

To install both windows and linux

This is called dual booting.
Install windows first.
Then install linux on a seperate partition and choose manual partition method.Select partitions for / and swap. Choose lilo or grub as the boot loader and install them on the mbr.For more details search the forum.I have already answered this question many times.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby jawwadalam » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:43 pm

jargon wrote:Hmm,
Is Windows installed on your system at the moment?

and is windows on the first partition?

Yes..Windows was installed on C Drive...!
jawwadalam
Cadet

Postby jawwadalam » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:01 pm

AoA..

Thanks for the response!

About partitioning.. I took a risk.. and let the Default option work.. as I was installing the Linux..without reading any manuals!

and Yes about the vga driver!.. Yes it automatically detected my monitor. Matrox Millenium with 4MB.. but as I changed the 4 MB to 8MB because windows show my carf of 8mb memory.. and I think.. that was the reason..! .. Thanks for the Guidlines... :)

Jawwad Alam

outstream wrote:AoA

if u r planning to install windows and linux both. i would suggest u to install windows first and . aftethen linuxr installing windows when u plan to install linux, then during the linux setup choose manually partition with disk druid. thats the way i chose and it works fine with me. just make /,swap,/boot and /home. there are some books feely available in market which give detailed information about how to set ur partitions manually by using disk druid. and also to make sure u wont get any problems in display again. check the drivers for ur vga card. did linux picked it up automatically when u previously installed it? also get the real specifications about ur monitor such as its horizontal frequency, vertical frequency, image depth etc etc. u can get these specifications easily from the manual which came with ur monitor. incase if u dont have the manual, visit the site of ur monitor`s vendor, all this information will be given there hopefully.

enjoy ur installation.

Good Day
jawwadalam
Cadet

Thanks for the Detailed Responses!

Postby jawwadalam » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:29 pm

Thanks for the detailed response..

Now I am downloading the Manual for installation from redhat's site.. as to read the partitioning method carefully..

I have used the linux's fdisk to delete all the partitions..

Then booted using the win98 bootable cd...and used dos' fdisk to create the dos partitions.. and so on..

and Now.. I have lost some of my Data.. but I am very happy to Jump Into The World Of Linux

One More Question!
I am from Lahore, How could I get register with LinuxPakistan.net as well as how could I reach group members of PLUC Lahore?

Regards,
Jawwad Alam
jawwadalam
Cadet

Postby outstream » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:44 pm

AoA

np any time.

If u can post ur topics here, i think u r already registered with linuxpakistan.net :P , how ever there are member meetings going on in lahore, karachi, islamabad. the schedules of these meetings are told on linuxpakistan.net before the meeting. how ever there are lots of people from lahore who use linuxpakistan.net. u can see the member list and search for ur desired people.

Good Day
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.

----------------------------------------------------

Imran

Registered Linux User # 334322
outstream
Naib Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:25 pm

Good luck this time.
Be careful and read the instructions carefully.

Also if the problem was only due to the resolution,which u didnot mention before, u could have easily edited /etc/X11/XF86Config using a text editor from the console and solved the problem in 2 minutes.

So u see people should describe their problem completely and also what they did that caused the problem..., which u didnot describe in your first post.

ANywayz, now that you are reinstalling, good luck.

ANd donot create more than one post for the same content at a time.You could have made all the replies in a single one.

Good luck!
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Return to “%s” Installation