Installing red hat 7.1 on extended dos partition...

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:23 pm

Most new versions of lilo and grub like those that come with redhat 9 will work (certain exceptions may apply) and one will be able to boot linux directly from the hdd.

I installed using a similar scenario.

I have a 40 gb Seagate hdd.

I partitioned such that, my first partition is an 8.2 gb NTFS partition for WinXp, then the 2nd and 3rd partitions are each FAT32 of 13 GB.
The Remainining 6 gb Is the ext3 drive for Redhat Linux 9

I installed Grub as the bootloader on the Master boot record and it works fine and i am able to boot all the Os'es (WinXp and Redhat 9) directly from the hdd , without any problem.

Hence, just use a new version of Lilo or GRUB, like the one that comes with redhat 9

Also if nothing works, you can always use 3rd party boot loaders Like POWER QUEST BOOTMAGIC (installed from windows),partition star or even XOSL.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby farhantoqeer » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:01 pm

So any virus can kill you MBR :lol: did you tried it installing at your root partion?
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
farhantoqeer
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:25 am

There are two options to install grub:

1.It can be installed on the mbr

or

2. It can be installed into the boot sector of a partition instead of the MBR

In my scenario, option # 1, i.e installing on mbr worked fine , whereas the 2nd one didnt work.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby farhantoqeer » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:18 am

Yes! thats what my point. Usually i do not install linux boot loaders at MBR because you know you can loss your MBR by any virus (if you are using windows too) and what if someone or you too execute fdisk /mbr :P

farhantoqeer
Major General

Postby farhantoqeer » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:25 am

Here it is!
Now we have a geniune problem using boot loaders residing at MBR.
Check this out http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=865

farhantoqeer
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:00 pm

This is not such big a problem.
First of all, you donot lose your mbr so easily...especially if you have a good line of defense against virii and worms.

Yes, you do lose grub as the bootloader, if you install another OS on top of linux, or if you reset it to a previous bootloader using fdis/mbr

If you lose your mbr by anyway r, and your grub bootloader gets uninstalled, it can be installed again in 2 minutes , by booting from the linux rescue cdrom and issuing a simple command.

For instance , in case of redhat 9 (and you installed grub) , if you lose your mbr and the grub bootloader, and you only get the windows bootloader or no bootloader at all, all you need to do is:

Boot from the redhat linux 9 cd
start in rescue mode.

Do a chroot /mnt/sysimage

then give this command:

/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

or generally, /sbin/grub-install HDANUMBER

Thats it... you will have grub again, and you will be able to boot all the OS'es from grub again.

Other than the mbr option, grub can also be installed on the first sector of a partition.THE MBR OPTION WORKS BEST, whereas, THE FIRST SECTOR METHOD DOES NOT WORK ALWAYS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ENCOUNTER THAT 1024 CYLINDER ERROR.

So you see installing grub on the mbr is quite flexible and effecient and is recommended.

farhantoqeer wrote:Here it is!
Now we have a geniune problem using boot loaders residing at MBR.
Check this out http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=865
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby farhantoqeer » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:41 pm

Everything can be reconstructed thats what i believe but why should not make things un-destructable. I still say that MBR is the weakest place to put your boot loader on. If you plan your hard drives partitions well you can overcome the cylinder limitations. Think like you have that kinda scenarios with around more then 100+ computers you cannot re-install them time by time, if it happens your bosses can send you on long leave :P

Cheers!

farhantoqeer
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:18 pm

Well, everybody has a different way of looking at the same thing.

Use the method that you like best and which works for you :P

There are times when only a particular method works and the other fails.
So you should be aware of how to use both...and use the one that works for ya.

farhantoqeer wrote:Everything can be reconstructed thats what i believe but why should not make things un-destructable. I still say that MBR is the weakest place to put your boot loader on. If you plan your hard drives partitions well you can overcome the cylinder limitations. Think like you have that kinda scenarios with around more then 100+ computers you cannot re-install them time by time, if it happens your bosses can send you on long leave

Cheers!
:)
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” Installation