Fixing NIC issue in Ubuntu 6.06

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
Misam Shah
Lance Naik

Fixing NIC issue in Ubuntu 6.06

Post by Misam Shah »

I've installed Ubuntu on Compaq Evo D510S machine, when I installed the O/S there was only a built in NIC on which I configured LTSP but now I've added another NIC of BayLan, but it is shuffling between eth1 and eth2 after every reboot. I need to configure both cards.

How to fix such an issue, it happened last time and I needed to reinstall the machine with two network cards. Can we fix this without reinstalling Ubuntu 6.06?
Misam Shah
Lance Naik

Post by Misam Shah »

Waiting.... :roll:
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i have a file in /etc/modprobe.d that says

Code: Select all

alias forcedeth eth0
alias 8139too eth1
that makes eth0 always be the nvidia-based ethernet device (on the motherboard), and eth1 always be the realtek card.

figure out which drivers are used for your onboard ethernet device and ethernet card, and create a similar configuration file.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
Misam Shah
Lance Naik

Post by Misam Shah »

Well sorry brother, I couldn't get you. I opened that folder but after I fould a directory of arch and some files one of them was named with nvidia-kernel-nkc

Can u further explain this plz.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

man -k modprobe, and read the documentation.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?