Need Cooperation From Gurus

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

I am not a Guru hope you do not mind my pitching in :)

I could be wrong but this error has some thing to do with default route. Just to eliminate that possiability do following:

Start your system and then go de-activate your eth0. To be sure just ping any other machine and error message will confirm that eth0 is not available.

Go ahead and try dialing and keep the log and see if you still get the same error.
linx9
Naik

Post by linx9 »

Despite all my efforts, the dialer isn't working, although I can hear the clicking sound, the one you hear an instant before the modem dials the number, but I can't hear the dial tone...................

After trying ur suggestion, the modem got bonkers :( and it started clicking indefinitely after every 30 seconds, unless i reboot my system, it won't stop clicking......

The wvdial I tried was giving the same error again:

[root@localhost root]# wvdial wol
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53

--> Cannot open /dev/ttySHCF0: Device or resource busy

this is my last post, if I can't solve this problem, I'm gonna give up on linux..... :oops:
zaki486
Company Havaldaar Major

just try online how-to s as they help much more

Post by zaki486 »

www.redhat.com/docs/howto
and search the forum to get linux.com
linux.org
check etc sites for help
or i think faraz .fazil aur outstream may help
you in these matters
better search the forums

zaki486
linx9
Naik

Post by linx9 »

Hi again guys, after a long, long time, I'm back. Since my HDD broke, and my family had to shift somewhere else, where there was no telephone connection. I bought a new HDD, but was reluctant to try linux again, as I cannot use internet to look for my problems or search for answers, but now that my telephone is functional, I'll let you guys know in a day, and pls can you recommend me a good and cheap ISA modem???
Thanx
linx9
Naik

Post by linx9 »

Salaam Once Again Guys!!!!

I've finally done it. Right now I'm using internet from Linux. Though the speed isn't that great, but it's better than nothing I guess. It occurred to me that the CDs I bought were defective, b'coz they won't let me install KDE or anything else. So, I borrowed one from my friend, and it went smoothly. And yes, using KPPP was very very easy, I was connected on the first try. Th@nx once again to all folks here, Keep up the good work and God Bless You.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Congrats !!
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Congrats dude.
Linux for Life!
linx9
Naik

Post by linx9 »

Sorry to bother you again guys, but this isn't about a problem i'm having, it's about the damn font sizes in the browsers that linux have. Normally I use to work in 1024*768 res. in windows, so I chose the same for linux. Unfortunately, the fonts have become so small that they can be barely read, but when i switch it lower, i.e 800*600, the fonts become insanely big...... :shock: .......This is very bothersome as the web sites that i used to visit while using windows are showing like thumbnails in Linux.....Please can you tell me any other good browser, b'coz i've tried many settings, but the damn thing won't load the fonts the way I want them......

And one thing that I've noted about my modem and net connection. While the modem is working absolutely fine, the speed is limited to 14.4KBPS only, thanx to "Linuxant.COM" site, who charges a fee to unlock it's complete features and full speed for the modem...... :evil:

Is there anyone who has the same modem as mine, but is using a different driver other than Linuxant's site. B'coz so far this is the only driver i've been able to find on the net for my model..My modem is APACHE 56k Voice Speakerphone HCF PCI Modem.....
linx9
Naik

Post by linx9 »

Mr. Faraz, there's one thing I need to ask you. I was reading your guide about recompiling the kernel in order to get maximum performance out of linux and the hardware I'm using.

1. Although Linux runs fine under my system, sometimes it gets stuck for a while, like it's loading something, then I managed to find a "Task Manager" alike thing in the system settings, which showed that there were "59" processes actively running on my system :shock: !!!!!!!!...............I've got 384 MB RAM installed, but still it takes a while before opening windows. I'm using XP besides Linux, and I've configured it and disabled most of it's services, so it only starts with 10 processes instead of 20-25........Can you please guide me how to disable services in Linux so that they stop consuming "precious" system resources????

2. My kernel version is 2.4.20-8.....I use grub as the default boot loader, since LILO wasn't loading the dual boot menu......I've checked the kernel site and the latest version available is 2.6 (stable version that is )......... The file size is 31.4 MB.......DO I have to download this huge file?????

3. About recompiling the kernel, you mentioned in ur guide that it takes a great deal of time to recompile the kernel..... Can you tell me exactly how long it takes the recompilation process to be completed....\\

4. Being a noob that I am, although I'm willing to take the risk no matter what, do you think it's better to update the kernel version....will it increase the overall performance of my system ???

5. Since I live in lahore, I've inquired about books on Linux, but unfortunately very few books were available, and those few were too complex, they were beyond my comprehension, and they were pretty old, i.e, Red Hat 6.0 or 7.0.... Since I'm using RED HAT 9, can you recommend me any good books on Linux, since my cousin lives here in karachi, I'll ask him to send this book to me through mail, should I not be able to get this book in lahore.....

Th@nX