problem with mandrake 9

Taking care of your Linux box.

problem with mandrake 9

Postby farhanksa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:16 pm

i am instaling mandrake 9 for 4 th time on the same box it stucks i don t knwo y...??
i installed it on dif h/w and then pluged my hd on the first box
when I boot it gives me the message that it can't find the Init file. How could I fix this?
farhanksa
Subedar

WLM: farhan12@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: commdsl@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:42 pm

Well i maybe able to help you.
First of all, if u install linux on one box with a peculiar hardware config
and then u plug the hdd on another box, it will not work in most cases, since all the hardware and machine specific configs would be different.So you would have to rerun all hardware probes and configure the new hardware thru kudzu etc.Also some services would need to be enabled/disabled.This is why installing linux or any os on one hdd on one box for use with another box isnt recommended.

Now for the original thing...there maybe a wide range of causes of the setup getting stuck.You didnt mention where exactly does it get stuck, and any messages?
Did u check ur bios options and tried disabling suspected bios options like internal cache, video shadowing and las cat?If not, then try checking and changing the bios options.Make sure ur cdrom isnt weak or not working properly.

Also check to make sure you dont have any hardware that is incompatible with linux and maybe casung the crashes, by taking out all the hardware components one by one and expermineting by running the setup.

Once you mention the problem in detail like where does it get stuck, i may be able to better help you.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

i had been practicing installation n diff h/w

Postby farhanksa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:54 pm

aoa
i had been practicing installation n diff h/w and using it on diff h/w

but the thing is ur bot process i mean the loader file configuraion must be for that to boot properly... and ithik linux is the best and fastest portable os i had ever used. another thing is kudzu does soem times many foolish things like removing and detecting the h/w which is not there
farhanksa
Subedar

Re: i had been practicing installation n diff h/w

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:02 pm

For the case in which linux mandrake setup crashes/ stucks,
======================================
As i said before, there may be a variety of issues that maybe causing the installation to hang.SO try the steps i mentioend including the one by one h/w swapping technique etc.

Again you didnt mention the exact point during the mandrake install where the setup hangs.Is it that you are just trying swapping linux drives from one pc to another?

i agree linux is portable.But many times hardware that is incompatible with linux causes such stucks/crashes.For instance an incomptabile vga or agp may cause linux to hang during the setup phase.

A hands on inspection of the pc is the best way to resolve such "setup stucks/crashes"

For the init error:
==============
It maybe that the init config file location may have changed or the init file that worked on the first box, maybe incompatible with ur 2nd box, in case of which u may need a new compatible init file.

farhanksa wrote:aoa
i had been practicing installation n diff h/w and using it on diff h/w

but the thing is ur bot process i mean the loader file configuraion must be for that to boot properly... and ithik linux is the best and fastest portable os i had ever used. another thing is kudzu does soem times many foolish things like removing and detecting the h/w which is not there
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

thats y its recomended that ur runlevel should be 3

Postby farhanksa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:09 pm

aoa
thats y its recomended that ur runlevel should be 3

another thing is ...there must be seom other way to communicate btween members rather than posting???
farhanksa
Subedar

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:54 pm

There are the following run evels:

Run level 0=> Halt
Run level 1 => Start linux in single user mode.doesnt require a password.Used when u have forgotten ur passwords.

Run level 3 => Text Based i.e terminal only.You can type startx in terminal to start X
Run level 5 => Full gui mode.

Hmm if u want to communicate with users other than posting u may add them on msn/icq/aol

You can add me on msn/icq/aol if u want.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

this is the problem

Postby umair007 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:21 pm

actually i have also experienced the same thing

if you have bought this cd return it and get one form pluc cause these cds are tempered it is because of kdevelop it is not present on the cd if you want you can disable k develop when you install or unmark development or what ever it is to stop these libraries from installing then mandrake will install without a hitch

i also had the same thing so had to go for rh 9 although my love is for mandrake i am waiting for drake 9.1 its great

or install drake 9 with default packages and download the rpms later

i dont know why is this because the cd which i bought was originally copied froma pluc cd because it had some code and written about pluc also
umair007
Naik

WLM: umair@mystupidschool.com
Yahoo Messenger: umair_aslam19

Re: this is the problem

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:42 pm

No offences, but the error farhan talked about , has got nothing to do with what you mentioned. omair.The init file error is not in any way linked to kdevelop.Just that you experienced an error and thought that others would have that error as well.BUt i do recommend buying cd's that have been tested by pluc.

umair007 wrote:actually i have also experienced the same thing

if you have bought this cd return it and get one form pluc cause these cds are tempered it is because of kdevelop it is not present on the cd if you want you can disable k develop when you install or unmark development or what ever it is to stop these libraries from installing then mandrake will install without a hitch

i also had the same thing so had to go for rh 9 although my love is for mandrake i am waiting for drake 9.1 its great

or install drake 9 with default packages and download the rpms later

i dont know why is this because the cd which i bought was originally copied froma pluc cd because it had some code and written about pluc also
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

correction

Postby umair007 » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:25 am

oh yea i didnt read it carefully i am sorry but then also i will say him to try it the 5th time he can with development disabled or wait for the great dake 9.1

according to newsforge drake 9.1 has got 8.4/10 compared to 7.8/10 of redhat this seems awesome
umair007
Naik

WLM: umair@mystupidschool.com
Yahoo Messenger: umair_aslam19

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:17 am

Omair, You cant consider just one review to portray the entire scene correctly.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Return to “%s” Administration