nebody used X-Win32 ? or winaxe (xserver in windows for nix)

Taking care of your Linux box.

nebody used X-Win32 ? or winaxe (xserver in windows for nix)

Postby hb » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:33 pm

aoa all.

query is simple as in subject...

i want to know experience, and to know wht exactly it is.

thnx in advance.

tc all,
AH
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous
hb
Lance Naik

Postby fawad » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:18 am

hb,
I've used XFree86/Cygwin for about 1 year with relatively little problems. I mainly use it to use my home Linux box from work.

I'm not sure what exactly it is you want to know about it.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby hb » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:48 pm

i m talking about
remote visual interface ...

i feel like as if it is like terminal services client... stuff like that..

plz check on internet
about X-win32.... as i mentioned.

tc.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous
hb
Lance Naik

Postby fawad » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:20 pm

hb,
I already know what X-Win32. I was asking you what information you needed about it.
X is different from Terminal Services. Terminal Services gives you a complete desktop on the remote machine. Everything you do on this desktop stays on this desktop. When you close the Terminal Services window without logging off, the session keeps running.
Using the X servers, what happens is that you log into the remote machines and run the applications. The difference is that the application is rendered on your machine by your X Server. For example, if you run xcalc on the remote machine, the calculations happen on the server, but the rendering happens using X primitives sent by the server. As a result, from the X point of view, there is no difference between remote and local apps. Both show as regular windows.
If you want to emulate the Terminal Services behavior (remote session; isolated in it's own window), use VNC instead. VNC Server on Linux allows multiple sessions (as opposed to a single shared session on Windows), giving you the same functionality as Terminal Services.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby shirwany » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:18 pm

Asslam o alaikum,

I am using x-win32 to run solaris and linux apps on windows. It is a usefull utility specially when unix applications require 8bit color plane. For such application we have to use 8bit resolution on linux box which is not useable in some cases. Xwin-32 is easy to configure and use. On the negative side, if your unix application require special fonts this is not a good choice. You might want to try exceed in such case. Anonther concern regarding xwin32 is its poor secuirity. Here at my department we are not allowed to run xwin32 directly instead we use ssh client from F-Secure together with xwin32 to run unix applications under windows.

I use linux at home and office and dont like the windows but sometime one has to compromise to do some productive work.

Allah hafiz,

Akbar
shirwany
Cadet

Return to “%s” Administration