Quota Server

Taking care of your Linux box.

Quota Server

Postby Winwun » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:45 pm

I need some help on using Disk/Storage Quota server on linux networks.

What are the choices available on Linux for setting up a quota server?
Is there a built-in quota server in any distro?
Does Samba has a quota server?
Do these quota servers provide volume level or/and directory level quota administration?
Are there any commercial quota servers available for Linux servers and networks?

Thanks

Furqan
Winwun
Cadet

Re: Quota Server

Postby lambda » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:11 am

you have to enable quota support in your kernel. type "dmesg | grep -i quota" to see if the support is builtin (otherwise, you have to recompile your kernel). there is no separate server ("daemon") for it.

next, man -k quota, and use edquota and quotacheck to set it up. there's also a howto floating around for it.
lambda
Major General

Postby Winwun » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:58 pm

But lambda ! I'm talking about managing file server disk quota. The built-in quota manager only checks for the volume level quota. right?

How would you manage the size of home folder/directory for the network users? I'm talking about the file server or generally where the users keep there files besides the workstation hard drives.

But your reply has been informative for me,

Thanks
Winwun
Cadet

Postby lambda » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:23 pm

Winwun wrote:But lambda ! I'm talking about managing file server disk quota. The built-in quota manager only checks for the volume level quota. right?

i have no idea what "volume level quota" means on a unix machine. the software i've described works on filesystems.
lambda
Major General

Postby Winwun » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:36 pm

If it only manages file system quota then I'm pretty sure that it is only volume level i.e. it only manages for the amount of space on a local hard drive that can be used by a user.

What if i say that all the users on the network can put their stuff on a common location (usually a directory) and thet each one of them has a seperate directory for their storage. They can access this storage from any workstation on the network. But how do i manage the sapce that can be used by a user or a group? The Quota server jumps in and lets me administer that common storage directory in every possible way like group policy, user policy, storage limits etc.

So, what Quota servers can I use?
Winwun
Cadet

Postby lambda » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:38 am

Winwun wrote:If it only manages file system quota then I'm pretty sure that it is only volume level i.e. it only manages for the amount of space on a local hard drive that can be used by a user.

space used by a user or group on a filesystem, not hard drive. please make sure your terminology is correct.

What if i say that all the users on the network can put their stuff on a common location (usually a directory) and thet each one of them has a seperate directory for their storage. They can access this storage from any workstation on the network. But how do i manage the sapce that can be used by a user or a group? The Quota server jumps in and lets me administer that common storage directory in every possible way like group policy, user policy, storage limits etc.

if the common location is a filesystem, the commands i pointed you to will do what you want.
lambda
Major General

Return to “%s” Administration